Forums

Help › Forums

Struggling to choose the right putter, help

Mon, Jul 1 2013 7:35 PM (45 replies)
  • AndreasHelke
    676 Posts
    Fri, Apr 26 2013 12:26 PM

The L51 Nike Method putter works very well for me. I am almost always aiming 1 to 2 feet behind the hole. This avoids ending up short and improves the chance that you actually end up in the hole on short puts. And if you miss the hole you are close enough to virtually guarantee that the next one gets down.

I use purposely missing the ding to compensate for the gradient in most greens.

Before the Nike I used the Ping Anser. The performance of that putter does not even come close to the Nike putter.

• DarkenRahl
    2,115 Posts
    Fri, Apr 26 2013 10:46 PM

Just to throw another into the mix, if you like  the Nike 10 and 20 foot meters try the Max Master tier putter.  Has those same 10 and 20 foot meters plus seems to not have the Nike soft roll on those under 10 footers.  Also the 30, 40 , 60, 80, and 100 foot meters make using the first avatar move to putt (easier to ding) a breeze.    

• muley420
    2 Posts
    Fri, May 24 2013 6:23 PM

this is going to sound so stupid but i can't find the rossa in the pro shop.

• Reaytj
    114 Posts
    Sat, May 25 2013 6:02 PM

alosso:

The various styles of putting are important here.

Are you a "ding" putter? => avoid the Rossa.

Are you an "off-ding" putter? avoid the Nike.

I'm not sure about the Redwoods.

I'm a ding putter for all distances past 10 feet, I'm an off-ding putter for less than 10 feet. My  Rossa reacts as expected if I do my part by either hitting the ding or off-ding depending on the particular putt

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, May 25 2013 9:33 PM

muley420:

this is going to sound so stupid but i can't find the rossa in the pro shop.

It's on the 2nd page of putters. TaylorMade makes it.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sat, May 25 2013 10:00 PM

Tp707:

Normal 0 false false false EN-ZA X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

I’ve rented the Redwood ZB Putter, NIKE Method 001 Putter, now I’m renting the Rossa, which is the best out of the lot?

I see you have the Rossa in the bag.....   good choice.

That was the 1st putters I got about 3 yrs ago and stuck to it..... With time it can be a great putter.

i just got the Odyssey....  for an Upgrade... slower meter too... Very good too :)

-Roger

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, May 26 2013 12:03 AM

mantis0014:
    With time it can be a great putter.

Time being the operative word there. Committing to a decent putter and sticking with it is the best thing you can do for your game. Too many players blame themselves or their putter for not being able to consistently make putts and then lose confidence in the putter.  

The greens change so often that it's hard to be consistent unless you recognize that they change AND trust your putter. The longer you use a putter, the better it feels to you and you begin to putt instinctively.  Green speed recognition follows and you're able to adapt quickly to the change in greens from day to day. Just give it time to all come together.  :-)

• borntobesting
    9,686 Posts
    Sun, May 26 2013 12:27 AM

What ever putter you choose stick with it. Don't be an idiot like me and keep buying the newest putter when they come out. All that will do is cause you much frustration and destroy your confidence in your putting. See Jim I finally learned my lesson. 

• DoctorEagle
    1,312 Posts
    Sun, May 26 2013 4:03 AM

double post...

• DoctorEagle
    1,312 Posts
    Sun, May 26 2013 4:03 AM

borntobesting:
    Don't be an idiot like me and keep buying the newest putter when they come out.

Distance control and execution is about half the battle and confidence is the other half as btb mentioned. I was using the Nike Method for a long time but lost confidence with it after missing too many short putts, and I really started to dislike the slow meter too because of the variance from club to club... All aboard the ship of fools, snapped another putter in half lol.

Been using the Max Distance Putter lately, at least until the next gimmick putter comes out ;) . Still not making as many putts as I'd like but I like it a lot better than the Nike. The distance control helps keep it at 2 putts or fewer for the most part if you putt using the first move on each meter like me.

RSS