Forums

Help › Forums

Struggling to choose the right putter, help

Mon, Jul 1 2013 7:35 PM (45 replies)
  • alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Tue, Apr 2 2013 9:44 PM

This may be true on Standard greens.

On Very Fast, it's plain wrong, to say it politely. These are faster, have 20% more roll.

There are putting spreadsheets available - have a look around!

• petrik441
    136 Posts
    Fri, Apr 12 2013 2:20 AM

hello all

I would like to upgrade my starter putter to one of two 400cr putters - Spider or iWi Anser.  I would appreciate any advices based on your experiences with them - pluses and minuses, strenghts and weaknesses of both of them.

I am a "low cost player" so don´t want to waste credits for renting them.

thanks in advance for your help :)

• RKPayne
    213 Posts
    Mon, Apr 15 2013 8:53 PM

petrik441:

hello all

I would like to upgrade my starter putter to one of two 400cr putters - Spider or iWi Anser.  I would appreciate any advices based on your experiences with them - pluses and minuses, strenghts and weaknesses of both of them.

I am a "low cost player" so don´t want to waste credits for renting them.

thanks in advance for your help :)

I recommend getting the Rossa!! It's inexpensive, and really good. I have tried at least 90 percent of all putters on here, and this one sure suits me best. I know it's different strokes for different folks, but I don't believe you will go wrong with the Rossa.

Cheers, Bob Payne

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Mon, Apr 15 2013 10:57 PM

What you say!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Apr 16 2013 5:17 AM

petrik441:
    I would like to upgrade my starter putter to one of two 400cr putters - Spider or iWi Anser. 

Precision with a putter is important and the Anser has more than the Spider. The tradeoff is in the meter speed and the Spider has the slower one at the cost of 1 dot in Precision.

If there's any way you can consider getting the Rossa mentioned above you'll be better off for it. That will be the last putter you buy for a long time as there are many, many high level players that still use it. Hardly any of them use the Spider or the Anser.

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Tue, Apr 16 2013 6:52 AM

Had the Rossa forever..... tried  some of the  high end putters. Bought the top Ghost putter and tried it for a month, never could putt as well as with the Rossa.  

• SOYEL1
    698 Posts
    Tue, Apr 16 2013 7:31 AM

I am all for the Rossa too. Just shot a 26 with it at Oakmont. You need to learn it. It really does some weird things from time*** to time but it's a great putter. Since I have trouble dinging, I often don't try to. Instead, I aim closer in whichever direction and try pulling or pushing it. Only try to ding on straight putts. And yes, I tried others, sold them or never bought them. Look at the earnings leader this month and see what he is using... It's a great putter for the price.

*** Half the scale can go around 11-12 feet in Tournament or Champ greens but 1/4 inch more can leave you short of 12 in some putts. Others it just goes 15 or more.

• micheldess
    819 Posts
    Tue, Apr 16 2013 9:23 AM

i buy the rossa couple of weeks  ago, it's a good putter for the price, just me  the problem, i'm not a good putter lol

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Wed, Apr 17 2013 10:18 AM

I've had the Rossa for quite a while, and it does exactly what I want it to do.  Also has a good price.

I'm not going to pay an extra thousand credits for a picture of a damn swoosh on my club, in some ***-eyed belief that it's "better".

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Apr 17 2013 10:47 AM

MichaelStroke:
    I'm not going to pay an extra thousand credits for a picture of a damn swoosh on my club, in some ***-eyed belief that it's "better".

Oh but it is. At least if you look at the attributes. 1 1/2 dots more forgiveness and 1 dot more in balance is a huge difference. Throw the slower meter in there and that 1000 credits becomes understandable.  :-)

RSS