Forums

Help › Forums

Green wedge shots....

rated by 0 users
Sun, Apr 7 2013 2:27 AM (5 replies)
  • TicaMC03
    36 Posts
    Sat, Apr 6 2013 1:03 PM

Let me start this blog in an effort to just satisfy the masses, and get some feedback and opinions regarding this issue that seems to continually plague me . I first became aware that you could wedge on the green on hole 10 at St Andrews months ago when some player ( name not be said )....drained a 30 fter from the right side of the green to eagle. Amazed, and shocked, I quickly started practicing the shot to refine my game, and also because it looked downright "NASTY" when they dropped. To my surprise....just as i was getting good at it, WGT and friends decided to take the spin scenerio out of it ...... i could still do it......but not with spin of any kind. OMG......was i disappointed! I practiced that shot for weeks and weeks because it made me enjoy "this game " even more.... and now they take it away? What a waste of time! All the hours practicing and practicing! So instead of crying about it.....I went back to practicing again......hours and hours figuring out speed and elevations and wind.......to get to where i am now. A player who wedges about 50/50 with my putting.....obviously wedging more when my approaches are bad because im 30 ft away from the pin, and less when im playing better and im closer. So as of right now, I think i've gotten pretty good at it, and i feel comfortable putting or wedging because its part of my game and i love it. Now,....to the reason of this blog. To me.....this is a great game and WGT knows how to put it out there, sell it, and make money off of it. Besides the meter nonsense and the occasional" WTH " from all of us.......overall there is nothing that comes close ......in my opinion. But I'm getting tired of being called expletives and a cheater.........can i do it or not? First of all I understand that the realistic nature of this game is what sells it to many that continually spend dollars in here buying balls and equipment and playing tournaments.......but......isnt this just a game? Ive been threatened and ridiculed enough already. This is not real golf,....it is a game, and it is a program, desighed to simulate real golf. Regardless what i spend.....and I do spend alot.....its the non perfections of the game that keep it a game. When you crash your car in GranTurismo and it magically reappears after its totaled brand spankin new ready to go.......do you complain because its not real? Heck no,......you just keep going. Is it cheating when i wedge a shot in? I only do what the game lets me do to get the ball in the hole! I want to know what other players think.....but I really want to know what WGT thinks.....Enough already!

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Sat, Apr 6 2013 5:51 PM

The wedge shot is perfectly fine. Only a very small minority of people who don't know the rules of golf really get vocal about it and want it stopped. There are a few here that use the wedge more often than you will see or a greenskeeper will allow in real life but it is perfectly legal.

The spin was taken out of it to make it a little more realistic compared to real life golf.

It's not a shot that I use but I don't have any problem with those who do. If it helps your game and it's legal, go for it.

You have no need to explain or apologize.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Sat, Apr 6 2013 9:55 PM

Can I make a suggestion here and it isn't a dig at anybody, but you're a lot more likely to get your point across if you use paragraphs.

It makes it a lot more likely to get read as people see a mass of text and think no, I won't bother.

• jeffc46221
    621 Posts
    Sat, Apr 6 2013 10:34 PM

Dont worry bout the idiots who call you a cheat Tic. Any time you or i play a mpc/skins game ya know i dont care that ya do it. Most people complain bout it cus they are NOT good enough at it to do it so they complain. 

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sat, Apr 6 2013 11:07 PM

Tell em go write Phil Mickelson......can't see him bothering to answer LOL.............They need to get a grip...wedge away..good on ya!

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Sun, Apr 7 2013 2:27 AM

srellim234:

The wedge shot is perfectly fine. Only a very small minority of people who don't know the rules of golf really get vocal about it and want it stopped. There are a few here that use the wedge more often than you will see or a greenskeeper will allow in real life but it is perfectly legal.

The spin was taken out of it to make it a little more realistic compared to real life golf.

It's not a shot that I use but I don't have any problem with those who do. If it helps your game and it's legal, go for it.

You have no need to explain or apologize.

+1!

Furtheron, while a greenkeeper might have a POV to object (yet no right to ban play by the rules), this is not true here. There is no damage of the virtual greens involved, so why not do what the software allows, with quiet conscience?

RSS