Forums

Help › Forums

Game consistency and conditions not great...

rated by 0 users
Sun, Apr 21 2013 3:33 AM (5 replies)
  • hamburner
    2 Posts
    Sat, Apr 20 2013 7:58 PM

I'm wondering if there is a reason that on stroke play (what I normally play) there are no varied green speeds (very fast - always) and 10 - 20 mph wind conditions. I have also noticed that since I have turned tour pro, I lip out 2 to 3 putts a round and have 2 to 3 putts within 2 - 6 inches per round....even with hitting the stroke perfectly. Is it designed to make me think that I need to buy a better putter and/or balls? I use a putter that cost 1350 and balls that cost 425...I literally haven't been able to post a sub-par round in a month ( I play every day without fail).  Today I landed a ball 2 feet from the pin with a 60 degree wedge (with back spin) only to watch it slowly start rolling off to the side and end up 35 ft from the hole. I'm seriously considering packing it in and looking for another past time...

• lonniescott711
    4,204 Posts
    Sat, Apr 20 2013 9:57 PM

hamburner:

I'm wondering if there is a reason that on stroke play (what I normally play) there are no varied green speeds (very fast - always) and 10 - 20 mph wind conditions. I have also noticed that since I have turned tour pro, I lip out 2 to 3 putts a round and have 2 to 3 putts within 2 - 6 inches per round....even with hitting the stroke perfectly. Is it designed to make me think that I need to buy a better putter and/or balls? I use a putter that cost 1350 and balls that cost 425...I literally haven't been able to post a sub-par round in a month ( I play every day without fail).  Today I landed a ball 2 feet from the pin with a 60 degree wedge (with back spin) only to watch it slowly start rolling off to the side and end up 35 ft from the hole. I'm seriously considering packing it in and looking for another past time...

First thing you do is get rid of the hybrid , and get another wedge. Then start playing practice stroke play rounds. You will still get your XP points, but the scores will not affect your average. In practice rounds you can pick the tees you want to play from , and you also get to set green and wind speeds .You have good clubs, now practice and learn how to use them.The moer you practice , the better you will get .Hope this helps. Happy Swinging

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Sun, Apr 21 2013 12:28 AM

Guys, the question is mainly about putting, would you mind to stick with that?

hamburner:
    Is it designed to make me think that I need to buy a better putter and/or balls? I use a putter that cost 1350 and balls that cost 425...
    AFAIK, any ball acts the same on the putting green, it's only the putter making the difference.

That said, Nike 20XI-S balls seem a wee bit disproportionate for a mid TP. I'd suggest Tour-SDs.

I can't tell why your putts lip out - mine do so sometimes, too. Maybe your putts are too hard?

And the Cleveland wedges are famous for their zzzip-back characteristics, supported by the Nike balls - perhaps you'd have to use less bs or even a little top spin?

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Sun, Apr 21 2013 1:51 AM

hamburner:
    Today I landed a ball 2 feet from the pin with a 60 degree wedge (with back spin) only to watch it slowly start rolling off to the side and end up 35 ft from the hole. I'm seriously considering packing it in and looking for another past time...

If you condense that sentence it looks like it reads. "This game is getting hard so I may quit". Surely you're not going to let it beat you? 

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sun, Apr 21 2013 3:33 AM

alosso:

That said, Nike 20XI-S balls seem a wee bit disproportionate for a mid TP. I'd suggest Tour-SDs.

I couldnt agree more, seems like a waste to me

alosso:

I can't tell why your putts lip out - mine do so sometimes, too. Maybe your putts are too hard?

Putts lip out for two reasons only, speed and line - the faster the greens, the more accurate your line and speed must be.

And Cleveland wedges with the Nile will zip the ball back a lot, especially landing on a downslop.

My advice is play a LOT more rounds, take notes and learn. This game takes a lot of learning to master - I am far from being an expert however with experience you do get better. For the putting, search the forums as there is a plethora of good tips in here. For the record I still like the starters putter for putts under 10 feet, over that its is very average so a better putter does help - once you learn how to use it.

Too many people come into the forums moaning that WGT is inconsistant, the game sucks etc without ever making any real effort to learn the game. This game is not easy to master without some effort, time and practice and if it was we would get bored real quick.

RSS