Help › Forums

Tiers - why am I moving up?

rated by 0 users
Sun, Apr 28 2013 7:58 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Triplehook
    5 Posts
    Wed, Apr 24 2013 8:07 PM

I just moved to "Master". Im at level 48 (which is low) My scoring average as a "Tour Pro" was 67.46 - My best round was a 67.  I have never won a tournament, and have an 50-50 match play record.  Im not complaining about moving up, but I don't feel that I was even that competitive at the "Tour Pro" level.  I see "Tour Pro's" at higher level and lower scoring averages (i think) than I was at when I moved to Master.  

Is there an official scoring average tier structure?  this way i can at least know when I will jump up a level...

-triplehook

• WakeIsland
    213 Posts
    Thu, Apr 25 2013 10:46 AM

Triplehook:

I just moved to "Master". Im at level 48 (which is low) My scoring average as a "Tour Pro" was 67.46 - My best round was a 67.  I have never won a tournament, and have an 50-50 match play record.  Im not complaining about moving up, but I don't feel that I was even that competitive at the "Tour Pro" level.  I see "Tour Pro's" at higher level and lower scoring averages (i think) than I was at when I moved to Master.  

Is there an official scoring average tier structure?  this way i can at least know when I will jump up a level...

-triplehook

Someone else work, I just copy/paste:

• When your average score is equal or smaller than 100 you go from hack to amateur.
    • When it is equal or smaller than 80 you go from amateur to pro.
    • When it is equal or smaller than 72 you go from pro to tour pro
    • When it is equal or smaller than 67 you go from tour pro to Master
    • When it is equal or smaller than 63 you go from Master to Tour master
    • When it is equal or smaller than 61 you go from Tour master to legend
    • When it is equal or smaller than 60 you go from Legend to Tour Legend*

and

• you need to play at least 5 ranked rounds as hack before reaching Amateur
    • you need to play at least 10 ranked rounds as amateur before reaching Pro
    • you need to play at least 20 ranked rounds as Pro before reaching Tour pro
    • you need to play at least 25 ranked rounds as Tour pro before reaching Master
    • you need to play at least 40 ranked rounds as Master before reaching Tour Master
    • you need to play at least 50 ranked rounds as Tour Master before reaching Legend
    • You need at least 100 ranked rounds as Legend before reaching Tour Legend

Notice that those minimal number of ranked rounds are also the number of best rounds used to compute your average in that particular tier. So if you are Tour Master for example, your average is computed with your best 50 ranked round (that's why you need at least 50 rounds to move up).

• kilbraur
    219 Posts
    Thu, Apr 25 2013 10:52 AM

You beat a Legend in a match play, beating someone of a higher tier helps move you up.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Thu, Apr 25 2013 10:54 AM

Moving up is good, embrace it.

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Fri, Apr 26 2013 9:14 PM

WakeIsland:
    You need at least 100 ranked rounds as Legend before reaching Tour Legend

Not correct

You need at least 500 ranked rounds as Legend before reaching Tour Legend

• jhg300
    8 Posts
    Fri, Apr 26 2013 9:37 PM

This chart is definitely not correct.

I just moved from master to tour master after 19 rounds and an average of 63.45

Although all of those rounds are 18 hole rounds, so maybe they break them up into front 9 and back 9 for tiering purposes.

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Fri, Apr 26 2013 9:57 PM

WakeIsland:

Triplehook:

-triplehook

Someone else work, I just copy/paste:

• When your average score is equal or smaller than 100 you go from hack to amateur.
    • When it is equal or smaller than 80 you go from amateur to pro.
    • When it is equal or smaller than 72 you go from pro to tour pro
    • When it is equal or smaller than 67 you go from tour pro to Master
    • When it is equal or smaller than 63 you go from Master to Tour master
    • When it is equal or smaller than 61 you go from Tour master to legend
    • When it is equal or smaller than 60 you go from Legend to Tour Legend*

and

• you need to play at least 5 ranked rounds as hack before reaching Amateur
    • you need to play at least 10 ranked rounds as amateur before reaching Pro
    • you need to play at least 20 ranked rounds as Pro before reaching Tour pro
    • you need to play at least 25 ranked rounds as Tour pro before reaching Master
    • you need to play at least 40 ranked rounds as Master before reaching Tour Master
    • you need to play at least 50 ranked rounds as Tour Master before reaching Legend
    • You need at least 100 ranked rounds as Legend before reaching Tour Legend

Notice that those minimal number of ranked rounds are also the number of best rounds used to compute your average in that particular tier. So if you are Tour Master for example, your average is computed with your best 50 ranked round (that's why you need at least 50 rounds to move up).

Had not seen this before, it's interesting. I've been a Master for over a year, and have I don't know how many rounds at this tier---still a Master. Not really complaining as I'm not "driven" to move up. Just saying there has to be more to it than just the numbers. I do know if you're close to a tier and beat a higher ranked player you will be bumped up--response to "sandbagging" issue.

In response to the original question about automatic bumping up---just remember as you get higher up the tees get further away, hence you need NEW CLUBS FROM THE PRO SHOP, AND YES MUST DO BETTER THAN STARTER BALLS!! This is a business and Mr.WGT is in it to make the big bucks!  That's ok, just remember it drives everything in this game.

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Sun, Apr 28 2013 6:46 AM

jhg300:

This chart is definitely not correct.

I just moved from master to tour master after 19 rounds and an average of 63.45

Although all of those rounds are 18 hole rounds, so maybe they break them up into front 9 and back 9 for tiering purposes.

The chart is definitely correct for people who have tiered up and wish to tier up the traditional method by playing and lowering ones average through ranked rounds vs people who are tiered up via the WGT anti sandbag implementation of dramatically lowering averages and tiering up players who beat higher tiers in scored Match Play or players scoring low and winning in RG's, such as in your case how you were tiered up with more than a 63 avg.

• jsweetcr
    1,209 Posts
    Sun, Apr 28 2013 7:15 AM

Something that also is not being factored in here or mentioned, and i didn't check the players profiles, is whether the ranked rounds being played are in RGs or other tournaments and the players are earning credits. 

I moved up in every tier from pro to legend earlier than what the stated numbers were, but the majority of my ranked rounds were in RGs and the majority of my results were platinum or better, earning me significant credits and I guess trophies as well. I believe this is another defense to people who multi account and pass credits to new account for gear then come in and play credit earning tourneys and win.

I know these factor in to the equation

• togemag
    991 Posts
    Sun, Apr 28 2013 8:52 AM

There seems to be many factors (not knowing the equation), I have seen others who like playing many rounds in Alt. Play and Match Play move up, with very few rounds of RG or general rounds of play. Also with the people that like Bliz. So there is a formula here? i.e.; beating a Legend when your a Master is another way of getting points for the big push.

Another thing you will move up quicker in the lower levels, believe me you will slow down, but how much is determine on how much you play. What I am saying is that all different types of the game will move you up. But IMO you should be comfortable at them all. You will have more fun with this game in general, don't keyhole yourself into one type of game.

:) TC

• PAGES
RSS