Forums

Help › Forums

So, what now?

Wed, Sep 17 2014 10:48 AM (282 replies)
  • Fekdrink
    138 Posts
    Wed, May 29 2013 12:53 PM

Well it's now exactly two months since I started my WGT experience and I think a little update is due. Once again this is as much for my own benefit, so I can look back over the months/years to come to see how it all began. Hopefully others will find it interesting too.

Let's start with the bare figures.

Days played:- 61.

XPs earned:- 130 224, Level 68.

Credits earned:- 6 779. (Surveys/Videos/Offers 6 483, "Winnings" 296).

Credits spent:- 4 090

Equipment bought:-  TaylorMade R1 TP 9.0 Driver 2 495, TaylorMade R11 3 Wood 695, Ping Wedges 56/60/64 600, Callaway Tour i(z) Balls 300.

Credit balance:- 2 689.

Average:- 69.6

Driving Accuracy:- 80.19%

GIR:- 60.26%

Putting average:- 1.91.

Money spent:- Zero.

Hours spent:- Best not thought about.

I've been playing pretty much solely Tournaments as they earn more XPs than playing non Tournament courses and my main aim thus far has been climbing Levels by earning as many XPs as quickly as possible. The down side of this strategy is that I'm on the same courses an awful lot.

The major hassle so far has been the lack of decent irons (reflected in the poor GIR percentage). On many courses if I land on the green I can't stop the ball anywhere near the hole, if stay on the green at all. This has led to ultra conservative approach shots, rarely truly attacking the flag, just trying to get anywhere on the green. My putting is also fairly conservative. With an average distance from pin of 22 foot I've been generally just trying to lag the ball close enough to avoid three putting, meaning I often end up short, but don't rush yards by too often.

So what of the immediate future? Well I hope to reach a late 70's/early 80s Level by the end of the next month. This should mean my desired RocketBladez irons and Nike Method putter will be available to me. I may stick with the cheap Ping chippers until the TM ATVs become open to me later in the higher 80's Levels. Until I have a bag of good bats I intend to resist buying any balls.

My average also needs serious attention. I'm hoping the better equipment will help me kick on. To what? Who knows, but it's going to be fun trying.

• Fekdrink
    138 Posts
    Thu, May 30 2013 3:11 AM

Hmmm. Still under moderation as of last night I see. Mind you only been 19 odd posts and now 62 days so shouldn't expect too much I suppose.

Many apologies to Dacross for not acknowledging his very helpful post of a couple of  days ago. I'm still learning about what vaguely decent wedges can do so to be honest haven't really made up my mind re the whole three wedges vs two wedges and a hybrid debate. I'll be in a better place to make a call when I've picked up my RocketBladez I think.

Re the putting I can totally see what your saying about learning how to use what you've got. As I've mentioned above my style is more of a "last roll to the hole" rather than a "never up never in" one. I think I'll probably get more aggresive when I can land my approach shot in the same time zone as the pin. And have a putter which isn't made up of re-cycled beer cans.

• Fekdrink
    138 Posts
    Mon, Jun 3 2013 7:15 AM

Another milestone today. Finally reached the "Crossover", ie the point at which my achieved Level (70) becomes greater than my average (69.16). Nothing to write home about but these little challenges do keep me going. I wonder what's the lowest Level at which people have beaten this barrier. Low 60s for the real high fliers I would guess.

Since I've only really been playing the freebie tournaments of late my eyes did light up at the prospect of a month of knocking round 18 of Scotland's finest at St Andrews during June. I thought that would definitely bring my average down a few strokes. However that didn't factor in the wind on this current incarnation of the Old Course, which is as strong and evil as the Devil's very own bottom burps.

Could take a bit of getting used to and it looks like reaching "Master" status could take a little while yet.

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Wed, Jun 5 2013 12:58 AM

Still under moderation....lmao... you can't be serious. Moving on....

2 things, if you don't mind (I know you don't)

- Look at the equipment legends and especially tour legends use. Nearly all 3 wedges no hybrid. It really is no debate if you ask me.

- I wouldn't want to be a St. Andy's Only Legend, for I would be in deep trouble on all the other courses when reaching legend. Learn the game by playing and learning all courses. Not too many levels left to the equipment that will lower your average anyway. I find more challenge in learning the game (all of it) than lowering my average by playing St. Andy's (or any of the other easier courses) only.

Just sayin...

R.

• SwingingRoofer
    456 Posts
    Wed, Jun 5 2013 3:43 AM

I a

Rockitch:

Still under moderation....lmao... you can't be serious. Moving on....

2 things, if you don't mind (I know you don't)

- Look at the equipment legends and especially tour legends use. Nearly all 3 wedges no hybrid. It really is no debate if you ask me.

- I wouldn't want to be a St. Andy's Only Legend, for I would be in deep trouble on all the other courses when reaching legend. Learn the game by playing and learning all courses. Not too many levels left to the equipment that will lower your average anyway. I find more challenge in learning the game (all of it) than lowering my average by playing St. Andy's (or any of the other easier courses) only.

Just sayin...

R.

I agree those that just play 1 course to lower avg very sad players n don't deserve avg they got or those that onlyt mark there good games it sholdnt be allowed

• Fekdrink
    138 Posts
    Wed, Jun 5 2013 6:00 AM

Thanks for the positive input Rockitch. Always very welcome (and very needed). I'm looking at my sparkly new putter in seven Levels time and new irons (which will actually stop somewhere short of the county line) in nine. All I was saying is that when I have such equipment I'll be better place to assess my needs. I suspect I will stick with the three wedge set up, just not absolutely sure yet.

Re the St Andrews remark, I obviously didn't make myself clear, my apologies. My primary aim at the moment is to advance Levels as quickly as possible, to be able to purchase decent equipment. The quickest way to do this is to play Tournament golf, be it 9 or 18 hole. Since I refuse to pay a penny to play the game this mainly limits me to the monthly unlimited play tounrnies (obviously with the once only single play ones). Hence this month it'll be predominantly St Georges/Kiawah for the nines and St Andrews/ Oakmont for the 18s. Last month it was different courses, next month it will be different again.So the St Andrews thingy will only be for 30 days before the next month's competition. Hopefully with my Rocketbladez and my Nike Method 001.

Does this make sense?

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Wed, Jun 5 2013 7:54 AM

Makes sense. You'll know all about St.A when the month is over. Nothing wrong with that, but then indeed move on to another course. You could consider joining a countryclub. CC tournaments give the same xp points as the free tournaments you are playing.

Some might disagree, but the nike putter is rather obsolete, now we have the new Odyssey putter with the same slow speed and better characteristics for "only" 500 credits more. That putter is btw already available to you (lvl70). I changed from the Daytona to this Odyssey only a day or two ago. You'll always need time to adjust to new equipment, but I think I'll get to like it rather quickly.

R.

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Wed, Jun 5 2013 8:04 AM

You can play any coarse you want at any time. Go to the coarse you want and play and play a ranked round,  front  9 or back 9, 9 holes or 18. It has to be ranked for you to recieve your XP points. The cartoon  coarses  are not free but fun to play once in awhile to break up the monotony.

You sound like some one who likes the game. Be  careful  of playing one coarse too much, as you will start to loose interest. I always find playing the hardest coarses the most fun because this is where you learn the most about the game.  Good Luck.

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Wed, Jun 5 2013 8:52 AM

Boomerboy44:
    You can play any coarse you want at any time.

True. TS probably knows. He's mainly looking for xp points and tournament play gives double the points.

R.

RSS