Forums

Help › Forums

So, what now?

Wed, Sep 17 2014 10:48 AM (282 replies)
  • Fekdrink
    138 Posts
    Thu, Jun 13 2013 8:12 AM

I'm not very good at this game yet, if yesterday is anything to go by I never will be. I missed more putts than Mr Magoo would playng with a limp stick of celery instead of a putter. However I am pretty good at the game within the game ie picking up credits -  3000 in the last 15 days mainly from surveys. However today one such did have me stumped. The initial question was which is the largest? The options being something along the lines of the Earth, Venus, Mt Everest, an ocean or the sun. I dutifully answered sun and repeated the response for the second part "The answer to the last question was". And then saw this message.

"You were disqualified from this survey because our client is looking for a specific requirement. We would love to qualify you for other surveys - head on back and try another survey.
    Failure is only the opportunity to begin again. ~ Henry Ford"
    Erm............what was "our client" looking for? Imbeciles?
  • Fekdrink
    138 Posts
    Sat, Jun 15 2013 5:00 AM

And so on the 78th day I made Master. Which probably means that all of a sudden it gets an awful lot harder. What can I expect on top of the different colour tees and presumed faster greens?

I should soon have some new weaponary with which to combat the increased dificulty level. I've still got the starter irons,a starter putter and am playing with starter balls. Well I say soon, but I'm 33 000XPs away from the RocketBladez irons available at Level 79. Rather frustrating as I have 6 300 credits burning a hole in my vitual pocket.

I think meantime I may have to bring back my hybrid instead of one of the wedges as I will probably spend a lot more time in the rough. And need something between the distance of my three iron (180yds) and my three wood (230yds). In fact given the relative credit surplus I may even dip in for a better hybrid short term. I've been thinking about this for some time and do wonder if on some courses this may be a better option than the third (fourth) wedge. Be nice to have the choice available.

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Sat, Jun 15 2013 6:28 AM

Congrats!

As long as you stick with the Starter irons, you won't exactly need a third wedge in the bag. The PW being 90 yds + a shorter punch distance, any 50/75 or 60/80 (that's the Pings, isn't it) combination will do.

The 3rd wedge will become important when the PW of a premium set is 105, 110 or 115 yds. Then the gap may be dreadful.

You might want to look for a high-level Hybrid or 3-Wood as a budget intermediate solution. The G20s sure aren't bad and certainly there are more available for you at level 74.

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Sun, Jun 16 2013 2:52 AM

Congrats on the promotion.

Try a punched 3w out of rough (make sure it hits the fairway) before you decide to buy a hybrid (edit: too late I see). Does it for me 9 out of 10 times.

Of course Alosso is fully right on the fact that the 3rd wedge will come in very handy once you have the rocketbladez or any other longer irons.

• Fekdrink
    138 Posts
    Sun, Jun 16 2013 4:04 AM

My thanks to alosso and Rockitch for their congratulations. The encouragement and tips from guys like you have been a huge help in my WGT journey. I've found the advice on the punch out of the rough particularly helpful. With a driving average of around 80% I do tend to end up in the longer stuff at least a couple of times a round and this technique has probably saved me a couple of shots a round.

What has surprised me is that I haven't moved back a tee on moving up a Tier, I guess that must happen when one reaches Tour Master.

One quick question if I may. I've been working on the assumption that when counting ranked rounds a nine hole one counts for the same as a full eighteen. Am I correct in this belief? My aim has always been to reach the upper Tiers as quickly as possible (without spending any real money) and I appreciate the number of ranked rounds needed to advance climbs rapidly as one climbs the ladder.

Cheers chaps.

• Fekdrink
    138 Posts
    Sun, Jun 16 2013 4:27 AM

OK, weird one. 

I was just about to take my big stick out for the first shot of the day and appear to have "ShotPal" plastered over my meter. I haven't bought this and certainly don't want to spend any credits on it. I didn't take the shot and have abandoned the round, so the app is still in it's virgin state. If I have been debited I will want a refund.

Any thoughts on how this has happened and whether or not I'll have to pay for it? I can't see any obvious debit to my credit stash, although I can't see either that I've been credited for making Master. 

Is this some kind of giveaway to accompany the final day of the US Open?

Confused.

• Fekdrink
    138 Posts
    Sun, Jun 16 2013 4:31 AM

Ah, got it. It's a freebie for Father's Day.

I see the WGT Pro Shop promotions team is on the ball. Hoping we'll all use this once and suddenly become hooked.

Will have to shoot low today and in the upcoming rounds to get as much as possible out of it.

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Sun, Jun 16 2013 4:31 AM

Always welcome!

Fekdrink:

What has surprised me is that I haven't moved back a tee on moving up a Tier, I guess that must happen when one reaches Tour Master.

One quick question if I may. I've been working on the assumption that when counting ranked rounds a nine hole one counts for the same as a full eighteen. Am I correct in this belief? My aim has always been to reach the upper Tiers as quickly as possible (without spending any real money) and I appreciate the number of ranked rounds needed to advance climbs rapidly as one climbs the ladder.

You do move back as a Master, keeping the "very fast" greens. As a TM, the green speed will change.

Chances are that you did not notice it while playing tournaments which you started as a TP. In these, nothing will change - a good opportunity to bolster down the average before it starts seriously.

Nine hole rounds count by doubling the score, a 33 becomes a 66. You'll need a 63 ave. and 50 rounds to advance further.

• Fekdrink
    138 Posts
    Sun, Jun 16 2013 5:01 AM

Cheers alosso. I do only play tournaments so perhaps that's why I don't appear to be noticing any difference off the tee.

Re the ranked rounds, sorry, I obviously didn't explain clearly. If I need fifty ranked rounds to advance is that 50 x 18 or 100 x 9 or will 50 x 9 count as 50 ranked rounds. I think you've answered this but I'm clearly a bit thick this morning. In other words you're saying that if I only play nines and shoot an average of 31.5 I'll have to do this a hundred times.

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Sun, Jun 16 2013 5:34 AM

One 9-hole score = one 18-hole score.

Each entry in the score history counts as one round.

RSS