Help › Forums

AVERAGE OF "54" - HOW DO THEY DO IT ?

rated by 0 users
Fri, May 17 2013 7:17 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • TennesseeCraig
    16 Posts
    Fri, May 17 2013 1:33 PM

I am seeing some LOW AVERAGES of people with a lot of experience.  I see 54 and 55, etc.... that means they would have to BIRDIE EVERY HOLE - ALL THE TIME....How do they get that proficient ???????    In the one Country Club I belong to, I see best rounds of 60 and 61 with averages of 63 and 66... How can you compete against that ??? and, HOW DO THEY DO IT ???????    Are you one of those with a LOW AVERAGE ?  Tell us more about how you do it.  Thanks and all the best !   TennesseeCraig

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Fri, May 17 2013 1:58 PM

Two ways...

At a certain point, your "average" will no longer go up...so a 33 or 66 has no "raising" effect on the average.

Then, there are players who only post good scores..these are the ones with large ego's:)

i/e my "average" is 58-something, look through my score history...probably closer to 61 or 62

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Fri, May 17 2013 1:58 PM

Also, for lower tiers (below legend), if they win tourneys or beat higher tiered players in MP, average drop quicker too...WGT's anti-sandbagging measure.

• Glossopade
    518 Posts
    Fri, May 17 2013 2:08 PM

I am one of those like you Craig.... I scratch my head sometimes and wonder how. Having said that, I think I can predict what response you are about to get.

Those who can, will refer to thousands of ranked rounds, spanning many years and will say "Practice, practice, practice"

Those who can't will ask the same question at best and come up with all kinds of daft conspiracy theories at worst.

It's the way it is and for those who can.... I take my hat off to you. I hope that maybe one day, I might be one who can as well !

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, May 17 2013 2:15 PM

I think his point isn't how you do it but how can it be so low. It's the lame part of the average thing and MB touched on it. You get to a point where your average only goes down and that 58+ average golfer might be shooting low 60s normally BUT is good enough to post 26-28s, just not every outing. It's those scores that drop the average and over a period of time only those low scores will affect the average, driving it lower.

To this day I do not understand the logic of doing it this way. It makes so much more sense for averages to fluctuate as your game does, at least in the Legend and TL tiers. Yeah, I know about the manipulation angle and sandbagging but we're talking about the highest levels. Maybe 2 averages, like overall and last 10, something like that.

• notonthis
    893 Posts
    Fri, May 17 2013 2:38 PM

I have no clue why i have a 54 average i should least be around a 68 average.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Fri, May 17 2013 2:46 PM

notonthis:

I have no clue why i have a 54 average i should least be around a 68 average.

You sand bagged long enough...WGT finally caught up to you;)

• ScottHope
    10,362 Posts
    Fri, May 17 2013 2:46 PM

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Fri, May 17 2013 2:48 PM

It's only a GAME. I have been at 66.57 for over 2 months. Not playing anymore has a lot to do with that. LOL

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, May 17 2013 3:04 PM

ScottHope:
    But then if your average score was made up of your most recent rounds would we suffer from more people quitting on their first bad shot?

LOL. Yeah, then the quitter threads start back up along with the sandbagger witch hunts and all that other good stuff that goes with trying to figure out a way. So the system stays in place.  :-(

• PAGES
RSS