Help › Forums

Wondering why golf shoes changed

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jun 26 2013 1:23 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Tue, Jun 25 2013 9:42 PM

I'll admit I haven't played "real" golf for several years due to my lower back. Anyway, golf shoes you to have "cleats" or spikes to help you not slip around on the course while walking or hitting. Nowdays they look more like cross-country shoes. Why the change? 

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Jun 25 2013 10:48 PM

hyena64:
    I just assumed it was to lessen damage to both course

Yep, the hard spikes are quite controversial and supposedly cause damage (and banned on many courses) to greens, so soft spikes are more common. Some also argue that hard spikes help aerate the greens and I have heard complaints that soft spikes cause more compaction so arguments from both sides.

Personally I am happy to play in soft spikes as you really seldom need more grip and they are accepted at more courses. Either or, both are comfortable IMO.

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Wed, Jun 26 2013 8:19 AM

hyena64:

I just assumed it was to lessen damage to both course & clubhouse.  Probably more comfortable.   And you know somewhere along the line, money figured into it!

had not thought about damage to clubhouse floors, etc but I remember most of the clubhouses had wood floors----with lots of little holes. :-)

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Wed, Jun 26 2013 9:13 AM

Back in the mid-90's I recall seeing "comfort" golf shoes..instead of a dress shoe with spikes.

Heck, I  play in sneakers now anyways;)

• filmslayer
    2,340 Posts
    Wed, Jun 26 2013 9:27 AM

i think its more club house than course , a plastic spike leaves a larger foot print on the green than a metal one does IMO ...

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Wed, Jun 26 2013 9:32 AM

MBaggese:

Try that here in Scotland and you would go further than the ball.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Wed, Jun 26 2013 9:42 AM

PaulTon:

MBaggese:

Try that here in Scotland and you would go further than the ball.

I'd love to have the opportunity...in fact after buying real shoes, I'd even get a glove!

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Wed, Jun 26 2013 11:03 AM

Over here you need metal studs, guy ropes and tent pegs.

• borntobesting
    9,685 Posts
    Wed, Jun 26 2013 11:37 AM

alanti:
    Personally I am happy to play in soft spikes as you really seldom need more grip and they are accepted at more courses. Either or, both are comfortable IMO.

If I really did what I wanted to I would play barefoot all the time. But most clubs frown on that as much if not more than they do hard steel spikes. 

• PAGES
RSS