Help › Forums

Turn Pro, become a Bogey Machine.. whee

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jul 3 2013 2:02 AM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • V4mofo
    9 Posts
    Sun, Jun 30 2013 7:08 AM

I'm sure this is a normal experience, I mean...  it's Supposed to get harder/more challenging so people keep playing, right?  Annoying that it happened directly after my first-ever sub-par round.  Yeah, well... now there's a clear problem for me.

Par 4's have become par 5's ~ meaning I can't even Reach the green with 2 perfect shots.  Eh, guess it'd help to know what I have:

I have the Starter Plus cub set (the 100 credit set), the starter wedges, a Ping Answer putter and the starter balls (though I tried some 44cr balls that slowed the meter down a little, when they ran out mid-round I found the meter speed to be tolerable).

I've read through the forums/posts in the past few days and see that the general suggestion is to upgrade the wedges first (and the putter last, lol... oops, but it paid off in spades as more than half my shots were putts before and only about 1/3rd now).  But for me, it's not the time around the green where I'm having issue. 

So, is this a simple "buy a driver" fix?  I'm broke so no outside money to spend, and the credits are hard enough to come by that I don't want to waste them nilly willy.

Cheers!

Brian

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Sun, Jun 30 2013 11:08 AM

You holing enough shots around greens ..so I guess you be ok and you seem to know what ppl here think so I'd just follow that advice..GL

Andy

• frappefort
    3,994 Posts
    Sun, Jun 30 2013 11:32 AM

First  Congrats on your first Post .   Like you said , it is a normal  experience for all at your tier .        Patience  is the ticket for this game ,  and you are correct for a member with  limited $$$, this game is expensive  for equipment . Hopefully  you may have a member with lots of $$$ ,that will be generous , i have been lucky  more like blessed by many members,   And i in my limited ways , try to give back .  So  a sleeve of ball is coming your way .     Good luck   and  mostly have fun .                  Francois (Frapp) 

• Fekdrink
    138 Posts
    Sun, Jun 30 2013 11:49 AM

V4mofo:

So, is this a simple "buy a driver" fix?  I'm broke so no outside money to spend, and the credits are hard enough to come by that I don't want to waste them nilly willy.

Hi Brian.

The simple answer from my perspective is yes.

I went through an almost identical experience to yourself only a couple on months ago. The common advice was to buy wedges, but instead I waited until Level 48 to make my first purchase. The TaylorMade R1 TP 9.0 at 2 495 credits. 275 yards off the tee and as forgiving as any Driver in the game. Sure the meter's pretty quick but that you can adapt to. Yes it'sexpensive but it'll take you deep into the game without needing replacing -arguably not a significantly better big stick until you get to Level 81. Which will take possibly another three months to reach. Maybe longer.

The best value wedges in the game (certainly if money is tight) are the Ping Tour Ws available at Levels 41 and 42. 200 credits a pop for something which stop the ball dead on full swing. Take a look the 60 and 64 degree versions. The 56 degree one is a bit of a waste with the irons you have as it gives the same distance as your PW (though stops a ot quicker).

Good luck, Fekdrink.

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Sun, Jun 30 2013 12:07 PM

Fekdrink:

The common advice was to buy wedges, but instead I waited until Level 48 to make my first purchase. The TaylorMade R1 TP 9.0 at 2 495 credits. [...]

The best value wedges in the game (certainly if money is tight) are the Ping Tour Ws available at Levels 41 and 42. 200 credits a pop for something which stop the ball dead on full swing.

Are you sure my friend not to contradict yourself?

The Pings are a good buy for sure, everything else (and past them) is subject to personal preference. Say, the lvl 31ish R11's (?), or the lvl 47 Rapture 3WD...

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Sun, Jun 30 2013 12:13 PM

I'd say wait for a while and just get in some practice, there's no rush. It's the Master level that you'll need help with.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Sun, Jun 30 2013 12:15 PM

Since you're out for "bang for your buck", I'd actually suggest getting your wedges first.  Because of my iron selection when I was at your level, I went with the TM 54 degree wedge and the TM 64, along with the Cleveland 60.  They are still in my bag.  I won't replace them until I can get to the level 70's Clevelands.  If you can afford it, the R11 irons are a good purchase and will help you all the way through the master levels.  From there, the G20 irons will be a good purchase for you.

Don't waste your money on a hybrid club, as you can usually get similar distance with your 3 iron.  Plan on bagging 3 wedges instead.  They will cover a larger range of distance on approach shots.  As much as you probably hate it, if you don't want to put in your own money, start spending an hour or more each day filling out surveys.  The credits will come ... it will just take time.

As for a driver at your level, the Callaway and the TM R1 are both good clubs.  They will get you to the Level 48 R1.  Try to avoid the Master level until you can afford the R1 driver, as you'll find the jump from Tour Pro to Master to be difficult with the lower level drivers.

You can also sell your equipment back to WGT ... just expect to get the same % you get from Roger Dunn or Golfsmith when trading in equipment.  I would prefer being able to gift used equipment, which is what I do with my clubs in real life.  That option isn't available here.

Best of luck to you!  Keep it in the short grass!

Kat

• Fekdrink
    138 Posts
    Sun, Jun 30 2013 12:42 PM

alosso:

Fekdrink:

The common advice was to buy wedges, but instead I waited until Level 48 to make my first purchase. The TaylorMade R1 TP 9.0 at 2 495 credits. [...]

The best value wedges in the game (certainly if money is tight) are the Ping Tour Ws available at Levels 41 and 42. 200 credits a pop for something which stop the ball dead on full swing.

Are you sure my friend not to contradict yourself?

The Pings are a good buy for sure, everything else (and past them) is subject to personal preference. Say, the lvl 31ish R11's (?), or the lvl 47 Rapture 3WD...

I think so alosso. I went Driver, 3 Wood, Pings, Putter then Irons (in that order) to complete my bag. On reflection I should have got the Wedges before the 3 Wood, but would still go Driver first if  had my time again.

Re the Pings, sorry. I should have said best value in my opinion. But at 150 credits net (after you sell them back when upgrading) is there really better value in the Wedge market?

• JackTaylor
    225 Posts
    Sun, Jun 30 2013 2:30 PM

I am along the lines as Courtney. Stick with what you have and learn them, it will come in very handy down the road. If you really want to get bang for your buck get a solid hitting 3wd. You can use it on par 5's twice, all par 4's and it will go farther than your drive. They do go farther than distance stated off the tee, against the wind about the same.

• JackTaylor
    225 Posts
    Sun, Jun 30 2013 2:33 PM

I am with Cortney stick with what you have and learn them, it will come in handy down the road. If you really want to get bang for your buck but a solid 3wd. They go farther off the tee than stated, you can use them twice on par 5's and all par 4's. A good 3 wd will last you a long time.

• PAGES
RSS