Help › Forums

Who Are Your Heroes?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Aug 20 2013 6:45 AM (21 replies)
  • DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Mon, Aug 12 2013 8:08 AM

bluescouse:

Not sporting ones, but genuine honest to goodness public figures who you can honestly say you look up to and are inspired by.

Sean

I would have to say the USFS and firemen in general.  They put their lives on the line to protect other's property.  I know there are several policemen that do the same ... it's a shame there are also corrupt police that taint such gallantry.

• bypass07
    1,360 Posts
    Mon, Aug 12 2013 10:44 AM

Terry Fox

• petethepup
    204 Posts
    Mon, Aug 12 2013 11:04 AM

my parents.

• frappefort
    3,994 Posts
    Mon, Aug 12 2013 11:23 AM

Fireman,policeman,Military man and woman,Doctor&nurse......   

• MOLLY88
    1,029 Posts
    Wed, Aug 14 2013 7:15 PM

Sheena Duncan (7 December 1932 – 4 May 2010) was a South African anti-Apartheid activist and counselor. Duncan was the leader of Black Sash, a group of white, middle-class South African women who offered support to black South Africans and advocated the non-violent abolishment of the Apartheid system. For her activism, Duncan was the 1986 recipient of the Prize For Freedom. She was also awarded the Order of Simon of Cyrene, by the South African Council of Churches and made Grand Counsellor of the Order of the Baobab (in Silver). She received honorary doctrates from the University of Cape Town, the University of the Witwatersrand and the University of KwaZulu-Natal.

• liam91
    3,130 Posts
    Thu, Aug 15 2013 11:53 AM

some great answers here,parents, police, military, firefighters , doctors and nurses , i have total respect for all of them.

i had a friend who died of cancer in 2009, i'd known him most of my life we we're childhood friends. 

He was a clever, friendly,popular kid, but a bit of a wimp (well i thought so at the time ) and i tended to look after him a little.He grew to be a clever, friendly ,popular man,married  and had 2 kids who he worshiped , we remained good friends, met up for a drink sometimes and even holidayed together a couple of times.

in early 2009 he was diagnosed with  cancer and i was worried how my""WIMPY"mate  would deal with things............he fought and fought that terrible illness and never once gave up or felt sorry for himself,his only thoughts we're for his family and friends,i never saw him cry or feel that it wasn't fair 

my friend had lived the life of a gentle placid man who didn't feel the need to prove himself to anyone, he died showing the kind of strength only someone like that can really have.

i still think of him often and wish i could have been like him, but the truth is i was never really as strong as my "wimpy" friend

i didn't realise until it was to late that he was my hero and probably always had been

Mike

P.S i need to write things like this down sometimes, that is my weakness, and  weakness is probably the only thing my "wimpy" friend never had.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Thu, Aug 15 2013 12:01 PM

liam91:
    P.S i need to write things like this down sometimes, that is my weakness, and  weakness is probably the only thing my "wimpy" friend never had.

That is far removed from weakness my friend. That will make us all think and perhaps in some small way bring us all a little it closer together.You certainly made me think, bud.

• petethepup
    204 Posts
    Sat, Aug 17 2013 11:30 PM

Dear liam91, I just read your post ,....in this day and age, with so much ego in the world, and that ego , often glorified as strength , it is good to read , what true strength is.       Thank you for sharing this.                                 

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Tue, Aug 20 2013 6:04 AM

The Batman

RSS