Help › Forums

Pin Placements at St Andrews and BethPage

rated by 0 users
Fri, Aug 27 2010 10:56 AM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • TarheelsRule
    5,552 Posts
    Thu, Aug 26 2010 2:50 PM

Since the multiple pin placements have become available at St Andrews and BethPage, it seems to me that while you should get a variable pin placement every other round, that the pins aren't changed that often.  For example I have played one round in the past 10 I would say on St Andrews with the #11 pin up front and the same for the pin on the #8 hole, it is always up front, never back again.  On Bethpage it seems to be the same.

What is the method for these pins or am I justing hitting them wrong.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Aug 26 2010 3:23 PM

There is a new pin on SA #11??? I'll be darned.   Coulda fooled me.  I've never played it.

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Thu, Aug 26 2010 5:10 PM

The ONLY times I`ve seen the front pin on SA #11 was during the Open tournament rounds....and yes, I`ve played SA several times since :).

I did see the back pin on BB #8 just the other day in a multi-play....just the Once!

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Thu, Aug 26 2010 5:48 PM

I have to agree, I have only seen it during the open and it was a ............

• AGArgent
    343 Posts
    Thu, Aug 26 2010 7:49 PM

andyson:

There is a new pin on SA #11??? I'll be darned.   Coulda fooled me.  I've never played it.

Well, I've gotten it in several rounds. Obviously quite random. But gents, I'd much prefer to not have to play the new pin placement. It's just over the massive, yawning bunker in front of the green. Most intimidating. Went right into it the first few times I've played it. Seemed as though my ball was sucked into it.  You pretty much gotta bash it well past the pin and hope for the best. So be careful what you wish for.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, Aug 26 2010 9:00 PM

I'm not sure of the randomness pins in multi-player, but in single player mode, the pins are different quite often. Even in back to back rounds.

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Thu, Aug 26 2010 9:16 PM

@ AGArgent,

I also hit the bunker the first time I played. The second time, I clubbed up and it landed past the hole, then rolled back to it for an easy bird...and I realized that I hit that shot all the time...when I mis-hit left of the back pin placement :-p. 

I now think it would be an easier bird for me with the front location, given the "collection area" to help, but I haven`t had the chance... :-)

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Fri, Aug 27 2010 7:56 AM

Interesting. On Bethpage, which I play a lot, I almost never see the back pin location on 8, which used to be very frequent, the back pin on 15, or the front pin on 18, just to mention the most striking examples, while the 17th seems downright capricious.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Fri, Aug 27 2010 8:51 AM

Anyone see any relationship at all between pin locations and the Easy, Medium, Hard pin sets??  I don't.

I can replay BPB #1 always selecting the Easy set of pins and I'll get both front (easier) and back (harder) pins randomly.  To me, easy, medium, hard pin location option doesn't appear to matter.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Fri, Aug 27 2010 9:10 AM

What I saw during practice rounds on Bethpage seemed pretty consistent - easy being, for example, front on 1, 8 and 18, middle on 4, 7 and 13, and back right on 15, and hard being back right on 8, front left on 15, and tucked away on the right of such holes as 4, 7, 13 and 18. Since there only seem to be two pin placements on most or all of the holes, medium must be a random combination of easy and hard.

• PAGES
RSS