Forums

Help › Forums

MOVEMBER 2013 Show your moustache

Sun, Dec 1 2013 9:53 PM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • RemBeau
    2,515 Posts
    Fri, Nov 22 2013 10:59 PM

In 2003, two mates Travis Garone and Luke Slattery from Melbourne Australia were having a quiet beer at the Gypsy Bar on Brunswick St, Fitzroy when their conversation turned to recurring fashion trends. They questioned where the Mo had gone and joked about bringing it back.

The two friends decided to talk their mates into growing a Mo. Inspired by a friend’s mother who was fundraising for breast cancer, they decided to make the campaign about men’s health and prostate cancer. They designed rules and guidelines for Movember (which are still in place today)  and agreed to charge ten dollars to grow a Mo

Since those first few years, Movember has continued to grow at an extraordinary pace, and today, with the support of hundreds of thousands of Mo Bros, Mo Sistas and their donors, Movember is fulfilling its vision: To have an everlasting impact on the face of men’s health

From 30 Mo Bros in Melbourne, Australia in 2003 to 1.1 million Mo's in 2012,

Movember, through the power of the moustache has truly become a global movement that is changing the face of men's health.

-------------------------

Who are the Mo Bros in WGT.   

Show your moustachery or your MO Space 

• adeypa
    1,151 Posts
    Sat, Nov 23 2013 6:14 AM

Movember is certainly a great idea to help in raising awareness for mens cancer, but not everyone appreciates recognition in getting involved. 

This morning i was down town getting some breakfast and a costa's when i bumped into a good friend that i'd not seen for a few weeks. After the usual "how you doing" and "hows the kids" etc etc, I remarked on my friends fine effort in support of the good cause that is Movember. Imagine my surprise when all i got back was what can only be described as a tirade of abuse.

Sheesh, some women just can't take a compliment !

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Sat, Nov 23 2013 6:52 AM

I work part time as a crossing guard for a local public grade school here in southern California. The principal has embraced awareness and participation in worthy causes. In October they have a "Wear Something Pink" Friday for breast cancer awareness and yesterday was "Wear A Moustache Day" for Movember. Raises awareness and they collect donations.

It was fun yesterday seeing all the K-6th grade kids going to school with drawn and stick-on upper lip hair.

I have a moustache but sport it all year round, not just this month.

• WigerToods2010
    8,446 Posts
    Sat, Nov 23 2013 6:56 AM

adeypa:

Sheesh, some women just can't take a compliment !

Pfffft...

Coffee/monitor moment.... LMAO!

• RemBeau
    2,515 Posts
    Sat, Nov 23 2013 7:49 AM

Good point srellim

"It was fun yesterday seeing all the K-6th grade kids going to school with drawn and stick-on upper lip hair."

-----------

One of the value of Movember movement is to have fun 

We did the same at  our worplace, it started with a group of 10 members to create a Mo Team and raise 2500$ for the cause.

But after 1 1/2 weeks, there was not a lot of activities going on.

One member said   "What we could do "

I had an idea & told them lets do a photo shoot . Asked  Mo.s Brother : bring hats & sun glasses (They didn't know what i had in mind, il' make them a Gringo theme. :hihihi:)

We took this first picture outside the building on a friday afternoon.

-------------------------

And then the creativity came in 

On Monday morning they saw their faces on a poster at the entry door.

I saw them smiling.  

And then the site in the Movember site .

http://ca.movember.com/team/1174817

We have an objective to raise 2500$,  we are at 50% of it.   Hope we will reach team goal. :)

But just be part of it is something & here up north it help to go through these grey and cold november days.

• RemBeau
    2,515 Posts
    Sat, Nov 23 2013 7:54 AM

Breaking the ice. lol

Here is my Moustachery  :surpris:

What is yours  ;)

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Sat, Nov 23 2013 3:25 PM

Looking like a sad Pancho Villa right now !!

Will post results before the 'big shave' :-)

It's very itchy....

Andy

• RemBeau
    2,515 Posts
    Mon, Nov 25 2013 10:07 PM

Lol, agree, looking like Colonel Sanders presently without the chicken smell.

• ScottHope
    10,362 Posts
    Tue, Nov 26 2013 9:17 AM

• RemBeau
    2,515 Posts
    Tue, Nov 26 2013 7:54 PM

pouceupA Mo's Cat

• PAGES
RSS