Forums

Help › Forums

This game isn't even close to real golf for two simple reasons !!

rated by 0 users
Fri, Nov 29 2013 3:45 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Sprocket696969
    8 Posts
    Sat, Nov 23 2013 3:02 PM

1) Put two mulligans in a 18 hole course !!!

2) Change Beth Page Black to the actual par it is in real life instead of making up your own up !!!     Its a 71 par course , not a  70  HELLO   

3) Don't go around bragging about this being like real golf till you get your head out of your .........    

• jsweetcr
    1,209 Posts
    Sat, Nov 23 2013 8:24 PM

Ill give you a few more reasons:

You sit in a chair to play it instead of stand on a tee

you click a button to swing instead of turning your body

you watch some little computer generated dude smack a a virtual golf ball instead of doing it yourself

its 2d, unless you got one of them fancy monitors and cool glasses

the list goes on

Oh my favorite. Pretty sure golf balls in real life are cheaper

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Sat, Nov 23 2013 8:57 PM

Sprocket696969:

1) Put two mulligans in a 18 hole course !!!

2) Change Beth Page Black to the actual par it is in real life instead of making up your own up !!!     Its a 71 par course , not a  70  HELLO   

3) Don't go around bragging about this being like real golf till you get your head out of your .........    

The OP you said '2 simple reasons'. Haven't you given 3 reasons? mmm?

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sat, Nov 23 2013 9:10 PM

As for #2 - on WGT we play it as the way it was set up for the last US Open played there.

As for #1 - why does this bother you? You primarily only play ST A's F9 exclusively.

As for #3 - this it is the closest thing to real golf. When I hit a shot on here I get up, walk for 300 yards, come back and take my next shot, and then repeat the process (hopefully the walk is a little shorter). 

As a result I have played in the rain, hail and sunshine - even got sunstroke one day. And to simulate the beer cart girl I go to the local pub and hurry back for my next shot. And like the real game. the marshal comes along and kicks me off the course for slow play.....when I have a few to many beers at the pub I get back late and have been disqualified on here. 

And for my local real club I can;t be bothered playing now, I just sign my WGT card and the balls and pro shop vouchers I win have tripled. How dare you have the audacity to say this isn't real golf!

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sat, Nov 23 2013 9:23 PM

BubbaCrusher007:
    The OP you said '2 simple reasons'. Haven't you given 3 reasons? mmm?

He took a mulligan;)

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Sat, Nov 23 2013 10:38 PM

Real golfers don't use mulligans. I think the OP is confused.

• MainzMan
    9,590 Posts
    Sat, Nov 23 2013 10:45 PM

alanti:

When I hit a shot on here I get up, walk for 300 yards, come back and take my next shot, and then repeat the process (hopefully the walk is a little shorter). 

Interesting idea Alan, I might give that a go too.

To the OP.  I doubt anyone here really believes this is the same as real golf.  It tries to mimic the ball physics of the real thing but even if WGT get that absolutely perfect, nothing is ever going to make a mouse click replicate the real life golf swing.  Think about the number of terms for faults in a swing, you could fill a book with the damn things. 

And here we have miss ding early, miss ding late and hit ding.  Obviously we have varying degrees of missing the ding but that's it.  Maybe in the future we'll be wearing a sensor filled suit, standing on a pressure sensitive mat hitting a ball with a gyro in it with a gyro loaded virtual club.

Until then we're stuck with click, drag, release, click.  Swear.

• geraldlarousse
    1,986 Posts
    Sun, Nov 24 2013 3:49 AM

I could tell you why this game isn't close to real very simply.

I real life i normally hit my 5 iron about 185 yards.

Now then... when i smack that sucker dead on the screws.... it does not go 165 yards!!

lol

Sorry... had to throw that one in there.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, Nov 24 2013 4:45 AM

MainzMan:

And here we have miss ding early, miss ding late and hit ding.  Obviously we have varying degrees of missing the ding but that's it.  Maybe in the future we'll be wearing a sensor filled suit, standing on a pressure sensitive mat hitting a ball with a gyro in it with a gyro loaded virtual club.

Until then we're stuck with click, drag, release, click.  Swear.

LOL and what's changed in the last circa 23 years?

Back then the avid golfer would be out on a RL course discussing the latest greatest distance driver, when not hurling it in a pond.  They might also be found at home practicing what avid golfers also enthused over then, same as we do this now with this.  They might even invite a friend or three over for multi-play.  The internet was still something used for fishing, so that’s the way it worked. 

To help those, old enough, cast their minds back through the mists of time, or those younger be reminded of history, the little video below is where it was all at.

Console based PGA Tour was a great game back then as this is now.  Will things change? Well I think we can agree they just will.  I wish WGT the best in that evolution, but for now we have the best essence of the real thing for when we are not actually out there.   It's also not saying WGT do not have a couple of things they need to sort out in the short term..........Anyway my 2cents.

Not me speaking in the vid BTW LOL

• jld51
    406 Posts
    Sun, Nov 24 2013 4:58 AM

Re: This game isn't even close to real golf for two simple reasons !

1 its not played out doors.

2 you have sit down to play your shot  sorry  cant do that in really golf

Who said it was like really golf PMSL 

• PAGES
RSS