Forums

Help › Forums

This game isn't even close to real golf for two simple reasons !!

rated by 0 users
Fri, Nov 29 2013 3:45 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • MainzMan
    9,590 Posts
    Sun, Nov 24 2013 5:26 AM

Sweet video Jim, some pretty bad VEM on some of those shots I see.

My first foray into computer golf was a game called Pro Golf 2 for the Sinclair Spectrum.  Some of it looked pretty similar to the one you posted but there was no graphic of the golfer is I remember correctly, just a matchstick figure in profile that swung a club.

Very, very basic but I played it for hours.

Damn, I feel old now.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sun, Nov 24 2013 6:02 AM

I used to play that on a commodore 64. Waiting 30 minutes on a cassette tape loading (when it actually worked) makes WGT load times look like warp speed. The graphics then as well make this look like the holodeck. Good times though.

• MainzMan
    9,590 Posts
    Sun, Nov 24 2013 6:16 AM

PaulTon:

Waiting 30 minutes on a cassette tape loading (when it actually worked)

Oh hell yeah, the good old R tape loading error was the Spectrum equivalent of the Windows blue screen of death. 

And it always happened seconds before it was finished loading.

I just (about 5 minutes ago) ordered a new computer as a matter of fact.  Nothing very flash, an Intel i5 4x2.3GHz with a 1tb drive and 8gb RAM and Windows 7 installed.  Should make my old Athlon x2 4400 look a bit slow.  I hope.

The silly thing is it cost less than my first PC, an IBM 286 10MHz, 10mb drive and 1mb of RAM.  BUT, it was good enough to play Monkey Island 2, possibly the greatest game ever produced.  Until Sam & Max came along anyway.

I'm off to sit beside the street and shout at kids on their bikes.

• WigerToods2010
    8,446 Posts
    Sun, Nov 24 2013 6:25 AM

Have to say that on occasion real life golf sometimes does play exactly like the wgt version....

Few weeks ago I was playing the 'Wee Demon' 9 hole course on the banks of Loch Lomond, can't rem the exact hole, was a par 3 - anyhoos... 

Teed up brand new Nike ball...Whackkkkk!......SPLASH!!!

To add insult to injury I could plainly see, although out of reach,  the 'tick' on the ball as it glistened at the bottom of the pond.

:)

• bkearnes
    788 Posts
    Mon, Nov 25 2013 7:17 AM

If that's how you feel...then why are you on here playing?   And golf balls in real life aren't cheaper.   Guess you don't golf " in real life"

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Thu, Nov 28 2013 11:28 PM

I can still play 'Jack Nicklaus Golf' like I did on the C 64 using free programs call 'DOSBox' and the free games are at xtcabandonware. It takes a sec. to D/L both and it's free.

It has the option to create your own courses, too. e.i. 'Jack Nicklaus unlimited golf course design' and 'Jack Nicklaus' Greatest 18 Holes of Major Championship Golf' . Now it doesn't compare but it's free & nostalgic.

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Fri, Nov 29 2013 12:44 PM

Any one remember Leaderboard for commdore 64??

What was with those damn tape decks?  Mine wouldn't load hardly anything, yet my friends commodore tape deck would load everything even hi-fi recorded "copied games"

U.S Gold bringing back memories.... I've downloaded a few retro games from sinclair & commodore era for windows 8.  

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Nov 29 2013 2:31 PM

chrisironsbones:
    Any one remember Leaderboard for commdore 64??

lol.... yes, I remember that game... wasn't bad too.  Those tape decks were a pain.

-Roger

• frappefort
    3,994 Posts
    Fri, Nov 29 2013 3:45 PM

Sprocket696969:

1) Put two mulligans in a 18 hole course !!!

2) Change Beth Page Black to the actual par it is in real life instead of making up your own up !!!     Its a 71 par course , not a  70  HELLO   

3) Don't go around bragging about this being like real golf till you get your head out of your .........    

This game is the closes  to real life in my mind ,  That  is what i pay for, to dream  i am on the real thing , its virtual we make it what we want .  7 millions +  Members   dream  on here ,and  it become so hard to be good  ,there is more thing here close to the real thing ,then not  so   why bring a thread like this ?   Its not going to make me stop playing ,or bring WGT down ....................            There got it of my chess  in front of all   .      

• PAGES
RSS