Fri, Dec 13 2013 3:03 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • BubbaRubble
    26 Posts
    Tue, Dec 10 2013 10:58 AM

Hello, everyone

Sorry this is a repost, put the last one in the wrong forum,

Having fun so far, a lot harder then old Links game I played awhile back

So far I have completed the tutorial and  played the tutorial recommended closest to hole tournament (I did awful) .  I played a three hole practice round and did some surveys did not qualify for most of them and just finished my first 18 hole round with a score of 90.

I have a few questions

I really don't know where I should spending my time.   Should I do tournaments or practice rounds on different courses, match play, stroke play...?  

I did some searching in the forums and it is recommended in a few post that I should keep the starter clubs until I reach Pro/Master level, but could not find anything about Balls. 

At the end of the tutorial it gave me a sleeve of Callaway balls which I have been using only 2 left.   Should I buy some more and continue using them? Or go just go back to the starter balls? 

Anything else that I should consider purchasing to help me out at my skill level?

I don't mind spending a little bit of $ on this game as I do like it so far, but I don't want to waste it either?

Thanks in advance for you feedback

• BubbaSauce
    260 Posts
    Tue, Dec 10 2013 12:58 PM

I joined back in May but have been active since August.

I spent my first 5$ the other day so I could buy a sleeve of Calloway balls. Other than that, I've been working off the credits I've received for moving to the next tier. I haven't done any surveys or anything else to earn credits. Just "tiering" up.

I spent most of my time playing stroke play rounds by myself. It didn't take long to go from Hack to Amateur and not long after that to Pro. I still use the starter clubs and I've made it all the way to Tour Pro. The only thing I've used differently are balls.

Once I felt I could score consistently around 80 or better, I started entering tournaments. Not that it mattered what my score was, I just didn't kept to myself until that point.

At first I spent some of my earned credits on some cheap WGT balls. Just something to give me more to work with. I've received a number of free balls from entering certain tournaments or by playing on a day WGT designates are "get a free ball" day. That has given me an opportunity to try some different balls out that have different characteristics.

Presently, I'm playing with the Callaway Hex Chrome+ Slow Meter Ball (L1+) balls. They certainly help, but it's still about being creative given the shot in front of you. I've learned to use the roll on long approach shots whenever possible. Anything to keep the strokes down.

Spend a little money if you like, but it's not totally necessary. It's taken me about 3 months of playing (4 months on the calendar) to make it from Hack to Tour Pro and I've only spent $5.

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Tue, Dec 10 2013 1:27 PM

Play "practice" rounds (use MULLIGANS) and closest to the hole games for a while (Cabo seems to be the easiest, at least it is for me). Use the 3 WGT balls you have (save the Callaways). Watch videos, also...sometimes you will get lucky and get a repeat offender that will boost your credit count up pretty good. When you get to level 18, grab a couple of ping wedges ($1.10 ea). Next purchase should be a putter (IMO), the irons, then driver, 3wood. The Srixion (?) balls ($1.80) are probable the best value for you, if you buy any balls. Everyone has different opinions, though. Once you play "ranked rounds", you'll start moving UP in tiers and BACK on the tees, so get the hang of the game first. I didn't. I blasted my way through every tourney, every week, playing over and over (stats, embarrassingly prove this), and in hindsight, it was the wrong way to "learn" the game (which btw, I sometimes feel as though I have NO CLUE how to play, still). I joined in May, but played TW until it shut down in July. Started playing this game on a daily basis in mid-July. After 88 days, and only at level 70 I got 'demoted" to Legend (which, at first was not fun at all, but now is akin to starting over and I'm loving the game more. Most importantly, have fun playing. This is the MOST discouraging "virtual game" I've ever played, but also the MOST rewarding and fun game I've ever played. Play/practice everyday (you get XP points that build as your consecutive days build, which will "unlock" the equipment needed when the time comes.

There are a lot of really good players on here and they share some valuable tips in these forums. they have posted everything from sand and wind formulas to putting tips that I have used. I've seen improvements, but still have a LONG way to go.

And, last but not least, be very nice to VEM, or VEM won't like you, and you will know it. Hope you have a long, happy career in WGT land. Jay

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Tue, Dec 10 2013 2:16 PM

BubbaRubble:
    I really don't know where I should spending my time.   Should I do tournaments or practice rounds on different courses, match play, stroke play...?  
    As a start, don't buy clubs before level 30, buy budget balls if you think you need them - try from bottom up.

Big question is, what do you want, what do you like?

Some play only the one-shotters, CTTH, Blitz, others like matches or stroke play. Single or multiplayer, gambling or not, what is/are your game(s)?

Then, which attitude do you have, which kind of ambition? Wanna become the big star, the top of the money list, or just shoot around a bit to enjoy the views?

How much time and/or money do you want to spend for your expenditures here? Budget guy or big spender, a credit grabber between videos and surveys?

Would you mind to talk about it?

• Mushy01
    2,567 Posts
    Tue, Dec 10 2013 2:44 PM

You've made the greatest step already, and that's use the forums, most questions have been asked here already, I know the search can be a bit of a ball ache to navigate but the wealth of information is invaluable.

There's a great blog by Fekdrink out there that takes him from newbie to Tour Master without spending a penny .......... HERE .

Hope this offers some valuable information and welcome to this great game.

• OcalaGreg
    6 Posts
    Tue, Dec 10 2013 9:34 PM

I'm an amateur. Ive just been playing others for 2 days now. I notice some people drop out in middle of game. Is it because I'm playing poorly, or?  Actually I was playing good when a cpl people dropped out.  The others were pros or tour pros but they didn't actually play that well.   so ????

• BubbaRubble
    26 Posts
    Wed, Dec 11 2013 6:34 AM

Thanks, Everyone, for all the feedback.

From what I have read so far

I will wait to move up and change equipment until Pro/Master, may try some balls though I would really like to have some spin, but from what I read I  would need to change clubs also.

I am going to play each course once than start to look for matches to play with others try to make some friends and learn

• senec
    252 Posts
    Wed, Dec 11 2013 10:11 AM

Notice no one answered your question Greg.

That's because it's totally irrelevant to the original post.

Now I'll be gracious and try to explain why people quit on you.

Opponents usually take a look at your profile while they are playing you.

What they see is an amateur who is a member since 2009,playing with ez swing clubs and also missing a club in his bag.

If you want people to take you seriously get your act together ok!

To the new guy Bubba,enjoy the game and don't let the rants on the forum get to you.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Dec 11 2013 11:17 AM

To the OP:  Watch the forums for free giveaways starting this Friday!

12DaysofChristmas music.swf

BlimpAd.swf

• OcalaGreg
    6 Posts
    Wed, Dec 11 2013 2:51 PM

Well, Senec. Since you were "gracious" enough to tell me to get my act together, I'll reply. I signed up in 09 but only started playing a few months ago. I literally didn't know there was a difference between my clubs and "real" clubs (other than upgraded, pricier ones) until you pointed that out.  I had to do a search to find about EZ swing clubs & others. I've changed the ones it lets me but it wont let me change my irons. Probably something I don't understand but will figure out.  BTW, I searched the forums & this was the closest  to a new player question I could find.  Anyway, thanks for replying to me.

• PAGES
RSS