Sat, Jul 5 2014 7:13 AM (30 replies)
  • saltiresfan
    2,266 Posts
    Tue, Dec 31 2013 1:09 PM

Thanks. I'll definitely look into that.

• row2seat2
    1,441 Posts
    Tue, Dec 31 2013 1:19 PM

If you read your putts while looking at your screen in a mirror while putting left handed (for right handed players) it makes a world of a difference.

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Tue, Dec 31 2013 4:30 PM

saltiresfan:
    I used to love playing Kiawah but once I worked out how to putt I realised that I can't stand it. Total lottery.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And I won't be trying what Will says...not because I don't think there are good pointers in his response but to learn a course again at this point..hmmm

UL's on the other hand I Will ( no pun intended )..just seems more like accounting for wind than anything else...

Andy

• Willsstrs
    632 Posts
    Tue, Dec 31 2013 5:09 PM

Yeah I will say I still do mostly avoid Kiawah, even with this thing I came up with that helps, I still have a hard time competing with players who can stick it 5 ft with a 5 iron reliably...then they don't need any crazy putting skills, they don't have to deal with it. Kiawah has the easiest greens to approach but the hardest to hole out on IMO (not counting whistler which just gets a big LOL from me) just because of the little ridges and the weird camera angles. I agree that most players should stay out of competition on Kiawah lol...However this thing I came up with does happen on all of the other courses, just on a smaller scale.

• lonniescott711
    4,204 Posts
    Tue, Dec 31 2013 6:25 PM

Its not a hard course, once you learn it . Play it in practice rounds until you learn the layout . Once you do that , then you will find that its not as hard as you thought . :-)

• Willsstrs
    632 Posts
    Tue, Dec 31 2013 6:42 PM

lonniescott711:

Its not a hard course, once you learn it . Play it in practice rounds until you learn the layout . Once you do that , then you will find that its not as hard as you thought . :-)

I wouldn't say it's hard, just it plays to the strengths of laser irons and personally I can't compete with the shots of some...That being said-on a good day I can get in the 56-58 range there but those are rare and I usually end up 61 or so...but there are players who are just so good with their irons they can comfortably shoot 58 on a regular basis; a 61 in mod winds tourney greens would get 15th place in a ready-go so it's just not for us mortals lol

• GlassMan27
    573 Posts
    Tue, Dec 31 2013 8:11 PM

saltiresfan:
    it's the putts not breaking as the read shows. False breaks etc are a total nightmare.

Yep. And I've never cared enough to take notes and whatnot, it's a game. The players who note and remember where the false breaks are have a big advantage at Kiawah. I will always just play what the break displays, to my demise on this course.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Tue, Dec 31 2013 10:07 PM

derekortt:

I'd love nothing more than that course to be removed until better putting angles are available. You cannot even line up a 5 footer on that place.

Only course here on WGT where skill is not the primary factor. The primary factor is whether or not you can actually read your putt.

Think I'll stop dropping credits playing Kiawah tourneys

I must admit...  I will disagree and agree with what the OP is saying.

We have to have Kia to play... so I daisagree with getting rid of it.

When I first started the hardest greens to putt on was Oak. Now the hardest greens to putt on is Oly... don't ask me why, i'm not too sure....lol

Wgt has changed the angles on Kia to putt on, which I suppose is a good thing... but made it really hard for everybody to read the greens....lol, I don't mind that.

Angled putts are very hard to read and maybe Wgt should start to think about that with other courses...    I really don't know why I've just said that....hmmm

From tee to green Kia is an easy course...  the new angles (or old angles) just make it that harder for us all.

-Roger

• yldcatz
    66 Posts
    Thu, Jul 3 2014 4:46 PM

lmao

• ShadyShank
    629 Posts
    Sat, Jul 5 2014 7:13 AM

GlassMan27:
    And I've never cared enough to take notes and whatnot, it's a game.

I'm the same, but a couple months after I started I caved & bought one of the damn notebooks. Now all I want to be able to do is get rid of it, but can't figure out how. It may have 3 notes in it and hasn't been opened since the 2nd week I had it.

Think I'll fill it with a bunch of good sounding info and put it up on Ebay. : )

RSS