Forums

Help › Forums

Control Groups for Beta Testing

Tue, Sep 14 2010 9:08 PM (8 replies)
  • jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Tue, Sep 14 2010 11:52 AM

Why doesn't WGT utilize "control groups" for new product updates and changes before rolling the live product out?

I know that WGT has a small workforce while trying to accomplish many goals.  To me it seems like a no brainer to have a cross-section of players from each tier (excluding hacks as they don't have enough experience) test new equipment, courses, tees, meter improvements (not likely to ever see this one), and anything else WGT would like to introduce.  This would save countless headaches for the company, make the players feel like we have a voice in a product we care so much about, and generally make for smoother roll outs.

Yes WGT is still Beta, but since they collect money from customers, most players view this as a final product and don't readily accept poorly executed changes like those that occurred recently.  The idea of the recent changes was solid, practical application not so much.  This could have been much more fluid with some valuable input from the folks paying the bills, THE PLAYERS!

The idea for a control group would be very structured and looking for certain things like:

1. Meter performance with new changes.
    2. Fairway and green mapping issues.  (good lord i've been in the rough about 30 times since update when I was clearly 2 feet in fairway)
    3. Green mapping.  (don't know how many putts actually break against the direction the balls are rolling now but it's considerably worse than before)
    4. Playability and fun factor.
    5. Wild deviations like the problem with BPB 8 after last update.
    6. Plenty more to add here but you get the idea.

Control group would serve for a 3 to 6 month period then likely rotate.  I know I and many other players would be honored to serve free of charge with the goal of truly making this the best golf site in the world. 

I'd also be happy to help WGT work this idea through if it's viewed as beneficial by forming plans for confidentiality, reporting structure, frequency,  eligible participants and so on.

Thoughts?

• EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Tue, Sep 14 2010 12:00 PM

I'm liking this idea, and, thinking about it, am amazed that this is not already happening!

I'd be more than happy to volunteer as the resident Tour Pro failure tester for that.

• BEARlyThere
    88 Posts
    Tue, Sep 14 2010 12:21 PM

This is a great idea.

Since the line has been blurred on what the various life cycle stages are in software development - not just WGT but countless other platforms as well - I believe this could be very useful.

WGT calls itself "beta". Okay, well if we're going to go with that then we are all open beta testers.

What is needed is a group of closed beta testers to do exactly what was laid out in the original post.

I'm sure WGT would have no problem finding this group to help make the transition of new releases go a lot smoother with the customer base - those of us paying to beta test. :-)

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Tue, Sep 14 2010 12:24 PM

This is a good idea and I'm really surprised WGT hasn't done this a long time ago.

I think the focus of the group could be twofold.

Pre-release testing

• Making sure what worked before still works
    • Testing the new features and interactions with existing capabilities.

On-going testing

• Duplicating bug reports and providing data to devs
    • Finding all the little items, like mapping issues and deviations

One item that needs to be considered is the group will get an early look at new courses, new tees, new pins, and new clubs.  This could give members of the group an advantage (for a while at least) in tournaments using the new "assets".

But I'd be willing to forego playing in tournaments on a new course for a month if I was involved in the testing of it.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Tue, Sep 14 2010 1:21 PM

Great idea.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Tue, Sep 14 2010 2:07 PM

WGT is using the guise of "beta" as cover to release untested new features.

This game isn't Beta, and hasn't been in a long time.

• BEARlyThere
    88 Posts
    Tue, Sep 14 2010 2:56 PM

marioh:

WGT is using the guise of "beta" as cover to release untested new features.

This game isn't Beta, and hasn't been in a long time.

This isn't  new. For quite a while now many software developers have used beta as a smokescreen.

I personally disagree with this tactic but it's become such a fact of life in the industry now I have to look past it.

It makes me laugh really. I know one particular project that has been calling itself "beta" for over 5 years. It is a confirmed money-making project and the company was considering offering public shares. The laughable part is they still put out what they call RC1's and RC2's (Release Candidates) which shouldn't be released until beta testing is complete (open and closed beta).

At least, that's the way it used to be.

This is why WGT needs to consider closed beta. They're foolish if they don'tt. And, like you andy, I'm stunned that they're not doing it already.

If they are and they're hiding it, I don't see the point to that either. Knowing a developer is working hard to make sure their product is working as expected before major releases isn't something to be ashamed of.

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Tue, Sep 14 2010 3:40 PM

I think it would be great for the game.

I would love to see all tiers get some representation.

• Todibus
    105 Posts
    Tue, Sep 14 2010 9:08 PM

I would love to see a WGT response to this thread.

RSS