Forums

Help › Forums

LONGER BALL LIFE

Tue, Apr 15 2014 11:54 PM (61 replies)
  • andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Fri, Mar 14 2014 9:47 AM

A ball retriever just seems ridiculous, as good a someone else suggesting being given the option to rummage through the grass looking for your ball.

Couldn't make it up!!

• TNP56
    510 Posts
    Fri, Mar 14 2014 11:52 AM

I also agree about seeing this thread on here over & over again.

You have a chance to buy other balls when you are on your last one before you start your round or in fact anytime DURING a round if you lose your second to last ball.....that is , if you have 2 balls left...and your on the 5th hole and lose that ball on that hole----soon as it comes back on for you to play your next shot it will tell you AGAIN this is your last ball. If you don't you are rolling the dice, not WGT.

People are going to have to deal with it...that is just the way it is here.

And NOOOOO you can't choose your next ball because of THE ONE BALL RULE.  That is THE RULE  here ....like it or not.  All the crying in the world is not going to make them change WGT 'S mind on this.....like it or not.

Tarheel is right too....if your gonna keep crying about longer ball life, well guess what ?  They ARE GONNA  GIVE IT TO YOU  ! !     ....they are gonna give it to you alright by charging you 900 to 1000 credits for a sleeve of 3 balls with another dot on the life meter.....then what people ?

I , myself have no problem at all doing surveys and watching vid's for credits....Hell I got the R1 driver FOR FREE --just by doing that. I don't play for a lot of credits and don't care if I have a million of them....the most I have ever spent on this game is 7 to 10 dollars every now and then just make sure I have ball credits to play.........when I can't get enuff credits on vids and surveys.

As for the ball retriever thing.....ain't gonna to happen either , because the price they will charge you for it would be so high--- you might as well buy more balls.

• YankeeAirPirate
    124 Posts
    Sat, Mar 15 2014 11:44 PM

Spoken like a perfectly Kool-Aid besotted WGT shill, TNP56. "That's just the way it is" is as ovine as it gets. You DO realize that WGT is a business, right? Matter of fact, as much as I detest their seemingly total disregard for player/customer satisfaction, I did check to see if they were close to taking the company public. I'd definitely plunk down for some shaes of stock in an IPO.

You also sound like either a kid living off of mom and dad, or a retiree with more time on your hands than you know what to do with. No problem taking surveys to earn credits, eh? Well not me. I own a business and work 8-10 hours/day at it, so I have some experience at the other end of "customer satisfaction."

Maybe you think that WGT is too big to give a rat's patootie about a handful of disgruntled players who think that $6 bucks is exhorbitant to pay for a decent ball that represents ZERO overhead to WGT. It's not a real ball, it's a code snip. Same code snip for everybody playing tha ball. Once programmed (probably 15 minutes worth of serious programming), there is zero overhead to it.

So I pay $6 for something WGT paid probably around $50 (for an hour's work for a whiz-bang programmer), one-time, years ago, and it has the service life of a friggin Mayfly. THAT is a gouge and only sheeple see fit to simply bend over and grab their ankles about it. WGT needs to feel some actual financial heat.

A concerted campaign on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Reddit, etc. and they'd notice the dent in their precious bottom line right away, and they'd be eager to placate the disgruntled loudmouths. And hey, if $5-and-over balls had a lifespan of 3.5 or 4, that'd probably do it. And THAT's how business works, TNP56.

• alosso
    21,054 Posts
    Sun, Mar 16 2014 12:41 AM

Thank you for the paragraphs.

YankeeAirPirate:
    So I pay $6 for something WGT paid probably around $50 (for an hour's work for a whiz-bang programmer), one-time, years ago, and it has the service life of a friggin Mayfly. THAT is a gouge and only sheeple see fit to simply bend over and grab their ankles about it. WGT needs to feel some actual financial heat.

We are in a free world, aren't we? WGT is responsible for their business, and we are responsible for ourselves.

So please allow them reimbursement not only for the short ball programming time but also for maintenance, servers, developpers and other staff to continue and expand the site (Pinehurst coming up!) plus the building to keep their a$$es warm and dry. Add some revenue for the owners in return of their investments. Much of this comes from ball sales, and we have the lucky choice of the price we want to pay.

If you still see a gouge here, don't behave like a sheep but act responsively.
    I for one pay lightheartedly for the fun and everything I get here in return of my investments.

That's how business works.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, Mar 16 2014 1:22 AM

YankeeAirPirate:
    I did check to see if they were close to taking the company public. I'd definitely plunk down for some shaes of stock in an IPO.

Not me until I saw profit overall situation.  Do you know factually, with hard numbers, no guessing different ??

YankeeAirPirate:
    tha ball. Once programmed (probably 15 minutes worth of serious programming), there is zero overhead to it.

AND?? Overall profit?? 

YankeeAirPirate:
    WGT needs to feel some actual financial heat.

Love to see some competition myself, but I am not investing in any alternative.  Can't have been a rush of others either?  Don't get me wrong I would love to see the competition to keep things honest.  The lack of it does not suggest this is easy fast money stuff though???

YankeeAirPirate:
    And hey, if $5-and-over balls had a lifespan of 3.5 or 4, that'd probably do it.

OK you obviously have the inside track, and the advantage here.  What are WGTs profit margins? I have no clue.  Please share the overall picture.

YankeeAirPirate:
    And THAT's how business works

Wel quoted type stuff as follows: "Profiteering refers to taking advantage of unusual or exceptional circumstances to make excessive profits..........Usually, there is no governmental control over profiteering unless it involves any illegal means."

Being pi$$ed at ball price, same as me, sadly does not mean the business is sound, good, bad or indifferent overall.  It certainly does not mean that the overall profits are unreasonable, unless you know different.  Only hard factual numbers please.

YankeeAirPirate:
    And hey, if $5-and-over balls had a lifespan of 3.5 or 4, that'd probably do it.

Ok so you want it cheaper.  Again please state exactly what their overall bottom profit margin is, and also predictions for next couple of years.  Without that you are guessing in to the wind.  Some facebook campaign without hard evidence would last 5 minutes.  Moreover you would be looking at extreme profits before any one would care less. and so far all you are is pi$$ed at ball price, no proof anything concerning profit.  Look at the Banks and they don't give a rats, and make what??...publicly declared trillions in losses lol and pay generational wealth bonuses.  Sorry mate but telling WGT what would do there business good price wise, without a clue as to their profits overall is frankly just whinging.  your suggestion knocks say 1/3 rd (figure out of air but please give exacts if you have them) off their ball profits.  What does that do to their NOI (profit) overall ? - I am all ears.  Lists with numbers of similar internet games (businesses) that did themselves a favour by limiting expense?  Before and after NOIs.

Away from all this I would say WGT are pushing prices higher than many want to bear.  Pretty sure they are monitoring how much they can squeeze it closely.  I hope the result is healthy for them and the consumer, and I would point out to them to think long and hard about even pricier equipment.  Yep just in the hope they look hard.  

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Sun, Mar 16 2014 3:44 AM

Chinajohn:
    If it reduces income it's not going to happen.

Some kind of pro shop promotion would be nice.

i.e buy 6 sleeves and get 1 sleeve free would be nice....even 1 ball free would be a start.

WGT are tighter a Rudolph  Nureyev's  a$$cheeks, so don't expect any change to the format.

• YankeeAirPirate
    124 Posts
    Sun, Mar 16 2014 3:34 PM

You can do your own math and fact-digging, Jimbog1964. But for starters, I'd have to say it doesn't take a pencil-necked bean counter to tell at a glance that the massive numbers or members and rounds played WGT claims versus the impressively low overhead an ethereal thing like a computer program, server farm, programming and administrative staff represents (and all that surely being offset handsomely by the ubiquitous advertising sold on the site), WGT is a gold mine of extraordinary proportions.

But if you need some help figuring that out, here are some tidbits from WGT's own "About Us" link:

"Although EA's Tiger Woods title still rules the console business, with 30 million copies and $1.2 billion in revenue to date, Cheng says WGT attracts 20 to 30 times as many players as EA's Tiger Woods online game."  -- Fortune Magazine, 09/10/2012

"We've built relationships with the USGA and the R&A, and we have more than four million registered users. A good course will do 100,000 rounds a year. We just recorded our 100 millionth round."  Golf.com - THE GAMER, YuChiang Cheng, WGT CEO, 02/29/2012

09/23/2013 - Virtual U.S. Open Golf Game Tops 10 Million Rounds Played

"The combined total of more than 10.3 million virtual rounds over five years reflects a 28 percent average annual growth rate."  VentureBeat GamesBeat 09/23/2013

Now, with that much info, consider that all the equipment you purchase is likewise gossamer. Your club is a code snip, the ball another code snip, etc. And if Cheng is any CEO at all, he's sold the idea to all the major equipment brands to put their brand name on it... for a fee. So, you could likely anticipate a double-whammy rake on, say, a $6.00 sleeve of Nike balls; collecting from you as well as an advertisement royalty from Nike.

But of course, WGT's main stream of revenue would be their rake on game play. 20% on Ready Go tournaments. Straightforward math there. 50 players at say 200 credits ($2.00 USD) for a full 18 at Congressional = 10,000 credits. Purse available to players: 80,000 credits. WGT rake = $20 for every Ready Go played. And that's round the clock.

Same 20% rake for country club money tournaments and fee-based (usually 100 cr) Stroke Play tournaments (200 player limit = 4,000 cr / $40 rake for WGT); about 10% on challenge match games (222 credits, 200 up for grabs, 22 for WGT),

I'm not going to do the bean-counting for you beyond that. WGT is rolling in gold and I'm happy for them for it. They have created a magnificent game, the visual aspects are amazing, the gameplay programming is spectacular (despite some goofs here and there), and everybody at WGT deserves to get filthy rich, which no doubt at least the upper rungs of the corporate ladder already are.

BUT -- that SHOULD mean they owe their cash cows, we money-spending players, some respectful consideration to keep us contented. And that's why the obvious gouge on the cost of premium golf balls, combined with the Mayfly-like short service life of them (2.5, indeed) is such an egregious insult.

This cash cow is now a raging bull bucking in the chute to demand some "customer" consideration.

And yes, of course, WGT provides free stuff to play with if you are of a demeanor to remain satisfied with it, and never covet any notion of playing competitively for WGT credits. All businesses provide something like that -- like throwing in "free" shipping (most often recouped in the sale price) of online sales of tangible goods. Businesses that continually ignore customer feedback and take an abusive course, shoving players/customers aside to grab that extra dollar, deserve to fail.

Bump those costly ($5 or over would be a reasonable threshold) balls up to 3.5 - 4.0 longevity and this raging bull goes back to placidly grazing on the rolling links of St. Andrews.

• alosso
    21,054 Posts
    Sun, Mar 16 2014 3:53 PM

Impressing numbers NOT.

10 million rounds in 5 years, that's 2 Mio per. Take 5 $ per sleeve, that's about 0.50 $ per 9 holes round. Half in 9 holes, half in 18 holes, it's 1.5 Million $. Add the same for clubs, same for rake, double feature for ads, the gross income would be mere 7.5 Million $. Not too much for a business IMHO.

• YankeeAirPirate
    124 Posts
    Sun, Mar 16 2014 4:26 PM

alosso:

Impressing numbers NOT.

10 million rounds in 5 years, that's 2 Mio per. Take 5 $ per sleeve, that's about 0.50 $ per 9 holes round. Half in 9 holes, half in 18 holes, it's 1.5 Million $. Add the same for clubs, same for rake, double feature for ads, the gross income would be mere 7.5 Million $. Not too much for a business IMHO.

Even if your math were correct, that's an old figure and that's per year without any significant increase in overhead. Matter of fact, once the overhead of original programming for clubs and balls is recouped, the profit margin widens considerably.

You may be thinking about conventional businesses of this scale where warehousing, employees in the hundreds or thousands, storefront/building and all the other utility expenses comes into play -- not to mention an ongoing wholesale or manufacturing cost for product that WGT is not obliged to incur.

Keep in mind, WGT is a server farm and a corporate office. Their entire product is generated by computer programming, most of which is already several years old and thoroughly recouped.  Miniscule overhead vs a conventional business.

$7.5 million/year (and that would be a bare bones presumption) is not counting any advertising revenues, which according to the unique visitor stats WGT can boast would have to be VERY impressive. That may not impress you as a very profitable business, but subtract out the pittance of overhead and you're still left with probably 80-90% of gross. Nothing "conventional" about that.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, Mar 16 2014 4:37 PM

YankeeAirPirate:
    But if you need some help figuring that out, here are some tidbits from WGT's own "About Us" link:

I do please.

in your estimate.  Expenditure last two years then next two years overall versus Nett profit.

Then how that compares to other games out there.

Just the numbers, no tidbits please:)

RSS