Forums

Help › Forums

Hooked on WGT, new to the forums. Hello!

rated by 0 users
Tue, May 20 2014 7:38 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • eddomer
    11 Posts
    Tue, May 6 2014 10:21 PM

I've enjoyed playing WGT for sometime now, but haven't played with other players, or been reading the forums. My progress is very slow. I'm stuck on the pro tier, and seem to not be improving, regardless of having changes clubs and balls frequently. It's rare for me to finish a round at par. 

• MainzMan
    9,590 Posts
    Wed, May 7 2014 10:08 AM

Welcome to the forums, you did the right thing finding them and becoming active.  There is loads of good advice if you look hard enough for it.

I took a quick look at your stats and gear and have a few suggestions.

Your problems appear to come from too few greens being hit in regulation, 58% isn't very high.  Your average distance to pin is pretty high too at 22 feet.  If you can knock 2 or 3 feet off that you're going to need fewer 3 putts, at the moment you need an average of 2.09 putts per hole.  If you can get that down to 1.9 or so then you're saving 2 shots per 18 holes right there.

Your gear is OK-ish but very mixed.  What caught my eye was the 3 different types of wedges.  There are plenty of very good players who have mixed wedges and play brilliantly with them but I think they're the exception to be honest.  You currently have the level 39 ATV 64 degree wedge, I'd think about adding the 60 and 54 to this.

You also have the Max precision irons, good irons if you can hit the ding but the meter is wicked fast and this is probably what's causing your problems on approach shots.  Do you miss the ding a lot with them?  In 3 levels you can get the Rocketballz irons, they have a much friendlier meter and should improve your approaches a lot.

Having a slower meter will also mean you won't need such an expensive ball to slow it down, instead of paying 650 credits for a sleeve of those Nikes try the L33 Callaway at only 250 credits.  The meter will probably still be slower than you're used to if you get the Rocketballz irons and the performance is still very good.

I'd also consider adding the R11s 3 wood to your bag, it has the same meter speed as your driver.  Which is fine by the way, no complaints there.

I know that lot won't come cheap but you'll soon make up the cost if you change balls.  Once your gear is sorted out you can start looking at technique.  I've probably written enough to last you today.

• eddomer
    11 Posts
    Wed, May 7 2014 10:57 AM

Mainzman, thank you sooo much for the advice! I've been struggling with poor scores for what seems like forever. I will take your suggestions regarding the gear. I have been spending a fortune on balls, so I will take the savings and put that towards new clubs.

I really appreciate the time and detail you gave to my first post. I've been reluctant to get involved because I didn't feel comfortable with these terrible scores.

Thanks again!

ed

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Wed, May 7 2014 11:57 AM

welcome

mainzman provided a good analysis, give it a read and see what you think:)

as for all, practice is everything

-wgticon

• eddomer
    11 Posts
    Wed, May 7 2014 4:32 PM

MainzMan,

I grabbed the 3wood and a new wedge today. I'll get to work on the rest. The irons I'm sure will help alot. 3 more levels to go.

ed

• 2DAMFLASHY
    1,141 Posts
    Wed, May 7 2014 4:46 PM

this helped me alot when i had yer putter....

lot less 3 putts...

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/80998.aspx?PageIndex=1

u will need to get putter pal... an go by the %... u will have to ad or subtract a lil when up or down hill...

gl gl  ..peace

• eddomer
    11 Posts
    Wed, May 7 2014 9:26 PM

The R11 3 wood and two of the new wedges helped tremendously. I dropped my score from +6, and +10 from yesterday to a +1. Got an eagle from 128 yards ( 2nd ever). I still hit one in the drink though. 

Thanks!!

ed

• eddomer
    11 Posts
    Wed, May 7 2014 9:30 PM

Thanks 2DAMFLASHY! I've got some work to do figuring this out!

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, May 8 2014 2:59 AM

Hi Ed and welcome to the forum.

Great advice by MM - and good to see you were receptive to the advice and have made changes.

I agree with the ball, I would  recommend  the level 33 Cally - a good ball for the price.

Iron wise I would consider the Bladez - a longer wait but great clubs that many legends have used to very good effect.

In the meantime search the forums for tips and hints (use the search box to the right of this page) as there is a ton of great info in here.

Finally if you want a hit, timezones match, and I am green, give me a holler and we can have a game and talk through different shots.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Thu, May 8 2014 3:29 AM

Play some Alt shot, you can learn a lot in chat from better players and most are willing to help lower tier players along. Send me a friend request and we can knock a few balls about.

• PAGES
RSS