Forums

Help › Forums

MLB challenge. You could win GI-SD Vapor balls!

Mon, Apr 4 2011 11:46 PM (269 replies)
  • Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Mon, Oct 11 2010 3:21 PM

Well now we have two teams that are in the League championship series. Philadelphia did what then needed to do to dispose of one of the more potent offense's in the NL yesterday behinnd the strong arm of Cole Hamels. Tampa Bay extened their series to a final and decisive game 5 against Texas and San Francisco took a 2-1 games lead with a come from behind win in Atlanta.

Tampa Bay seemed to have control of that game from the start. You just felt that Tampa was going to win this game from the start. Both starting pitchers weren't what you would call dominate. Both had 7 strikeouts. Wade Davis went 5 innings and gave up just 2 runs. Then Tampa's bullpen came in and finished the job to keep Texas off the scoreboard and helped send this series back to Tropicana field. While Texas had their starter, Tommy Hunter, go just 4 innings while giving up 3 runs. Then Washington turned to his bullpen and put in Derek Holland and gave up 2 runs of his own. Didn't really matter though as Texas could only muster 2 runs. Even though Tampa seems to have momentum on their side they have to face Cliff Lee in the final game. And he is 5-0 in six career postseason starts. So yeah, they have their work cut out for them.

How about Atlanta. One could say that they are a huge underdog against the Giants but somehow, someway, they are trying so hard to make this a series. Jonathon Sanchez shut down Atlanta's offense. With San Francisco looking dead in the water and down 1-0, Eric Hinske hit a 2 run homer off of Sergio Romo in the eighth and all of a sudden Atlanta was just 3 outs away from taking a commanding 2-1 lead in the series. Then came the top of the ninth. With 2 outs and the outcome looking pretty bleak for the Giants Buster Posey hit a pretty hard ground ball to the first base side of second, Brooks Conrad squared himself to scoop it up and throw to first but then the unthinkable happened. It went right under his glove and between his feet and into right field. And the Gaints take the lead and win the game. Fundametals man....fundametals. Get your glove down. I couldn't imagine how he feels after that. Will that be the play that Atlanta fans remember after the series is done. I hope not. It continues tonight.

And then their was one other game on last night. The Philadelphia Phillies put away the Cincinnati Reds and moved on to the next round behind the dominate performance of Cole Hamels. Cole pitched a complete 5 hit shutout. Cincinnati never really had much of a chance to win this game. He was everything that Philly fans and teammates alike hoped for. After the so-so performance by Oswalt some wondered if Cole would do the same or pitch a gem of his own. Now I wouldn't consider it "gem" of a perfromance. But he did strike out 9. And one of the best hitting lineups in the NL looked like they couldn't even see the ball. And lets be honest. Philadelphia's offense wasn't there either. They had one homerun all series. Chase Utley hit that yesterday. And that's it. We are a homerun hitting, RBI producing lineup. But it certainly didn't show in that series. Are they in another slump? Well.......I don't know I would call it a slump. I mean they are doing just enough to get by. But that won't fly if they want to make the World Series a third year in a row. And if they somehow do and they face New York. Then they better hope their bats wake up because we all know what will happen if they don't. Congratulations to Philadelphia and all their fans. (Oh wait thats me) :)

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Mon, Oct 11 2010 4:38 PM

Just trying out my new pic!

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Mon, Oct 11 2010 5:05 PM

MBaggese:

LOL.....LOL......LOL......LOL......LOL.....LOL.....LOL!! Oh wait I'm sorry. I didn't mean to laugh. Thats my bad.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, Oct 12 2010 8:47 AM

Yoda79:

MBaggese:

LOL.....LOL......LOL......LOL......LOL.....LOL.....LOL!! Oh wait I'm sorry. I didn't mean to laugh. Thats my bad.

Funny guy!

Now I think the "perfect" bet between Philly and SF would be...

If SF wins, you use the "SF" logo in your pic for a month.

If Philly wins, I use the Philly logo as my pic for a month.

Let's see how how much faith you have in them boys! :)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Oct 12 2010 9:00 AM

I think it looks great, MB. I grew up a Giant fan out there and that logo brings back instant memories. I think the Phil/SF series is going to be a low scoring, tense affair. As Yoda points out if the Phillies wake up there might be some fireworks but good pitching stops good hitting. Too bad it has to be coast-to-coast, that makes for tired players.

BTW, don't you think Uribe is a little hefty for a SS?  :-)

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, Oct 12 2010 9:12 AM

YankeeJim:

BTW, don't in gou think Uribe is a little hefty for a SS?  :-)

No doubt, but he has such a great arm, he can usually make the play.  And although he didn't show it much against ATL, he does swing a good bat...something like 25HR's and 85 RBI in the regular season.

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Tue, Oct 12 2010 11:48 AM

Ok. Yeah I'm down. I'll take that bet. I don't know where to get that logo from but if need be I'll figure it out and do it. I have all the faith in the world in my boys. How about you?

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Tue, Oct 12 2010 12:44 PM

Didn't you just put the logo's up for the Phillies "YankeeJim"? Oh wait you probably took it down cuz you were trying to put both up. Ok. Cool. Thanks for the help. Hey you woudn't want to get involved in the bet would ya "YankeeJim"? That is if the Yankees make it the World Series. Which I'm sure they will.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Oct 12 2010 12:56 PM

LOL-Had both of them on the preview but the SF didn't want to play.  :-(

And no thanks on getting involved, I'm not sure the Yankees have squashed their demons. I've seen it all year and they still can't get a runner in from 3rd when they have the chance. With pitching turning out to be the big factor the big bats might not be so big. Look for speed to make a difference and small ball to go with it.

No matter who does what you're going to see the best baseball you've ever seen in the next 3 weeks and it starts tonight. Oddly enough, the Yankees really benefit from this because both aces they could face are not going to see CC Friday and they're going to have to pitch tired their second game. Advantage NY. :-)

As for you guys I hope you go 7 games and beat the daylights out of each other. LOL.

p.s.., Google "Phillies Logo", right click the image, save the image to your computer, go to your avatar and upload it there.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Tue, Oct 12 2010 12:58 PM

Hmmm... what if it's San Francisco vs. Texas in the series?  Bad for TV ratings.  Will the entire East coast tune out?

RSS