Forums

Help › Forums

MLB challenge. You could win GI-SD Vapor balls!

Mon, Apr 4 2011 11:46 PM (269 replies)
  • Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Wed, Oct 13 2010 2:17 PM

Well their it folks. Who would of thought it. The Texas Rangers defeat the Tampa Bay Rays 3-2 and move on to the next round. And how did they do it.

Speed and smarts on the basepaths. I mean really.....did you really think Vladimir Guerero was going to score from second. But hey it was Price's fault. He was covering first and when the ball was thrown to him the umpire called the baserunner safe. And instead of looking at the other baserunners on base to make sure they are where their supposed to be, he turns and wants to argue the call. And in the meantime Vlad is coming home. Vlad is 35 yrs old. There is absolutley no reason why he should of even considered it. He is old and he is slow. (All in baseball standards). Oh yeah and I think somebody by the name of Cliff Lee played a small part in that win as well. So I say good job Texas Rangers taking it to the Rays on a pretty impressive win. This Rangers club is a funny bunch. They got the antlers and then their is Josh Hamilton getting a gingerale shower after the game. Which I got to say I was quite impressed to hear that he stayed away from the champagine shower. But that is a whole other conversation. Anyways congratulations to the Texas Rangers and good luck in the ALCS. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Oct 13 2010 2:28 PM

Oh yeah. And let's hope they keep up the streak as well  and lose all the home games but win the away ones.  OOPS-they only play 3 on the road!   :-D

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Wed, Oct 13 2010 2:33 PM

Well folks. And now we are down to 4 teams total. The San Francisco Giants travel to Philadelphia to play the Phillies and the New York Yankees travel to Arlington Texas to play the Rangers. Will we have a repeat of the world Series from last year or will the Texas Rangers and the San Francisco Giants pull off improbable wins and shock the baseball community. Ok......I don't think the Giants winning would be a total shocker with their pitching staff but the Rangers winning? Yeah that would be a shocker. I don't think it's going to happen but hey you never know. I still stand behind my prediction and say the Phillies and Yankees with the Phillies winning in 6 games. I could go on and on about the matchups here and I just may before Friday but for now I am going to type everybody's prediction that is correct so far. Now if I don't type your name in below that doesn't mean your out of the running. Because you could still win with getting 2 out of the 3 possible teams correct. But that would mean everybody would have to miss one as well. Anyways I know that probably a little confusing but in the end it will be sorted out. Here they are and good luck to ya!!

onstrike - S.F. Giants vs. N.Y. Yankees - N.Y. Yankees

spivey1964 - P. Phillies vs. N.Y. Yankees - P. Phillies

AHudd - S.F. Giants vs. N.Y. Yankees - S.F. Giants

yakker - P.Phillies vs. T. Rangers - P. Phillies

Wow!! This was the first day I looked over the picks since I posted them and I am a little shocked. 4 people still have perfect predictions. 5 if you include me but I don't count obviously. Well like I said you could still win it if 3 of these picks above are wrong. The only combination I don't have here is the Giannts and Rangers. So if those are the two teams that end up making it then that opens the door for a few more people to get back into this thing. Alot of people picked the Rays to make the World Series and they got screwed. Well it will be interesting to see who is left after this next series. Good luck to the 4 people still left with perfect predictions and good luck to everybody else as your not quite out of it yet.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Oct 13 2010 2:41 PM

Interesting scenario in NY/Texas. The Yankees have always owned them and it started out that way this year when the met early April. Texas saw the full pitching complement  and got swept.

Fast forward to September when the Rangers got even and spanked them 3 straight. Problem is, they saw 3 no names on the mound and the Yankees were cruising.  This is for a big bag of marbles now. LOL

What is going to be a problem is Vlad the Yankee Impaler. He absolutely kills the Yankees and will probably hit .600.  OIY!

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Wed, Oct 13 2010 3:01 PM

Interesting scenario indeed there fella. But I still stand by my pick and say the Yankees will clean house. I'm thinking in 5 games. Why 5? You have to face Cliff Lee at least once. Since he pitched game 5 and went all 9 innings you won't see him for game 1. You will probably get him game 2. And we all know what happened last year when you guys faced him. So if he goes game 2 that means he would go.......what game 6 or 7? I just don't see Texas winning a game without Lee on the mound. Obviously I could be wrong but I don't think I am. Now honestly I'm rooting for the Rangers because I know if the Phillies make the World Series they would have a much easier time with Texas than New York. Well anyways good luck to you and your Yankees even though you probably won't need it.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Thu, Oct 14 2010 8:58 AM

I've the the Jones for a ball game!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Oct 14 2010 10:15 AM

MBaggese:
    I've the the Jones for a ball game!

Oh man, me too. MLB.com for archived games piped through my shop system gets me by. (The Yankees always win them too!)    :-)

BTW, Girardi moved his rotation around. CC, Hughes, Petite vs. Lee at YS, Burnet. Saving Andy for game 7 so if it goes that far Lee pitches against him for the marbles. Oh boy.

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Thu, Oct 14 2010 2:22 PM

I couldn't agree with you two any more. I can't wait till Saturday. Hell I can't wait till Friday. I'm very interested to see how Texas comes out in game 1 and see if they could steal one from New York. And Cliff Lee, I heard today, won't pitch till game 3! I'm sorry but the Rangers don't have much of a shot at all. But really I don't think it matters when he pitches. I think the best Texas could do is win 2 games. But like I always say, I guess we will wait and see. And then Halladay vs. the Giants and Lincecum vs. the Phillies. It's going to come down to who makes the most mistakes and how long can both go. If they turn it over to the bullpen then that would be a toss up as well. Even though the Giants had the better bullpen for the season, the Phillies turned it on down the stretch and was damn close to the best bullpen in the majors. So I gotta say advantage Phillies. Only because the Phillies have been there before. I'm so excited I can hardly wait!!

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Thu, Oct 14 2010 11:55 PM

Well fellow MLB fans. Today is the day. The start of the LCS games. And tonight on TBS the New York Yankees will be taking on the Texas Rangers for the American League Chamionship. Also in case your wondering FOX will be showing the National League Championship Series which include the San Francisco Giants battling my Philadelphia Phillies. Stay tuned to this thread for updates throughout both series.

• yakker
    7 Posts
    Fri, Oct 15 2010 5:24 PM

As strong as the Yankees appear, there are several reasons for concern that still give my prediction hope.  Not the least of which is at least one starting pitcher with a distinct possibility of mental implosion if things don't go his way.....  That being said, I do like how the Rangers have found ways to manufacture runs with newfound aggression.   Don't think for a minute that N.Y. isn't taking notes on what happened in the last game on the basepaths.  That little bit of added pressure could lead to costly mistakes amongst those that have become accustomed to playing at a more relaxed pace the last few weeks.  My concern is that darn closer.  No one before is as cool and calculated and deadly efficient as Rivera when it counts.  I've never been a Yankees fan, but that guy is beautiful to watch work.  He could be the difference in a close series.

RSS