Forums

Help › Forums

MLB challenge. You could win GI-SD Vapor balls!

Mon, Apr 4 2011 11:46 PM (269 replies)
  • Johniedino
    786 Posts
    Sun, Oct 24 2010 7:11 AM

I see the mariners signed eric wedge to manage. Should be an interesting yr for them.

J

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Oct 24 2010 8:39 AM

MBaggese:
    Hope Yoda is okay...

He's out shopping for the  SF logo.  

• yakker
    7 Posts
    Sun, Oct 24 2010 5:01 PM

Geesh, I thought the Rangers were my stretch pick.  Good news is, as a Rangers semi fan ('Stros are my team but we won't go there for a bit), I like the match up with SF better than the Phils.  Well anyway, I'm glad this brought others back into the prediction fray to keep it fun.  Yoda, keep your head up, the Phils made a hell of a run. 

Lets get the series started.

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Mon, Oct 25 2010 6:33 AM

Well folks I'm back. I have been dealing with a bout of depression these past couple of days. You see, when I say I'm a diehard passionate Philly fan, I really am. When they lose in the playoffs and I know there isn't anymore games to be played, yeah it affects me. I was so mad. I can still see that last pitch going across the plate a little low. But you know what? The Giants beat us fair and square. Their were missed calls for both teams. The Phillies had their chances. And if the Giants would of lost then I would be saying that the Giants had their chances. But hats off to the San Francisco Giants  for a well played series and I really hope they get their asses kicked in the World Series! :)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Oct 25 2010 6:57 AM

Yoda79:
         Well folks I'm back. I have been dealing with a bout of depression these past couple of days. You see, when I say I'm a diehard passionate Philly fan, I really am. When they lose in the playoffs and I know there isn't anymore games to be played, yeah it affects me

Been there, done that  Yoda. Too many times, in fact. It's not so bad when you have a decent team and can look forward to competing again next year, though. The Phillies fell prey to the same thing the Yankees did-the bats. Good pitching stops good hitting but silent bats stick out like a sore thumb. Both teams picked the wrong time to have hitting slumps and it made their opponents look good.

I think the SF/Texas matchup is a good one for baseball and looks like it will probably go 7. The Giants are as close to a ragtag bunch as you'll ever see playing inspired ball. Their GM did a fabulous job at the trade deadline and it's paying dividends now.

The Rangers are an amazing story. They should be called the Texas Phoenix, having risen from bankruptcy ashes thanks to Nolan Ryan and others (thank God Mark Cuban didn't get his hands on them.) Not only are they in business, Nolan Ryan has resurrected the proper pitching mentality-forget the pitch count, throw the dang ball!

This will be a fun series to watch as it's anybody's game. 

p.s., 119 days to Spring Training  :-)

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Mon, Oct 25 2010 7:19 AM

Alright everybody. With the devastating loss that Philly suffered that brought a couple more people back into this challenge. Here is a list of everybody that has a shot at winning a sleeve of balls. The top of the list here are the names that could potentially win if the Giants win because they would have of gotten 2 out of the possible 3 picks correct.

MBaggese - S.F. Giants vs. Minn. Twins - S.F. Giants

ThreeSpot - S.F. Giants vs. T.B. Rays - S.F. Giants

AHudd - S.F. Giants vs. N.Y. Yankees - S.F. Giants

Well, the above names are the names I would pulling from my 2008 World Series Champion Philadelphia Phillies ball cap. And remember, if the Giants win then 2 of the 3 names are winners as well. But if they don't win then the names below are the names that will be included in the drawing.

onstrike - S.F. Giants vs. N.Y. Yankees - N.Y. Yankees

wandasrick - S.F.Giants vs. T.B. Rays - T.B. Rays

WGTSky - S.F. Giants vs. T.B.Rays - T.B. Rays

KyRock75 - Cin. Reds vs. T. Rangers - Cin. Reds

MBaggese - S.F. Giants vs. Minn. Twins - S.F. Giants

ThreeSpot - S.F. Giants vs. T.B. Rays - S.F. Giants

AHudd - S.F. Giants vs. N.Y. Yankees - S.F. Giants

yakker - P.Phillies vs. T. Rangers - P. Phillies

Well there you have it folks. Just so everybody understands my process the above eight names are the ones that if the Texas Rangers win the championship are the ones that would of picked 1 out of the 3 possible picks correctly. Nobody picked the Rangers winning the entire thing so even though their were 2 people that picked the Rangers going to the series nobody had them winning it. So if anybody has any questions or if I copied down something wrong please let me know and I will investigate and make the correction. If not then good luck to everybody here.

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Mon, Oct 25 2010 7:42 AM

YankeeJim:
    It's not so bad when you have a decent team and can look forward to competing again next year, though.

Yeah......as usual you are completely correct in everything you said "YankeeJim". I just hope that the Phillies sign Jayson Werth to a long term deal. You know back in 2008 Jayson Werth was sharing time with, (can't remember his name) somebody, in right field. He wanted to be "the" guy. So he went to Charlie and asked to be the everyday guy in right. Charlie told him to hit left handers better and he will be. So thats exactly what Jayson did. And I know he can perform. He is just about the most consistent right fielder out there. So I really hope that Ruben Amaro Jr. doesn't get rid of him. But he was the one that got rid of Cliff Lee and brought in Roy Halladay and we all know how that turned out. So I really hope the Phillies can do something about their hitting. They were way too streaky this year. And they are supposed to be a power lineup. And also maybe some help in the bullpen. But I guess I'll have to wait and see what kind of product they throw out there on the field next year and hopefully we will have another contending team.

One more thing. "YankeeJim" you said this.

YankeeJim:
    The Giants are as close to a ragtag bunch as you'll ever see playing inspired ball.

I couldn't agree with you more. To me they feel like the 1993 Philadelphia Phillies. A bunch guys that were thrown together from all over and not too much was expected from them. Now yeah there were probably more people expecting the Giants to do something this year than that 93 Philly team. I just hope the Giants succumb to the same fate that the Phillies did that year.

Oh yeah and one more thing. Since I lost the bet that I had with "MBaggese" I would like to try and honor it. So if anybody could help me out and tell me how to find and then upload the S.F. image it would be greatly appreciated. Gooooo Rangers!!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Oct 25 2010 8:17 AM

LOL (newest Rangers fan).  Google San Francisco Giants logo. Find a suitable one and right click on it. Save it to your computer. Go to your profile and click the Appearance tab in the middle of the page. The rest you've seen before.  :-)

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Mon, Oct 25 2010 9:49 AM

Thank you "YankeeJim". That was actually pretty simple. Hey there "MBaggese". Just to let you know I have upheld my end of the deal. It now sickens me to sign on here and see that god awful logo. But a deal is a deal. Congratulations to you and your San Francisco Giants and even though it pains to me to type this good luck in the World Series. And just to let you know this image will be taken off my profile next Monday which I believe is the 31st of October at 12:43pm. As we agreed to upload the image for 1 week. Enjoy it while it last because it will be replaced by a better team. I'm thinking either the Philadelphia Eagles logo or the Philadelphia Flyers logo. Or hell I may even go with the Phillies logo. Depends on the mood I am in.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Mon, Oct 25 2010 3:25 PM

MBaggese:

Yoda79:

MBaggese:
    Just trying out my new pic!

LOL.....LOL......LOL......LOL......LOL.....LOL.....LOL!! Oh wait I'm sorry. I didn't mean to laugh. Thats my bad.

Funny guy!

Now I think the "perfect" bet between Philly and SF would be...

If SF wins, you use the "SF" logo in your pic for a month.

If Philly wins, I use the Philly logo as my pic for a month.

Let's see how how much faith you have in them boys! :)

I feel for ya Bro, but the memory will last a bit longer.

Tell ya what though, you can pull the logo down two days after the Series is over...lessen some of the pain.

RSS