Help › Forums

Score Average

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jul 25 2014 12:40 AM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Mon, Jun 16 2014 11:41 PM
    So what you really meant was, don't worry as your average will sort itself out after a few rounds? Fair enough but that's not what you said. No worries.
  • ScottHope
    10,357 Posts
    Tue, Jun 17 2014 1:57 AM

Tiering up can be a nice little boost to the ego in this game because when you do so, your average score after your last round in your previous tier, becomes your average score before you play your first round in your new tier.

So, if you are a Tour Pro and after a round your score goes down to say, 66.85, then (provided you have played the required 25 ranked rounds as a Tour Pro) you will tier up to Master (an average of 67 or lower will make you a Master) and your score will still be 66.85.

The point at which your score resets will be after your first ranked round as a Master, so if you get a 39 on a nine hole ranked round, your average will jump up to 78! (2 x 39 = 78, as your average reflects a score for 18 holes). So suddenly going from a 66.85 to a 78 is going to be very disappointing, but that's how it works. Your average score is worked out from the scores in your current tier.

• PTrenter
    437 Posts
    Tue, Jun 17 2014 3:46 AM

I'm currently Legend and my average has been slowly coming down as I've improved.

Now, as I understand things, your average is taken from the minimum number of rounds at current tier needed to reach the next tier.  Legend to TL is minimum of 500 rounds.  That means that while I'm currently under that number(which I am) any score above my average will see that average rise.  Once you reach that minimum number of rounds, your average cannot rise as in my case, it will use the best 500 rounds(which cannot get worse).

This is why the averages are not a true reflection of form or ability but rather a means to an end to stop sandbaggers chucking in a high score to manipulate their average and not tier up.

In terms of promotion to TL, the long and short of it seems to be that you just need 500 rounds under 60(30 for 9 holes).  Easy eh?

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Tue, Jun 17 2014 4:16 AM

PTrenter:

Now, as I understand things, your average is taken from the minimum number of rounds at current tier needed to reach the next tier.  Legend to TL is minimum of 500 rounds.  That means that while I'm currently under that number(which I am) any score above my average will see that average rise.  Once you reach that minimum number of rounds, your average cannot rise as in my case, it will use the best 500 rounds(which cannot get worse).

This is why the averages are not a true reflection of form or ability but rather a means to an end to stop sandbaggers chucking in a high score to manipulate their average and not tier up.

True facts, and I add another consequence of this non-linear equation:

Once a player has played one single round at or below the threshold, it's almost inevitable that he will tier up eventually. It may need a long time, but at some point of time there will be enough of these to make it click.

PTrenter:

In terms of promotion to TL, the long and short of it seems to be that you just need 500 rounds under 60(30 for 9 holes).  Easy eh?

Much easier.

First, the threshold is the full number, 60.000 for TL promotion.

And, it's not 500x 29/59; 500x 30/60 would do the job. And, the chance is big that he'd play a 59 or 29 or even better. Each of these can be paired with the equivalent higher number to form 60. 59 + 61, or 29 + 31. Thus there will be quite a few scores >30 / >60 in the final pool.

I for one have 3x58, 4x60 and more than 3x62 in my freshly saturated average. These are 10 scores that will safely count towards my TL promotion - nice cushion, isn't it? <g>

• PTrenter
    437 Posts
    Tue, Jun 17 2014 4:24 AM

alosso:

Much easier.

First, the threshold is the full number, 60.000 for TL promotion.

And, it's not 500x 29/59; 500x 30/60 would do the job. And, the chance is big that he'd play a 59 or 29 or even better. Each of these can be paired with the equivalent higher number to form 60. 59 + 61, or 29 + 31. Thus there will be quite a few scores >30 / >60 in the final pool.

I for one have 3x58, 4x60 and more than 3x62 in my freshly saturated average. These are 10 scores that will safely count towards my TL promotion - nice cushion, isn't it? <g>

Cheers, that does make sense

• PAGES
RSS