Forums

Help › Forums

The Ocean Course or as i like to call it Gimmicky McGreenerson

rated by 0 users
Thu, Oct 7 2010 8:35 PM (4 replies)
  • McC1ary
    4 Posts
    Mon, Oct 4 2010 8:27 PM

Ok i get it. Its all luck, plus current level to purchase equipment, with a smidgen of skill. But seriously.... just call it the Gimmick Course, or Unputtable Hills Country Club. The "Break" along with the "Level" of the green doesnt add up to what you show. IF the break is so severe that it jerks the ball 10 feet left after you put it... its not a 2" down hill slope. Thats just plain mathmatics. In fact i bet some MIT nerd could precisely tell you what degrees of slope and pitch are wrong with your "Read" that you give us to putt with. Just pay him $5K and get him a date with a cheerleader and he could call it a "Research Project". Listen i know its Beta but do some field testing for god sakes. There ARE places on "Very Fast" greens (im assuming a stemp of about 10-11) that a ball, NO MATTER HOW HIT OR PLACED, will stay. If you don't trust me come out to Kansas City and i will show you. Or for $50K/year plus mediocre insurance I will gladly lend you my services and knowledge.

PS: Did any of you watch the Ryder Cup this weekend? Good. Did you see any pins stuck on the side of a hill? I didnt think so! DONT DO IT IN GAME EITHER!

• TarheelsRule
    5,554 Posts
    Tue, Oct 5 2010 11:12 AM

Maybe it would help if you would tell us which holes you are talking about.  The only place that I have seen on this game that has breaks that are unplayable, even at my green speed which is tournament, one notch faster than the very fast you speak of is on the 15th hole at BethPage which is unfair and on the 12th hole at St Andrews when the pin is on the right.

And I did watch the Ryder Cup, the pin placement on the 15th hole, the driveable par 4 was in a spot on the side of a hill and difficult to putt.

• MJS74
    341 Posts
    Tue, Oct 5 2010 1:26 PM

I agree with Tarheels, but think he maybe referring to 13 at STA, between two major slopes.

I do have some sympathy for the OP though.  At Kiawa, the greens on 2, 4, and 6 are all horrifically sloped. and the area around the pin at 3 is just daftly confusing.  Greens cannot alter that much unless someone has been cycling over them

• TarheelsRule
    5,554 Posts
    Tue, Oct 5 2010 3:36 PM

Well in his title he says the Ocean course.  The only issue at Kiawah, where I have played in real golf many times is that they have placed the pins in about 5 or 6 places where they rarely put pins, #3 is a good example that is a tough place on tournament green speed.

• McC1ary
    4 Posts
    Thu, Oct 7 2010 8:35 PM

Yeah that was a bad day for me. I was talking about Kiawah and last weeks 9 hole single stroke play event. Now that i reread my post i was a bit harsh, but i came off of a -7 on STA 18 holer and was feeling good about myself until i ran into the K. I had a "downhill" putt on i believe the 3rd green, with the break running so fast right to left that I literally putted up hill (backwards) and still blew it by the cup and nearly off the green. Even though im at the "Master" level i still feel like a hack on this game. I just need to spend more time on the courses that I dont play as often. Sorry for the mean post.

RSS