Help › Forums

The VEM Quiz

Wed, Sep 24 2014 11:39 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Fraenkel
    2,252 Posts
    Wed, Sep 24 2014 12:21 AM

Spot on to this one. hope so.

I start this one with hole #12 at Chateux Whistler. Full power, 3/4 spin.

Place here your replay and share it with the community asking for which iron was used and above all, understand what went wrong. All Shots suppose to be hit the ding even if the replay will let understand the air line.

The important thing is give informations provided as the power and the spin.

• sdorr
    650 Posts
    Wed, Sep 24 2014 1:13 AM

Looks perfect for a shot hit with a club meant to travel 100 yards. You did not indicate which club you selected, so, who really knows?

Have a nice day!

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Wed, Sep 24 2014 2:42 AM

Fraenkel:

Place here your replay and share it with the community asking for which iron was used and above all, understand what went wrong. All Shots suppose to be hit the ding even if the replay will let understand the air line.

I'm guessing it was your PW (110 max?) and the shot was uphill with very little wind so any BS would shorten the usual distance. (the ball goes up and not forward as much) and my G25 PW has high loft for I don't need to use much BS as the other clubs.

Plus, I'm guessing also it was the Nike 71 ball w/ 5 distance so the 3/4 BS plus PW with no real tailwind made the ball go FAR ...but FAR UP and not as much forward, thus little roll out if any at all. Then the green topography was not conducive to BS so she rolled back, too.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Sep 24 2014 7:27 AM

Fraenkel:

Looking at my notes for the 12th hole at Whistler, at 113yds the pin was elevated up 18 feet so I'd calculate hitting 119 yards.  Too far for Fraenkel's 115yd PW so I would have choked a 125yd 9I to 95% but with no back spin.

That green is sloped 2 feet back to front and also slopes left to right up by the pin.  My notes say to avoid back spin and aim 2yds left of pin for roll back to the right.  Its a tough shot to get close on Champ greens due to the back to front slope.

Fraenkel said he used full power with 3/4 BS, perhaps planning to land past the hole and bring it back down?  But I don't know that 9I and L71 Nike (currently equipped in his bag) combo.

The shot came up way short and way left of where I would have aimed.  That's an extreme WTF for a dinged shot.  A double whammy so to speak.  In my experience its either distance or direction.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Sep 24 2014 8:23 AM

andyson:
    at 113yds the pin was elevated up 18 feet so I'd calculate hitting 119 yards.  Too far for Fraenkel's 115yd PW

If his PW goes 115 then that shot was woefully underhit. Maybe full top spin would get the ball to climb the slope to the pin using that iron. Otherwise, you have to know that that hole plays long on the approach because of the way the green slopes and back spin is asking for trouble-it's only going to pick up speed going backwards because of that slope.

A similar shot is the 2nd at PH18 where elevation and green slope play a big part.

• Fraenkel
    2,252 Posts
    Wed, Sep 24 2014 8:45 AM

Love the way it going this trivia.

Well guys, Andy got it. I used a 9i with a carry about 125yds, a Nike L71 should gave me 3/4yds more. We got a f/w, useless but with 3/4 spin I was pretty sure to land at 5 or 6 yds on the left side.

First bounce at 110yds so how could be possible lose approx 15yds straight. Don't really cares but "wow", that's tough. it's going to be one of my worst week on WGT since the last year and that's shame on me, still work hard for play hard.

Anyone with a good and mystery replay.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Wed, Sep 24 2014 9:34 AM

lvl 83 G-25 PW 110yds

If it's 18ft up w/ a very slight helping wind(1 mph) I play it at 116 yds instead of 119

With a slightly stronger wind I play a full t/s PW, with that wind  3/4 b/s 9(I think 9 is 120)...

looked to me like the shot was way to far left to begin with, probably hit too early and lost distance...I have only played that hole 2-3 times so I'm using general assumption based on how other holes play.

• Fraenkel
    2,252 Posts
    Wed, Sep 24 2014 10:20 AM

Here another fresh one.

Which iron I did use and what goes wrong if I had a full stranght shot, 4/5 spin at hole #12 (damn turn) Bethpage Black. Shot was miss the ding for an inch right just for compensate the low (false) wind but, how did it go so far from the pin.

The problem is not the VEM but which avatar you choose to use for play.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Wed, Sep 24 2014 10:35 AM

fatdan:

lvl 83 G-25 PW 110yds

That's the number I thought goes w/ the lvl 83 G-25 PW. According to fmagnets,  (generally - I can't speak for him but this is what I understood) any added distance coming from the balls rating will be reduced if BS is applied (say in zero wind) and w/ the short irons esp. because of the high loft and spin. He said you notice the major difference in added distance off the 3W and drivers because they don't involve much spin or loft like the PW and 9i would.

So, on those irons if I want to take advantage of a Nike 61 or 42 etc. ball's added distance rating on an approach I would actually move the spin dot more forward. But it it all depends on circumstance. But I'm guessing, I'm new, and still learning.

Like FD I've only played that hole maybe 4 times and I come up short so I give it a nice whack. Nice one, Andyson. 

edit

Fraenkel:

Which iron I did use and what goes wrong if I had a full stranght shot, 4/5 spin at hole #12(damn turn) Bethpage Black. Shot was miss the ding for an inch right just for compensate the low (false) wind but, how did it go so far from the pin. 

My notes on that hole suggest 'watch out for meter slices' and an 'approach parallax' which may mean the cameras may be slightly skewed so I have to determine the wind direction by looking closely. 

But I'm guessing w/ 3 forgiveness of the G25s plus the significant spin on the ball and an intentional miss ding caused a big deviation.

I guess I would use one of two methods, a) use no spin or TS and force the ball thru the apron, or more likely, do what you did and B)  use BS and hit farther yardage. But aim and attempt a solid ding (attempt) rather than use a miss ding w/ my G25 L59 because of their forgiveness.

Since VEM ' Virtual equipment automatically adapts to reflect changes in user skill level and keep users challenged as their skill level improves' it knows you are good at sinking putts of longer distance so the deviation of the intentional miss ding may be significant to afford you one challenging putt. But I'm just guessing...and I didn't answer the query. LOL

edit:

YankeeJim:

Given the responses here and the fact that the shot was mishit, how does VEM factor in?

But how does VEM factor in may be subject to individual interpretation, so I would read the several pages of the VEM programming, then reference or quote any applicable data. A lot of VEM discussions result in high speculation rather than if the players first read the VEM programming data. (several pages) and quote it directly. 

I'm not sure I get what you're asking from me, but I agreed it was a mishit, I didn't mention VEM in either of its 2 different meanings, nor did I suggest it was a 'WTF' either.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Sep 24 2014 10:51 AM

JFidanza:
    But I'm guessing, I'm new, and still learning.

Given the responses here and the fact that the shot was mishit, how does VEM factor in?

• PAGES
RSS