The VEM Quiz

Wed, Sep 24 2014 11:39 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Wed, Sep 24 2014 1:07 PM

Fraenkel:

Spot on to this one. hope so.

I start this one with hole #12 at Chateux Whistler. Full power, 3/4 spin.

understand what went wrong. 

Plus, using BS on a ball to a pin that is higher in elevation has a few considerations - since the ball lands on the green sooner then compared to the same shot on a level approach, it could be seen that the forward inertia is somewhat lessened, no? [and notably less then compared to the same shot to an approach to a green at a lower elevation, I believe] The results are exasperated when the green cants back-to-front.

Then, a slight factor may exist - if WGT has it programmed that the balls spin is at its greatest force when off the club and decreases the longer the ball is in the air, meaning that a landing to a green of higher elevation would have slightly more spin force than if the same shot was hit to a lower elevation.

Good question for WGT:  Does the balls spin naturally decrease with time?

Fraenkel:

Which iron I did use and what goes wrong if I had a full stranght shot, 4/5 spin at hole #12(damn turn) Bethpage Black. Shot was miss the ding for an inch right just for compensate the low (false) wind but, how did it go so far from the pin. 

JFidanza:

But I'm guessing w/ 3 forgiveness of the G25s plus the significant spin on the ball and an intentional miss ding caused a big deviation.

Since VEM ' Virtual equipment automatically adapts to reflect changes in user skill level and keep users challenged as their skill level improves'

it knows you are good at sinking putts of longer distance so the deviation of the intentional miss ding may be significant to afford you one challenging putt. 

ApexPC:

As we move up in tier we are accorded less forgiveness on mis-hits

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/260566/1877762.aspx#1877762

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Sep 24 2014 2:24 PM

Fraenkel:
    Which iron I did use and what goes wrong if I had a full stranght shot, 4/5 spin at hole #12 (damn turn) Bethpage Black. Shot was miss the ding for an inch right just for compensate the low (false) wind but, how did it go so far from the pin.

No VEM on that shot.  Within the range of normal deviation give you missed the ding to the right.

Fraenkel:
    The problem is not the VEM but which avatar you choose to use for play.

Interesting. ;)  JF? Any thoughts?

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Wed, Sep 24 2014 2:57 PM

andyson:

Fraenkel:
    The problem is not the VEM but which avatar you choose to use for play.

Interesting. ;)  JF? Any thoughts?

I made a joke about that recently, and the saying goes, 'When you look good you feel good' so there may be a mental aspect to it. But it would be difficult to determine if that matters, even though people have given testimonies in the proshop in the avatar section, that might just be shills or just facetious remarks that just happen to be approved for display.

I'm actually Caucasian (as I've shown HERE ) but sometimes I'll switch it up just for fun. Who is that great player, with earnings of almost 20,000 cr,  that sometimes uses a female avatar? That's an interesting approach!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Sep 24 2014 3:45 PM

JFidanza:
    I'm not sure I get what you're asking from me, but I agreed it was a mishit, I didn't mention VEM in either of its 2 different meanings, nor did I suggest it was a 'WTF' either.

I'm not asking anything of you, you titled the thread. The subtle point was that the typical interpretation of VEM and what it does has no bearing on the shots being presented here. It typifies the widespread misunderstanding of that feature and how it's used.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Wed, Sep 24 2014 4:04 PM

YankeeJim:

JFidanza:
    I'm not sure I get what you're asking from me, but I agreed it was a mishit, I didn't mention VEM in either of its 2 different meanings, nor did I suggest it was a 'WTF' either.

I'm not asking anything of you, you titled the thread. The subtle point was that the typical interpretation of VEM and what it does has no bearing on the shots being presented here. It typifies the widespread misunderstanding of that feature and how it's used.

I could be misreading it, but I'm sorry Jim, I thought David started the thread, and thus, titled it. But, still, point taken.

Regardless, I am one of the advocates in the pro-vem thread* so whether for good or ill, I am for it, and vem is on my contact list!  

The 2nd shot David mentions was a mis-ding but by exactly how much I haven't determined by his description so I was just speculating, but I have the lower level G25s (59) and I find them best when you get ding or very near, which is easy because the meter rating on the irons alone is 4.

cheers!

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/175095.aspx

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Sep 24 2014 4:46 PM

JFidanza:
    I could be misreading it, but I'm sorry Jim, I thought David started the thread, and thus, titled it

My bad, got you guys mixed up. And that thread is full of what I'm pointing out here, too.  :-)

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Wed, Sep 24 2014 6:09 PM

YankeeJim:

. And that thread is full of what I'm pointing out here, too.  :-)

Yea, it is, and I confess I was/still confused on the whole thing. But I'll be one to admit a lot of my bad golfing was seemingly 'forgiven' by vem, if you will, incl. my recent HIO which was a wild shot, ND.

I hardly play CW but I played F9 yesterday and just now B9 and although my average was 11.5 feet to pin, I missed every Bird, Eagle op. and got one Bog. so I have lots to sort out on that lovely course.

CW #12. Nike 97 ( 9i, 135 max, @88% approx ) Nike 61 ball, slight mis-ding 'slice' & 1/3 TS , I believe.

http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=04e7c214-1bbf-4732-902f-a3b100073458

Damon Hack would have done better. LOL!

edit: yes, and David, I took love the my G25s, although I have the lower L59 they have the high trajectory, yet that can work against me if I don't watch out. But the slow meter of 4 is great for messing around on Twitch when I stream w/ XSplit broadcaster. With the high traj. I can still have some stopping power using a cheaper ball while broadcasting and just having fun.

edit:

Damon Hack is my better avatar I guess!

cabo 12 approach

http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=a8d92f48-75c1-4a12-8b81-a3b40147ca20

• Fraenkel
    2,252 Posts
    Wed, Sep 24 2014 11:15 PM

Andy thank you and also thanks Jim, both of you two indeed.

JFidanza:

YankeeJim:

. And that thread is full of what I'm pointing out here, too.  :-)

But I'll be one to admit a lot of my bad golfing was seemingly 'forgiven' by vem.

That's the reason because I choose to open this thread. Is it really all my faults.

• Fraenkel
    2,252 Posts
    Wed, Sep 24 2014 11:39 PM

The second shot was hit with a 4i with a carry about 200yds. I really know what mean VEM and what should go wrong if I miss the ding voluntarily or involuntarily. In this case I feel that's this shot was affected by VEM just because, over and try to compensate for an effect right-to-left, I moved the aim arrow a few yards right to the pin (1 or 2) and that's because this side of the green has a slope obliquely exactly from the wind side, but still marginally effective but not so heavy.

I mean, had to putt about 8yds slope side to down green wasn't what I thought before approach and what I think is that if I had not compensated the aim arrow shot probably would have been better, VEM comes into play when I missding.

Maybe I'm twisted, that's why I opened this thread. In my opinion both shots was soiled by VEM but I appreciate if someone could correct me to understand, to this day, and after 3 years I still have not yet a right idea to how play good this game.

• PAGES
RSS