Forums

Help › Forums

Estimation vs Maths...am I the only one?

rated by 0 users
Wed, Oct 29 2014 7:13 AM (26 replies)
  • LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Tue, Oct 28 2014 4:33 AM

I have been looking for a better word than "estimation" although I think it is the best to describe my point.

When I play WGT I do not have;

• tape on my screen
    • use of calculators 
    • Putter pal on
    • Shot pal on
    • Notebook
    • use of the avatar movements to calculate the hit distance
    • etc
    • ....nothing to help me to "estimate" my shot than my sense of estimation

I am sure I am not the only one who do not use any math help to play WGT. Once I read of a female player, TheAceFactor I think, the same about playing WGT only by estimation and no maths.

....isn't this the spirit of playing "golf" even tho it is only a game?.

You only estimate when hitting the ball in REAL GOLF. Pros are just damn good at it and that is why they are Pros. Shouldn't we do the same in this game?

You may think this is crazy.....but it is a GREAT JOY for me to land a ball close to the pin or get a long putt in ONLY by estimating the several factors involved; iron properties, length, green speed, altitude, wind & grid in putts.

Eric

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Tue, Oct 28 2014 7:22 AM
    The female in question could have been me. I stated a while back thay I use no aids. Guesstimate would be my word. I'd probably be a better player if I used all of the aids but it would be more like work than fun.
  • PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Oct 28 2014 7:35 AM

LOLserver:
    ONLY by estimating the several factors involved; iron properties, length, green speed, altitude, wind & grid in putts.

So, you do the maths in your head, most folk do.

• tuckeybaby
    4 Posts
    Tue, Oct 28 2014 8:37 AM

I completely agree, well said.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Oct 28 2014 9:01 AM

courteneyfish:
    Guesstimate would be my word. I'd probably be a better player if I used all of the aids but it would be more like work than fun.

Or perhaps the "Thrill Factor". I have always used a piece of lined notebook paper. No math is involved...just go to that line or stop short of this line or a pixel past that one. I'm much too lazy for anything else. ;-}

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Oct 28 2014 9:18 AM

LOLserver:
    I am sure I am not the only one who do not use any math help to play WGT

Not even close, Eric. I think you'd be surprised at how many "feel" golfers there are. Once you get to know your equipment it becomes effortless. There's a lot to be said for instincts. :-)

• filmslayer
    2,340 Posts
    Tue, Oct 28 2014 9:27 AM

YankeeJim:

LOLserver:
    I am sure I am not the only one who do not use any math help to play WGT

Not even close, Eric. I think you'd be surprised at how many "feel" golfers there are. Once you get to know your equipment it becomes effortless. There's a lot to be said for instincts. :-)

yup .... i have never used a calculator or took a single note ... like miss fish said i might be a better player if i did but it would the fun outta it ...

• josephk2317
    873 Posts
    Tue, Oct 28 2014 9:27 AM

Same here, just do simple adding & subtracting for elevation on the greens. It feels more realistic like this. I don't even use putter pal since I know how much to pull the meter back on most of my putts. Maybe that's why my putting percentage is just under 2.00 lol ....:)  I like the simplicity of playing like I'm on a the course myself. And besides, I don't think they have a ruler that large for real playing...lol

• scaredcrow
    24 Posts
    Tue, Oct 28 2014 10:07 AM

A little bit that way, 5ft up, give it full whack with back spin and it if bites I'm good.......

so sayeth my brain

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Oct 28 2014 10:20 AM

filmslayer:
    yup .... i have never used a calculator or took a single note

Of course there are many that do, and I think it is great...and for some it yields treasure. But the posting crowd here, now, seem to be on and from the other side of the tracks...with intention to stay.

RSS