Forums

Help › Forums

Estimation vs Maths...am I the only one?

rated by 0 users
Wed, Oct 29 2014 7:13 AM (26 replies)
  • LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Wed, Oct 29 2014 3:31 AM

I have been watching lately Icon playing several top players with Twitch, to find out more things concerning the issue, estimation vs maths.

Just to mention quick. Icon plays the drives & approaches like the most of us I believe, moving the aim and estimating the hit power, but when it comes to putting...the putter pal is there and he masters it in great style! & with miss-dinging the shot.

In comparison, mags, using a calculator on every approach (I think) and I suppose in the putts too. I can imagine mags uses the avatar movements to accurately calculate the putter power/distance....like the 99% of the good/top players do.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against any of them, it is the way they play & that is why they are the best in WGT :-), very valid tho very mathematical in my opinion.

Eric

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Wed, Oct 29 2014 3:42 AM

LOLserver:
    You may think this is crazy.....but it is a GREAT JOY for me to land a ball close to the pin or get a long putt in

Not Crazy at all Eric.

The only thing I use is the Avartar Movements on the Green to judge distance for putts.  The rest is simple maths...   150yrds to pin + 5 up = 155yrds. Then the Hit ball.  Not forgetting the wind, etc

-Roger

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Oct 29 2014 5:05 AM

LOLserver:
    In comparison, mags, using a calculator on every approach (I think)

A 35 year old pocket  calculator, no less. LOL. He pointed that out in one of the matches. :-)

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Oct 29 2014 6:41 AM

Roughly speaking, with about 65,000 putts, I must have about 120,000+ swings. It makes me wonder...if all of them had employed the "Putter Pal" & "Shot Pal", in concert with "Kat's Calculator", how much better would the results be ? Any thoughts ?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Oct 29 2014 6:46 AM

SweetiePie:
    Any thoughts ?

Your father would be horrified. He didn't raise a gamer, he raised a golfer.  ;-)

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Wed, Oct 29 2014 6:54 AM

SweetiePie:

Roughly speaking, with about 65,000 putts, I must have about 120,000+ swings. It makes me wonder...if all of them had employed the "Putter Pal" & "Shot Pal", in concert with "Kat's Calculator", how much better would the results be ? Any thoughts ?

If Kats calculator is working for you , and you tweaked it to your equipment, well yeah they would have to be better. Guesstimating has always baffled me. I know people  do it , and they must have lady luck on their shoulders.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Oct 29 2014 7:13 AM

YankeeJim:

SweetiePie:
    Any thoughts ?

Your father would be horrified. He didn't raise a gamer, he raised a golfer.  ;-)

Thanks for straightening me out Jim, 'cause by-golly you are right ! 

He would be horrified ;-}

RSS