Forums

Help › Forums

World Match Play Cup 2011

Tue, Feb 1 2011 5:43 PM (246 replies)
  • Angeltotti20
    296 Posts
    Mon, Dec 27 2010 8:40 AM

Congratulations to the winners!

Last day to post third round scores is monday 3rd at 1pm east time. It's played on Kiawah Island from the champion tees, with standard greens and low wind.

Good luck everyone!

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Tue, Dec 28 2010 9:47 AM

Les and I played rd 3, and what a display of deviations it was.  Les played very well, but must have had 4 lip outs on the back 9 that were just head scratchers, I had 3 putts inside 5ft that I missed as well that I thought should have been right in the heart.  Tee to green we both played well, but the putting mystified us both.  I feel bad for Les, since he probably should have won 4 up.  Had fun though, nice to play with him finally, neildiamond wins 1 UP. 

[View:http://wgt.com/themes/wgt/utility/:450:0]

[View:http://wgt.com/themes/wgt/utility/:450:0]

• geordieles
    516 Posts
    Tue, Dec 28 2010 10:08 AM

No need to feel bad Todd we have both been on wgt long enough to know somedays the game throws you a curve ball and she certainly threw a few at both of us today, ive never seen so many short putts miss or lip out as we both did today,such is golf.

It was a pleasure meeting and playing you Todd good luck in the rest of the tourney.

Cheers

Les

• carlos415
    62 Posts
    Wed, Dec 29 2010 4:30 PM

I just played my 3rd round match with Vic, an outstanding player who brought out the best of me and for whom I respect a lot. Here's our scorecard with me winning on the last hole.

• coolswing
    1,017 Posts
    Wed, Dec 29 2010 9:32 PM

Thank you Carlos for a great match of very high quality golf and excellent sportsmanship.  

He started of by making birdies on the first 7 holes to lead by 3 up and I had to work real hard to real him back to 1 up by birdie the 8th & 9th hole.  On to the back 9 and once again he matched me birdies with birdies all the way until i managed to real back to AS through a bird on 17th hole ( this is the makeshift scorecard after i got disconnected midway thru the back 9).  Alas i miss judged the approach shot on 18th to leave it long on the back fringe, whereas Carlos nailed it to less than a yard ! My putt just slid by the edge and the game was over and i must say that Carlos was well and truly a deserved winner of our match.

Even though i was a little disappointed to lose the match It was a very enjoyable experience and I think Carlos will be a tough player to beat in this half of the draw and i wish him all the best for the remaining of the tourney.

Also thanks to Angel for all his time and effort in organizing such a super tourney, well done buddy and I look forward to your next venture ! 

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2010 9:10 AM

Rd 1 of best of 3 for villa and myself.

First time having the pleasure to play with villa, and well not surprised by the result, he wins 4&3.  I think he missed 1 putt that we both read wrong from like the same spot.      -11 though 14 holes I believe he finished.  Some Highlights:

• Approach by me on 2nd hole at STA to 6ft, new pin spot, 27mph into wind, I win hole go 1 up (that will be my last sole highlight, I could have another but it goes to villa, you will see)
    • Chip in on 4 by Villa like he was tapping the putt in, front pin, just short of the green.  Villa now 1 up after taking last 2 holes
    • 5th, Villa from another country to front pin, putt just rolls by the edge of the pin leaving like 2ft.  I have missed 5ft putts by a larger margin.  Just insane line and speed he played.  we halved that hole
    • To 9, Villa drive to center of the green, I drive to 13ft, thinking I have a shot to take hole and gain something back, wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Villa from no mans land jars it like he was putting from 3ft.  I halve with eagle, with eagle!!!!!!!!
    • Villa I believe was -11 through 14holes

I had some chances to keep it close, 12ft on 13 (shot of my life from 182yds out) but like every other putt today just rolled it right over the edge of the lip missing.  Was just not getting approached to that comfortable range, and I wrongsided many holes.  Had a few meter glitches, but didnt affect the outcome.

Pleasure playing Villa for first time ever, looking forward to my next lesson in Rd2 of best of 3.

• villadeoro
    419 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2010 9:13 AM

My first game with Neil was a good game for me with putter. I played consistent and dont let too more changes to Neil to beat. He played well but his puts didnt want to be in today. Bad luck my friend.

We will see in next game in Oakmont

Villa

• Angeltotti20
    296 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2010 3:26 PM

Hey villa and neil!

I don't mind if you play your quarterrfinal's matches, but could you please wait until next monday to post results? I haven't got a lot of free time these days and that would really help me keep things under control :)

Thanks!

• flocke2308
    161 Posts
    Fri, Dec 31 2010 6:59 AM

Here is the result of the match between Priestess and me. A very close match went to the 18th green where i was lucky to bring the match home. Thanks Amanda for a nice match.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Fri, Dec 31 2010 7:21 AM

Will do Angel.  Ignore that one and I will repost on Monday.

RSS