Forums

Help › Forums

did i ever mention this GAME is still crap, ...and to some of the self proclaimed geniuses, %^@_%

Wed, Jan 5 2011 10:24 AM (247 replies)
  • BriRock
    148 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2010 8:10 AM

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/commas.htm

Use a comma to separate the elements in a series (three or more things), including the last two. "He hit the ball, dropped the bat, and ran to first base." You may have learned that the comma before the "and" is unnecessary, which is fine if you're in control of things. However, there are situations in which, if you don't use this comma (especially when the list is complex or lengthy), these last two items in the list will try to glom together (like macaroni and cheese). Using a comma between all the items in a series, including the last two, avoids this problem. This last comma—the one between the word "and" and the preceding word—is often called the serial comma or the Oxford comma. In newspaper writing, incidentally, you will seldom find a serial comma, but that is not necessarily a sign that it should be omitted in academic prose.

**edit** Not trying to get into a pissing match, but i do a lot of typing including lists for contracts and would love to know if i've been doing it wrong this whole time.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2010 9:11 AM

Heh-what do I know. I always thought a comma was a pause and learned old school style how to use it. You know, back in the days of the ruler across the back of the hand when you got it wrong. 

Umm, you suppose we need a life or something here bud? I mean, we're actually discussing commas!!  LMAO. What was that about the glue?  :-D

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2010 9:30 AM

You do Bri in most instances.

• GaryKoop
    149 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2010 9:33 AM

Hang on, this thread has turned into an English lesson! Lets get back to the BS/Game etc....

Is my grammar OK?  ;)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2010 9:39 AM

GaryKoop:
    Is my grammar OK?

My grammar died a long time ago. She was old.  :-P

• x1524807
    776 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2010 11:05 AM

BriRock:
    hought conveyance methods and sentence structure.  I'm just saying if you're going to make a statement like that, at least have the common sense to proofread what you write.

why is there someone like you in every crowd

If you would like to know, you do not start a sentence with AND

And those are just minor grammatical errors,

TAKE YOUR ENGLISH COURSE TO ANOTHER FORUM, NOT NEEDED HERE. SOME OF US EXPRESS OURSELVES DIFFERENTLY, BUT DOES NOT TAKE AWAY FROM THE CONTENT

• mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2010 11:15 AM

x1524807:
    TAKE YOUR ENGLISH COURSE TO ANOTHER FORUM, NOT NEEDED HERE. SOME OF US EXPRESS OURSELVES DIFFERENTLY, BUT DOES NOT TAKE AWAY FROM THE CONTENT

CAPS LOCK, BOLD, UNDERLINED AND ITALICISED FOR GOOD MEASURE ... lol you can never have too much emphasis can you...

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2010 11:31 AM

why is it for every won like Bri, there is 1.0 like X: i'm mean cant we, AlL just git alon!

• x1524807
    776 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2010 11:34 AM

mohuyu:
    CAPS LOCK, BOLD, UNDERLINED AND ITALICISED FOR GOOD MEASURE ... lol you can never have to much emphasis can you...

When you speak to idiots you must get down to their level, and their IQ level requires that you shout and be emphatic. 

On another note, we have game?

• x1524807
    776 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2010 11:37 AM

neildiamond11790:
    why is it for every won like Bri, there is 1.0 like X: i'm mean cant we, AlL just git alon!

Careful, the English teacher is right behind you. if we had more like x, we would have less like you, which would make this a wonderful world, don't you think.

What upsets me is I love the real Neil, and I have to write such nasty things to his namesake. I am sure the real Neil understands, and is probably saying, GO GET HIM GIRL

RSS