Forums

Help › Forums

Moving to Next Level Up ???

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jan 29 2016 6:03 AM (20 replies)
  • Firstmrmax
    824 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2016 5:52 PM

Hi guys, my first post here but have been playing for a couple months now.

It's a fun game but  now that I've moved up to "Pro" I don't see any advantage. I Ting off farther back with my 220 yard driver Not all but most of players I play against are spanking the ball 280 or 300 yards. So it seems to me that moving up to Pro has just challenged me more or just made it harder for me to compete. I love the free rental clubs but they just spoil me and then they take em away in an hour or so.

Do they just move players up to make it hard for them and make it necessary to buy expensive clubs and balls?  I did buy the starter + set and a 400 credit putter but my driver still only hits 220 yards. The putter is OK , better maybe when I get used to the 25 scale instead iof the 30, but it was expensive.

Do you have to move up at any time they decide or can I just stay at the "Pro" level?

What is the advantage to moving up to Master , Legend, Champion etc?

• WGTChampion
    1,891 Posts
    Wed, Jan 20 2016 11:12 AM

Hi Firstmrmax, all the of the tier changes are automated when you meet certain criteria this is why you were pushed into the Pro tier in the first place. Unfortunately you will not be able to keep yourself from making it to other tiers either. 

The tier change is to keep the game from getting stale and to continuously challenge the player so when you master the Pro tier you'll move on to Tour Pro which will add increased difficulty. 

There is still no need to purchase better items if you do not wish to do so as there are plenty of high-tier players who are still using starter items. Of course if you do want better equipment but do not wish to pay out of pocket you can head into the Earn Free Credits section of the website. All of this is completely up to you. 

_CHAMPION

• alosso
    21,054 Posts
    Wed, Jan 20 2016 12:41 PM

Firstmrmax:
    Do you have to move up at any time they decide or can I just stay at the "Pro" level?

It depends on your scores, and it's difficult to avoid.

Firstmrmax:
    Do they just move players up to make it hard for them and make it necessary to buy expensive clubs and balls?

Short answer: Yes. This is due to capitalism, you know.

Firstmrmax:
    What is the advantage to moving up to Master , Legend, Champion etc?

Read this thread.

• Firstmrmax
    824 Posts
    Wed, Jan 20 2016 2:01 PM

Thanks guys, I'll just have to get used  having  "The Shortest Drive". I should'nt  take those free rental Drivers and 3 Woods, they just spoil me and take em away in an hour whether I use them or not. Then I have to go back to my putt putt Driver , may as well just laugh and enjoy it like having to give handicap in bowling or golf.

Do you guys have a suggestion on which driver or 3 wood is the "Best Bang for the buck or Best Bang for the Credit" ?

• alosso
    21,054 Posts
    Wed, Jan 20 2016 2:59 PM

Concerning Best Bang, any 3WD available to you may be better than the Starter driver. It's a good budget buy because Drivers cost 3x the price, and you'll have to change equipment anyway while progressing. The R11 @L30 is a long time recommendation, the R15 (L41) has more bang, alas more bucks. You might want to add one or two short wedges, too.

Plenty of threads available to that subject, or continue with more specific questions.

• Firstmrmax
    824 Posts
    Wed, Jan 20 2016 4:26 PM

alosso:

Concerning Best Bang, any 3WD available to you may be better than the Starter driver. It's a good budget buy because Drivers cost 3x the price, and you'll have to change equipment anyway while progressing. The R11 @L30 is a long time recommendation, the R15 (L41) has more bang, alas more bucks.

"Do I have change equipment while progressing" ? or is that optional?  I'm not good at surveys and when I think I watch a video I don't get my points for it anyway.  I did buy an oil change and got 400 credits but generally I pay a penny per credit  and it can add up with the price of Drivers.  I don't know how some do it with great clubs, a fancy bag etc. I wonder if they'll start selling Yamaha gas golf carts next lol

• alosso
    21,054 Posts
    Wed, Jan 20 2016 9:59 PM

Of course, buying is optional.

But, once you start to better your equipment, it's almost inevitable to advance in tiers, and, for most, the free fun with Starters stops at Master tier, stepping back to the second-longest tees. To come close to contention, you'd have to buy decent clubs there, e.g. the full set of G25 (L59).

The other path is to idle along without buying, revert to Starter balls, and enjoy the views (plenty of splendid ones around). This may become annoying though.

Sporting some ambition, you'd have to spend a whole lotta time in the "free credits" dept., suffer a lot of "being scammed" feelings, or spend some bucks for your leisure. It's not too expensive, say 10-20 $ per month for a modest player, with one or two phases of 50-100 $ when upgrading equipment. A night in town with your sweetie may be more expensive...

Seriously, some investment will be necessary if you want some fun, since, in the FTP business, also PTW is included!

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Thu, Jan 21 2016 12:45 AM

WGTChampion:
    Unfortunately you will not be able to keep yourself from making it to other tiers either. 

Tho you can.... ;-)

OP:as Alo says.. Get a 3w to double up as a driver, couple of inexpensive Gorge wedges and your set for a lifetime of Alternate shot games..without ever tiering up.

The downside is the standard down there can be dire and will bore you to death after a while....And, the golfing etiquette in the lower tiers is sadly lacking, disconnects, poor sportsmanship etc.

I see you like Matchplay...don't beat anyone in a higher tier or that will move you up too.  

Andy

• alosso
    21,054 Posts
    Thu, Jan 21 2016 1:01 AM

Totally agree, Andy, except for the Gorge wedges. They used to be a great proposal for beginners, but ever since Ping shows no more real 64° wedges, there is no 50/60 yds wedge available here => it has become a useless set IMHO.

ATV, Cleveland, perhaps MAX, that's the (more expensive) way to go!

RSS