New: Nike Vapor Fly Irons

Sun, Jul 17 2016 9:24 AM (32 replies)
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Mar 4 2016 1:15 PM

hpurey:

SweetiePie:
    But My new Mizuno's won

How you doing Lily?   Nice to see you in the forums.

What Mizuno's did you go with?   Last season I went to Pings after being a long time Callaway guy.  Was stuck between Mizuno and Ping before making that switch but the deal I got on the Pings made the decision for me.   Never really was a Nike gear fan in real life, but I'm stuck on this bit about playing the same stuff on WGT as IRL.  LOL 

Well, it is always a treat to read comments of genuine concern. As of yet I've not heard the word "terminal" from any of my 5 Doctors nor the words that predict length of life. I take about 25 pills per day, and have some "killer" pain pills that really help I suffer zero depression while I maintain a happy, positive stance that is real, not from some phony, forced posture. I am a happy girl indeed. The only detractors is a great loss of weight from about 115 lbs down to 85-90 lbs. I tire easily and my overall strength is quite different, things that come with the program. None of my clothes fit, so I tossed them to Goodwill. All the new stuff fits perfect and provide a look of more weight in the right places ;-}  

Back to golf...the break has been unpleasant. Being used to playing 3-5 times a week to not playing at all is an adjustment. I tried ti play 3 holes a few weeks ago, with a cart, and grew very, very tired, very weak. I hit one drive, nutted it and instead of 240-250, it went about 175 nutted. No concentration at all. SO, to stop my blabbering and answer the Mizuno question. I got in touch with them, and arranged a fitting session, They sent me a fitting rep and I went with the Mizuno M-5. 3 degrees flat, DG S-100 shafts and some snazzy lookin' Winn grips 1/32'' under-size. This was in late Oct, then I got sick so my new irons are still virgin except for some pitch and punch shots on my property that I shall call "exercise" I love the look of the heads at address...tiny. thin top line, nice, perfectly square alignment, perfect flat to ground sole. My simple needs. But if I gain no weight or more strength, I will most likely have to consider a shaft change. So, M-5

~ Lily ~ 

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Fri, Mar 4 2016 3:11 PM

SweetiePie:

hpurey:

SweetiePie:
    But My new Mizuno's won

How you doing Lily?   Nice to see you in the forums.

What Mizuno's did you go with?   Last season I went to Pings after being a long time Callaway guy.  Was stuck between Mizuno and Ping before making that switch but the deal I got on the Pings made the decision for me.   Never really was a Nike gear fan in real life, but I'm stuck on this bit about playing the same stuff on WGT as IRL.  LOL 

Well, it is always a treat to read comments of genuine concern. As of yet I've not heard the word "terminal" from any of my 5 Doctors nor the words that predict length of life. I take about 25 pills per day, and have some "killer" pain pills that really help I suffer zero depression while I maintain a happy, positive stance that is real, not from some phony, forced posture. I am a happy girl indeed. The only detractors is a great loss of weight from about 115 lbs down to 85-90 lbs. I tire easily and my overall strength is quite different, things that come with the program. None of my clothes fit, so I tossed them to Goodwill. All the new stuff fits perfect and provide a look of more weight in the right places ;-}  

Back to golf...the break has been unpleasant. Being used to playing 3-5 times a week to not playing at all is an adjustment. I tried ti play 3 holes a few weeks ago, with a cart, and grew very, very tired, very weak. I hit one drive, nutted it and instead of 240-250, it went about 175 nutted. No concentration at all. SO, to stop my blabbering and answer the Mizuno question. I got in touch with them, and arranged a fitting session, They sent me a fitting rep and I went with the Mizuno M-5. 3 degrees flat, DG S-100 shafts and some snazzy lookin' Winn grips 1/32'' under-size. This was in late Oct, then I got sick so my new irons are still virgin except for some pitch and punch shots on my property that I shall call "exercise" I love the look of the heads at address...tiny. thin top line, nice, perfectly square alignment, perfect flat to ground sole. My simple needs. But if I gain no weight or more strength, I will most likely have to consider a shaft change. So, M-5

~ Lily ~ 

Why toss?  You can easily grow back into them...or maybe even a little more.  Big Daddy Mike likes his ladies a little curvy.

Keep fightin', babe.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Fri, Mar 4 2016 4:25 PM

SweetiePie:
    I went with the Mizuno M-5.

MP-5 I'm guessing you meant to say.   They some sexy irons.  :)

MP5_P9 Copy 2

• josephk2317
    873 Posts
    Fri, Mar 4 2016 4:31 PM

SweetiePie, 

I hope you are feeling better real soon. And that we'll both be able to share our golf related stories about playing with our new clubs. 

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, Mar 5 2016 1:51 PM

hpurey:

SweetiePie:
    I went with the Mizuno M-5.

MP-5 I'm guessing you meant to say.   They some sexy irons.  :)

MP5_P9 Copy 2

Thanks Big Mike S. I've been dying   wondering to know how your fit is in Dallas. Lots of truly pretty gals that attract to your macho charm...I felt it was to be a natural, tailored fit for you. And wondered if you have been able to squeeze a way in to Preston Trail.

And Joseph, thanks for the lovely prayer. The are power-filled and work gallantly for me...it is a fact.

And Hazen you must be right, that PW looks like the one I have. Perhaps the MP means Minzuno Pro. But as for now, the new PW will have to show me quite a bit...it must be able to perform toe to toe against my old M-29 PW...it is much to ask. But over-all, the irons are beautiful to look at, to take a stance with and search for flaws in design or in careless grinding , thrilled to find none, instead seeing a mysterious look that expresses a positive, friendly efficacy just sitting right there. I've seen it before but it is rare. 

As I have mentioned before, my Father is indeed a serious, known collector. It is always a special event to go to his storage garage and spend several hours in serious admiration and to receive an interesting lecture or laid-back seminar is beyond educational.He has some Wilson Staff custom iron sets that point to different, yet still, ideas of perfection as they deal with personal grinds. This feature was going on in the  middle 80's. Of the sets he has, I remember the Andy Bean, the Tom Kite, the Hale Irwin, A few others I don't name recall, but one I shall never forget. It is a Wilson Staff, circa 1976 and it was the Ken Venturi grind in stunning double chrome and with stamping of the actual Venturi autograph. This set is very rare, and the best looking irons I've ever seen, bar none. I have my eye on them, but Pappy is not even sniffing. He just enjoys my elaborate failures to get hold of them. They are why I use Mizuno.

~ Lily ~ 

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Sun, Mar 6 2016 7:07 AM

SweetiePie:
    Thanks Big Mike S. I've been dying   wondering to know how your fit is in Dallas. Lots of truly pretty gals that attract to your macho charm...I felt it was to be a natural, tailored fit for you. And wondered if you have been able to squeeze a way in to Preston Trail.

Nope.  I'm still getting acclimated and talking to one woman out here, but it's more of a friend thing.

I'm not aware of Preston Trail.  I'm working on getting a round at Hackberry Creek.

You're still my flavor, Lily - don't you forget that.  Work takes a bit of my time.  In fact, I'm driving down in a little bit to the Houston area to perform a couple audits next week.  In a couple weeks, I'm flying to Denver for two weeks for work.  I tried to schedule them for later in the year so I can see a concert at Red Rocks, but no such luck.  I'll be going back to Denver again in the summer though.  Barenaked Ladies performing there early June, and I'm really trying to be there for it.

• Fraenkel
    2,252 Posts
    Wed, May 18 2016 12:00 AM

The Nike Vapor Fly Pro Irons is presented in the ProShop, Nike Brand and they will probably follow up the driver criteria. It will surely be an excellent set of irons, hope with a fair price.

• TeRmYdOg70
    66 Posts
    Thu, Jul 14 2016 12:59 AM

I have had the Lvl 85 VR Forged irons for some time now and would like some input on wheather it would be worth trading them in and switch to the Lvl 85 Nike Vapor irons.

AVG DISTANCE  220-115      220-115
    TRAJECTORY  High      High
    PRECISION    4.5      4.5
    FORGIVENESS  3.0      3.0
    SHOT SHAPING  0.5      0.5
    SPIN  3.5      3.5
    METER SPEED  4.0      3.5

The only change in attributes is that I will get a slightly slower meter of 4.0 where as with the 3.5 speed of the forged one's BUT bearing in mind that I struggle to ding most of my approach shots.

Would I notice a .5 change in meter speed thus making it easier for me to ding the shot ?

Would the Lvl 85 Nike Vapor irons play differently than the Lvl 85 VR Forged irons ?

I have been using the MAX 5.0 meter speed balls lately but want to go back to using Nike/Cally balls. 

Your thoughts please    

Terry

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Thu, Jul 14 2016 1:27 PM

TeRmYdOg70:
    Would I notice a .5 change in meter speed thus making it easier for me to ding the shot ?

I just changed from the L100 to L97 irons for that .5 slower meter.  With right hand/wrist issues ( too many surgeries in the military)  my reaction time has gone downhill big time with the increased use of pain meds and my favorite beverage while playing golf/wgt. 

It is very helpful.  To top it off I'm trying the L81 Nike balls over the L71 which also have a .5 slower meter.   If it wasn't for the lower durability I'd be playing the max ball.  :)

I think you'd like the extra .5 on the meter, but could also hold off for the L97 irons instead.

• mystry78
    880 Posts
    Fri, Jul 15 2016 4:54 AM
    Has anyone gone from the L85 VR irons to the new L85 Vapor Fly? I tried the L97 Vapor Fly and found that they were affected by the wind much more than the L85 VR's. I was wondering if this was the case with the new L85 set also. Thanks, Frank
RSS