Forums

Help › Forums

im lost for words...

Tue, Apr 5 2011 8:30 PM (24 replies)
  • Nopor
    21 Posts
    Fri, Feb 11 2011 4:10 AM

since recently being promoted to master tier i have had trouble getting under par for a round on many courses, i DO play on most of the courses here and play most of my rounds as ranked, but i don't know why i'm having trouble getting under par when i was at an average of 66, my average now is above 77. its just really frustrating to have put so much hard work into playing my best when as soon as i moved up to the next tier all that hard work has been undone and then some...

• Nopor
    21 Posts
    Fri, Feb 11 2011 4:13 AM

some evidence.. tour pro stats,, yea some are a bit average i know..

02.03.11 Wk 6 9-Hole Unlimited Play Front 9 Tour Pro 38
    02.03.11 Wk 6 Free Multiround Open Front 9 Tour Pro 32
    02.02.11 Wk 6 9-Hole Unlimited Play Front 9 Tour Pro 45
    02.02.11 kiawah island: the ocean course Front 9 Tour Pro 39
    02.01.11 February 18-Hole Unlimited Play Full 18 Tour Pro 72
    01.31.11 pinehurst no. 8 Blitz 9 Tour Pro 68304
    01.31.11 st andrews links: the old course Front 9 Tour Pro 37
    01.30.11 st andrews links: the old course Back 9 Tour Pro 33
    01.30.11 January 18-Hole Unlimited Play Full 18 Tour Pro

• Nopor
    21 Posts
    Fri, Feb 11 2011 4:14 AM

master stats.. really not happy with my scores..

02.11.11 Wk 7 18-Hole Single Play Full 18 Master 76
    02.10.11 Golf Digest New Year's Shootout All Players 319.06
    02.10.11 st andrews links: the old course Back 9 Master 42
    02.09.11 February 18-Hole Unlimited Play Full 18 Tour Pro 70
    02.08.11 Wk 7 9-Hole Single Play Front 9 Master 40
  • MioKontic
    4,643 Posts
    Fri, Feb 11 2011 5:26 AM

Here's my view on the matter.

Moving from Tour Pro to Master you have moved to tees further back.  The holes are now longer.  What you will find is that you are hitting longer shots into greens.  So, the deviation for off-line shots will be greater.  For example, if you used to hit a 9-iron into a green and missed the ding a fraction early, you may end up a couple of feet further left than intended.  Now at Master tier you may be playing the same shot with a 5-iron.  Miss the ding a fraction early and that couple of feet is now a couple of yards.  Now you've got a harder putt.  Further to that, you also now have faster greens which means slightly different putting lines.  With slow greens you don't borrow as much because you have to hit hard and so it straightens out the putt.  With very fast greens that you get at master tier you have to hit with less pace, therefore allowing the ball to take more break.  Finally, I've read although I can't say I noticed it myself, wind conditions tend to be a little harder as you move up the tiers, so you may have to allow more for the movement of the ball by the wind.

So, how to solve it.  Very simple - practice.  Understand how all the elements above affect the ball and adjust accordingly.  You will find many posts of people finding the same as you and practice has always been the advice from the better players.  Also, are the clubs you are using the 'best' for your tier?  I see you are using R9 irons; is the meter speed too fast with them so that you are not hitting the ding consistently (or the area you want if you're not a dinger)?  I've never tried those clubs so I can't say what they're like.  I used to use the L48+ Raptures and have only just recently moved to the G10's.  All personal preference, hence the reason for many different club sets.

Hope this helps.

• Longwedge
    885 Posts
    Fri, Feb 11 2011 7:17 AM

MioKontic:

Here's my view on the matter.

Moving from Tour Pro to Master you have moved to tees further back.  The holes are now longer.  What you will find is that you are hitting longer shots into greens.  So, the deviation for off-line shots will be greater.  For example, if you used to hit a 9-iron into a green and missed the ding a fraction early, you may end up a couple of feet further left than intended.  Now at Master tier you may be playing the same shot with a 5-iron.  Miss the ding a fraction early and that couple of feet is now a couple of yards.  Now you've got a harder putt.  Further to that, you also now have faster greens which means slightly different putting lines.  With slow greens you don't borrow as much because you have to hit hard and so it straightens out the putt.  With very fast greens that you get at master tier you have to hit with less pace, therefore allowing the ball to take more break.  Finally, I've read although I can't say I noticed it myself, wind conditions tend to be a little harder as you move up the tiers, so you may have to allow more for the movement of the ball by the wind.

So, how to solve it.  Very simple - practice.  Understand how all the elements above affect the ball and adjust accordingly.  You will find many posts of people finding the same as you and practice has always been the advice from the better players.  Also, are the clubs you are using the 'best' for your tier?  I see you are using R9 irons; is the meter speed too fast with them so that you are not hitting the ding consistently (or the area you want if you're not a dinger)?  I've never tried those clubs so I can't say what they're like.  I used to use the L48+ Raptures and have only just recently moved to the G10's.  All personal preference, hence the reason for many different club sets.

Hope this helps.

This is great advice Mio. 

I've been a Master for several months now and I didn't come here with a 63 average.  When I first became master it was quite difficult.  I floundered with my average in the 70's for quite some time. You will have many struggles with yourself.  I think that the move from Tour Pro to Master is one of the tougher moves to make, because now you are approaching the greens with low irons instead of wedges (as Mio pointed out), and your par 3's are around 190-210 yards out instead of 155 yards out.  In some instances your tees are 50 yards behind what a Tour Pro hits.  My advice to you is to hit the practice rounds.  Use the cheap balls and figure out exactly what your clubs can do for you. 

The game is designed to be more difficult as you get better at it.  You are going to be a master for quite a while...so sit back and enjoy your current station for a while.  If you want to hit a few rounds let me know, I will gladly.

Good Golfing,

-Long

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Fri, Feb 11 2011 7:30 AM

A Daytona putter would help too. So much better than the Spyder you have now.

• Bluenose12
    2,101 Posts
    Fri, Feb 11 2011 7:38 AM

Just stick at it Nopor,I was ready for jumping off a high building when I first became Master,after playing and playing it all started to fall into place again.It WILL get better.

• Noobingalltheway
    222 Posts
    Fri, Feb 11 2011 11:06 AM

Decent advice Mio, however both Tour Pros and Masters use Very Fast greens, and they also both have "moderate" wind conditions, so really, only the tee part was right, lol

• Nopor
    21 Posts
    Fri, Feb 11 2011 11:39 PM

thanx for the helpfull advice, i have heard the same stories but was just having my little rant,  although i did only recently get the longer driver for the extra distance from the longer tee shots and i cant seem to buy a putt even though most of the games i usually play are the same fast greens as you mentioned, but i will taker onboard the suggestions and keep working at improving, thanx again for having your say too... :0)

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Sun, Feb 13 2011 6:00 AM

Nopor, I feel your pain, got avg to 66.04 Pop up you have advanced to Master.

My avg went to 78 and I have not been able to do anything right. The same putts

you mentioned on very fast greens as a tour pro are not even close now. ????

The 8.5 driver I had used for 2 weeks as a tour pro is now ridiculous. The slighest

bit off a ding and it is in the weeds. I too feel I have been punished for my hours

of play and the money I have spent. Read my post called new attitude in the

everything else section of the forums, kind of explains what we need to do now.

I have also noticed if you shoot 1 under par for a round your avg will still go up.

Thought  a poor round didn't change your avg but it does now.

Good luck

renniw52

RSS