Forums

Help › Forums

Master CANT beat a Legend in match play

Sat, Apr 9 2011 6:46 PM (131 replies)
  • SgtDoodles
    3,112 Posts
    Sat, Feb 19 2011 11:08 AM

I'll give you the answer to you losing: You're careless at putting within 10 foot. Play your shots as close as possible to the hole ALWAYS. When you're 4up with 4 to go, just drop the first putt close and he'll feel the pressure and 3 putt.

Doodles

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Sat, Feb 19 2011 11:20 AM

LouisLewis:
    I just feel it was FLAGRANT. Total yanking of my weary chain. Not good.

You've been here a while, play in the Master tier and have over 200 ranked rounds.  That, in and of itself, tells me it's possible you have the experience to know the difference between your capabilities and a problem with the game. 

It's possible, that under the pressure cooker of competition, we can play differently...we only need to watch the last round of a Major Championship and see seasoned tour pros turn to mush to know what I mean. 

It's possible that a Legend player has the ability to play better than those in lower tiers. 

And it is surely possible that fluctuations in the game can affect our ability to play well. 

What I don't think is possible is for WGT to single us out and intentionally mess up our game, or that they programed the game to give one player an advantage over another.  I would be very disappointed were that the case...besides, it would be counter productive.

Joey   

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Sat, Feb 19 2011 11:38 AM

Food for thought:  If there's a VEM (pretty much acknowledged by WGT) then why couldn't there be a LEVELER?  I'm not saying it exists but there have been times when I'm playing really bad... or really good and it seems the game takes over and brings me back to level.

So maybe in your match it was time for your opponent to have some amazing "make-up" holes to level out his bad round.  And it was time for your game to go into the tank to bring your score into the "normal" range in which you usually shoot.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Feb 19 2011 12:26 PM

Doublemochaman:
    So maybe in your match it was time for your opponent to have some amazing "make-up" holes to level out his bad round.  And it was time for your game to go into the tank to bring your score into the "normal" range in which you usually shoot.

Saying it this way makes it seem like something was planned from the beginning, DMM. I think you're on the right track but I think of it a little differently.

Irrespective of who you're playing, when you're shooting the lights out your VEM factor starts to tighten. Maybe the putt dropped early in the round was a little sloppy but went in anyway. A few of those later and all of a sudden the game gets a little harder. If you notice it you do well. If you're just playing along like a happy clam and don't notice it and don't  tighten your own game up you get what the OP got.

@LL-I have so been there and I'll bet the majority of players can look back and say they have been too. Learn from it.  GL

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Sat, Feb 19 2011 8:46 PM

What in Gods name are you guys smokin' .... 

I've lost MPC's to Tour Masters 60+ times, Masters 270 times, and Tour Pro's / Pros 80+ times -- hell i've even lost to Amateurs and Hacks ... 

Winning & Losing  has nothing to do with "VEM", "The Beast"  or any other spooky kind of WGT vendetta against any player.   

LL ... Looks like you've only played a handful of MCP's ... your stats show you are 3 - 3 vs. masters and 0 - 1 vs Legends .... you choked .... plain and simple.  

Suck it up and move on. 

• MrDonVito
    472 Posts
    Sat, Feb 19 2011 9:04 PM

Do you also think god is speaking to you or that the Russians are planing an attack? Get a grip dude.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sat, Feb 19 2011 9:16 PM

Lou, you should be ashamed to call yourself a Deviant with MPC stats like that.  lol!!  j/k  : )

In a perfect world, a Legend should never lose to any player in a lesser tier, despite the Legend hurdles. These days at WGT.com, Bill Murray would be able to beat most PGA pro's by comparison.  : )

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Sat, Feb 19 2011 9:27 PM

Your right about 2 things Richard ..

1) I am ashamed of myself :)

2) In a perfect world a legend should not lose to a lower tier player

However, in that world each player would have had the ability to achieve the legend tier .... some of us (heck a lot of us) have had it thrust upon us.  I went to bed one night a master with a 68 average and woke up a legend --- go figure.     I call guys like me "Psuedo Legends" ... left to our own play we would never have made it.   

But alas, that's the world we live in .. it's not perfect ... 

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Sat, Feb 19 2011 9:30 PM

Bump^^^^^^           JB

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sat, Feb 19 2011 10:12 PM

Well, Lou, JB, I hope you guys aren't sore at me for my thoughts on the Legend tier.

Are the members who earned their way to the Legend tier going to be scorned by the members who were thrust into the Legend tier? Didn't we just go through this with Legends and Tour Master's?

I guess I can't say what it feels like to be thrust into the Legend tier, but I can say the game plays the same for all Legends equally.

I would really like to know. Does the bitterness come from the fact that some members were put into the Legend tier by no fault of their own, or is it the fact that the Legend tier game-play is difficult to manage, or both?

I'm seriously just trying to understand where the animosity comes from.

RSS