Forums

Help › Forums

BRING BACK CHAMPIONSHIP GREENS

Sun, Apr 10 2011 11:36 AM (67 replies)
  • BacardiAndCoke
    449 Posts
    Wed, Mar 9 2011 3:36 AM

its the same at Kiawah island theres loads of par 4 that are a drive and a wedge

Im saying all tees should be lenghtened so that you dont have people avgering less than 60 as that is very unrealsitic

• ironking34
    749 Posts
    Wed, Mar 9 2011 3:49 AM

I think something as simple as switching the conditions of the ready go tourneys more often (daily or weekly) should add a little bit of difficulty.  If someone plays the same conditions for 2-3 months then they will get accustom and it would surely be easier for them.  The perfect scenerio would be to have different conditions every time you play a ready go tourney (of course I'm not sure who this affect WGT).

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Wed, Mar 9 2011 4:47 AM

When you're a legend, you notice on the map the tees are as far back as they can go, if you would put legend tees further back it would be off the map totally which is mission impossible for WGT, they would have to go out and photo the course again and put the tee in a field or somewhere because the championship tees are ment to be like the real course so WGT can't put a tee back if there isn't one there to photo in the first place.

• ironking34
    749 Posts
    Wed, Mar 9 2011 6:06 PM

Longer tees are not need only tougher conditions.....They changed the conditions for STA front 9 ready go's this week (High winds and tournament greens) and I'm not seeing many sub 30 scores.

• oneputtdavid
    1,337 Posts
    Wed, Mar 9 2011 6:31 PM

rubber23456789:
    have played a thousand games

Oh really?.... One month member, 90+ ranked rounds, no alt shot, <10 match plays.

Please tell us more from your vast experience with this site.

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Thu, Mar 10 2011 2:10 AM

oneputtdavid:

rubber23456789:
    have played a thousand games

Oh really?.... One month member, 90+ ranked rounds, no alt shot, <10 match plays.

Please tell us more from your vast experience with this site.

Another M.A who's shot himself/herself in the foot.....

• TeeWade
    1,216 Posts
    Thu, Mar 10 2011 4:08 AM

zagraniczniak:

Infinito, I'm with you on the need to mix things up to make it more challenging.

As I have suggested before, WGT could introduce weather effects in addition to wind. For example, you could have fog or drizzle making the club a little slippery and thus introducing a greater margin of error on shots. Precipitation would also make the fairways and greens slower, so drives would not carry as far but approach shots would hold more. This would in turn mean, as you suggested, that the green speed could vary from hole to hole, just as it does in real life, especially in the course of the day, before and after the greens are watered, etc. etc.

While it is true that the faster greens faced as players rise up the tiers are generally more difficult than the slower greens, it would be more challenging if good players were required to play different speeds of greens throughout the round instead of always playing the same green speeds. If a player is used to playing the tough tournament greens, for example, it will be harder for him to adjust to the occasional slow green - not easier.

(You did make the fundamental error of using the word "unfair" in a discussion of golf, but I will not mention that.)

Hmmmm thought you said this was the Mona Lisa of Golf games??  Why mess with perfection?   LMAO

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Thu, Mar 10 2011 6:03 AM

OH NO ... RUBBER IS GOING TO LEAVE !!!!!!!!

DON'T GO .. PLEASE STAY ... PLEASEEEEEEEE ... OUR WORLD JUST  WON'T BE THE SAME WITHOUT YOU.

EVERYONE KNOWS YOU CAN'T PLAY ADULT GAMES WITHOUT A RUBBER !!!!!!!!!!

• BacardiAndCoke
    449 Posts
    Thu, Mar 10 2011 10:27 AM

I just played the master version and it was very annoying as we had heavy winds, hard pins and very fast greens which is difficult enough, but what really annoyed me was the fact that every single wind was between 28-31mph and was between 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock and thats just not right

Jessica

• TarheelsRule
    5,551 Posts
    Thu, Mar 10 2011 10:43 AM

The issue at many of these courses like Kiawah and St Andrews is that the legend tees are as far back as they can go.  The course mapping is done and there just aren't any other tees to use.  Since WGT can't bring in the fairways to make the course tighter and it isn't possible to make it longer, the only solution is green speed and winds.  In the case of Kiawah the tournament speed adds about 3 to 5 strokes to your round and the legend tees add a few more, my average was 59 and it is now 65 under the legend conditions.   Frankly the variety of courses is what I like and a variety of holes on those courses.  I don't want 4 par threes that are 230 yards long or 10 par fours that are all 495 yards to me that is boring, we need holes that are rewards for a good tee shot and a nice 9 iron to within 5 feet.

If it is the intent of WGT to increase the scores, the only real way to do this is to decrease the distance of the clubs and / or balls.  I think that is the solution and I also think that is the long term solution on the PGA tour.  A restricted flight ball that is sort of like what the softball teams went to years ago makes it so the courses are true to how they were designed.  Harbour Town is a great 6900 yard course designed in 1969 with tight fairways and small greens.  Back in the early 70's, a score of 2 or 3 under was a good winning score.  Today the tees have been stretched back as far as possible and still scores of 12 to 15 under win the tournament.

The tight fairways don't matter when you can hit a 3 wood 275 down the middle.  The 8th hole is about 475 and used to be played with a driver and 4 iron, today it is a 3 wood and 7 iron.  HT has four par 3's that have been said to be the best four par 3's on any course in america and none of them are longer than 190, today that is a 7 or 8 iron for the pros.  If you restrict their ball flight by 10%, it will make it not necessary to stretch course out to 8k yards and make good oler courses playable again.

RSS