Forums

Help › Forums

BRING BACK CHAMPIONSHIP GREENS

Sun, Apr 10 2011 11:36 AM (67 replies)
  • ironking34
    749 Posts
    Mon, Mar 7 2011 6:50 PM

The game is becoming too easy, when a 27 on BP Back 9 only get you second place in a ready go and a 28 at STA is only good enough for a tie for second (where 15 scores were 30 and below) something is wrong.  After months of complaining about unfair odds US legends finally got what we wanted but the realism has been taken away from the game.  Maybe we need the championship greens or very slow greens back to take away all of the extreme low scores or at least not have us hit in low wind conditions and of course more difficult pin placements.  I'm curious to see what the community thinks about this.

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Mon, Mar 7 2011 7:06 PM

It's the Callaways. :) :)

• Yappy22
    733 Posts
    Mon, Mar 7 2011 7:12 PM

You are drop dead right  !!!! We need more variables, like uphill-down hill lies on the fairways, draws and fades and grip. When a pro shoots a 27 on any coarse something is wrong.

• ironking34
    749 Posts
    Mon, Mar 7 2011 7:12 PM

Yes, it is and now with the combination of the R11's watch out.  It gives it shorter putts and we all know that putting is what separates the good legends from the other players.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Mon, Mar 7 2011 7:26 PM

Hitting into high wind conditions is not the way to solve this problem.  To me, that is more of a deterrent and not a challenge.   I for one don't mind 20 mph winds, it is when they approach 30 mph things become unfair. The reason why I say this is as follows.  Consider a 30mph headwind on the par 5 on SA front 9, and a 30 mph headwind into the 4th hole at SA.  Those two holes with that wind configuration will drastically change the outcome if another player plays those same two holes with a tailwind instead of a headwind. 

I don't like shooting myself in the foot.  I for one enjoy the longer club off the tees.  Gives us a fighting chance playing from the championship tees.  Always remember the game is meant to be fun, and challenging at the same time.  Making the game not fun is inappropriate in the long term.

What can WGT do.

1. Implement lies (sidehill, uphill and downhill), this will give the variability in the equipment naturally.  Hence, no beast.  Also, not being mean here, there should be no indication as to the severity of the lie on the display.  Hence makes the golfer think. 
    2. Implement natural varability in the club.  But, note make it realistic, keeping in mind that it is a computer simulation.
    3. Putting should be challenging, and I have notice that putting as of late has become challenging. 
    4. Implement variable green speeds.  One hole fast, next hole tournament and over the course of 18 or 9 will average out to the speed indicated for that tournament.  But note, the correct green speed should be displayed prior to tee off for that hole.  The reason why I say this playing tournament speeds all the time you may read the break differently.  Throwing in different green speeds may influence the overall result of the round.  
    5. My motto make it fun and challenging.
  • WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Mon, Mar 7 2011 8:06 PM

I never imagined that I will see this thread. I was happy winning 18 hole ready go's with 64-67's back in September.

We love new ideas on how to make the game fun yet competitive + challenging. As always,  it's just going to be hard to make everyone happy.

-wgticon

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Mon, Mar 7 2011 8:12 PM

WGTicon:

I never imagined that I will see this thread. I was happy winning 18 hole ready go's with 64-67's back in September.

We love new ideas on how to make the game fun yet competitive + challenging. As always,  it's just going to be hard to make everyone happy.

-wgticon

TRY!!!!

• ironking34
    749 Posts
    Mon, Mar 7 2011 8:22 PM

WGTicon:

-wgticon

I know it's a computer game and the scores are going to be lower than in real life but let's get some type of realism in the game.  Having to shoot 27-29 every time out to even compete is a little bit ridiculous.  Last year a score of 32-34 actually was winning KW front 9 and Bethpage Back 9, shooting that score now probably gets you 16th place at best.  It's just not realistic to constantly shoot sub 30, sub 30 rounds should be when you're having a special game.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Mon, Mar 7 2011 8:25 PM

ironking34:

WGTicon:

-wgticon

I know it's a computer game and the scores are going to be lower than in real life but let's get some type of realism in the game.  Having to shoot 27-29 every time out to even compete is a little bit ridiculous.  Last year a score of 32-34 actually was winning KW front 9 and Bethpage Back 9, shooting that score now probably gets you 16th place at best.  It's just not realistic to constantly shoot sub 30, sub 30 rounds should be when you're having a special game.

I hear ya, but I just don't know how popular this view is.

-wgticon

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Mon, Mar 7 2011 10:24 PM

Infinito3010:

Hitting into high wind conditions is not the way to solve this problem.  To me, that is more of a deterrent and not a challenge.   I for one don't mind 20 mph winds, it is when they approach 30 mph things become unfair. The reason why I say this is as follows.  Consider a 30mph headwind on the par 5 on SA front 9, and a 30 mph headwind into the 4th hole at SA.  Those two holes with that wind configuration will drastically change the outcome if another player plays those same two holes with a tailwind instead of a headwind. 

I don't like shooting myself in the foot.  I for one enjoy the longer club off the tees.  Gives us a fighting chance playing from the championship tees.  Always remember the game is meant to be fun, and challenging at the same time.  Making the game not fun is inappropriate in the long term.

What can WGT do.

1. Implement lies (sidehill, uphill and downhill), this will give the variability in the equipment naturally.  Hence, no beast.  Also, not being mean here, there should be no indication as to the severity of the lie on the display.  Hence makes the golfer think. 
    2. Implement natural varability in the club.  But, note make it realistic, keeping in mind that it is a computer simulation.
    3. Putting should be challenging, and I have notice that putting as of late has become challenging. 
    4. Implement variable green speeds.  One hole fast, next hole tournament and over the course of 18 or 9 will average out to the speed indicated for that tournament.  But note, the correct green speed should be displayed prior to tee off for that hole.  The reason why I say this playing tournament speeds all the time you may read the break differently.  Throwing in different green speeds may influence the overall result of the round.  
    5. My motto make it fun and challenging.

I'm no way near legend, but...in the real world (as portrayed by WGT) you will never find grren speed changing hole to hole(as you are askng)....you will notice as the day goes on, greens will slow down some if watered that day...or speedup oi left dry....but never have i played a course where I had slick greeens on one hole, slow greens on he next,,,...etc....

\Also...it woul atually be more realistic t have high winds on one hole, no winds on the next, etc, etc....that's really what happen in the real world....so maybe advocate that instead?

But to each thier own opinion, just mentioning mine...have a great round!

RSS