Forums

Help › Forums

question for anyone that knows

rated by 0 users
Wed, Aug 17 2016 2:38 AM (22 replies)
  • alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Fri, Aug 12 2016 6:16 AM

The wedge (full and punch shots IIRC) has been practiced here forever, though heavily and unduly criticised by some. At first, spin control was possible, but it was then disabled - it may have been considered too successful :(

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Fri, Aug 12 2016 6:57 AM

One way to maybe find out would be, go see what your longest putt is in your stats , then try to go longer with a wedge shot on the green , then check to see if it got recorded as your longest putt. 

• Young46
    1,298 Posts
    Fri, Aug 12 2016 7:14 AM

Yes, wedges on the green do count as putts. 

• ct690911
    7,205 Posts
    Fri, Aug 12 2016 7:21 AM

Robert1893:

alosso:
    It may be like this on a mobile device, but on PC, I see "5 putts" indicated after five-putting, both on scorecard and in stats. Of course, this contributes to the "Three putts or more" stats.

Good to know.

The wedge shot on the green can come in handy. I've used it a couple of times with some success.  

I've played against people who use wedge or driver as a putter...and very successfully. I recently played a guy who used only his wedge for putts, regardless of distance or break. Ironically, he carried an expensive Nike putter in his bag. 

As Alosso pointed out, the use of anything but a putter on the green has been discussed ad nauseum...it is not against the rules. I have seen PGA pros also use wedge on the green (Chris DiMarco is but one)...although it may give the greenskeeper heartburn.

ct

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Fri, Aug 12 2016 7:42 AM

ct690911:
    it may give the greenskeeper heartburn.
    As my first pro said:

"Divots are part of the game - let the greenkeepers care for the lawn!"

In the real game I try to find a balance by playing "divot" shots on the greens only when inevitable. I've only once used a hybrid on the green in a tournament, for an incredible long uphill putt from the front to the back, but I failed - the wee divot would cause a miserably short "putt".

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Sun, Aug 14 2016 3:52 PM

+1 Paul!

Any observing player will notice that virtual greens show no divot marks while fringes etc. do.

IRL, I don't expect any greenkeeper to object against playing by the rules which includes iron shots !from the correct green!

• Thunderchikin
    2 Posts
    Tue, Aug 16 2016 8:12 AM

I'd like to know why in the hell it takes 3 weeks or longer to get approved to post on here?

• TopShelf2010
    10,899 Posts
    Tue, Aug 16 2016 10:58 PM

RSS