Forums

Help › Forums

Only have 600 credits..need new driver

rated by 0 users
Fri, May 27 2011 8:10 AM (20 replies)
  • TheProfessorX
    41 Posts
    Thu, May 5 2011 7:54 AM

Right now I am at Pro(Level 28) and I want to upgrade my driver.

I am using the starter driver that you upgrade to for free in your bag.

I want to be able to add about 10-20 yds per drive. I currently average 221 per drive.

Is the TailorMade driver for 600 credits worth it or should I try to get another one?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, May 5 2011 8:32 AM

The Ping is better-it has 1/2 dot more in accuracy. The rated yards tend to understate the average distance you'll get so either one should get you your 10-20 yards. However, you really gain a lot if you get one of the 900 credit drivers. That will last you a lot longer in terms of when you would need to upgrade it.

• rutgernohl
    188 Posts
    Thu, May 5 2011 9:03 AM

But if u really want to lower your score think about buying 2 wedges  and buy some balls for extra distance.

rutger

• TheProfessorX
    41 Posts
    Thu, May 5 2011 9:11 AM

Thanks guys.

I see that both of you are right in what you are saying.

I definitely need some new balls and some wegdes.

I think I will wait until I can get the driver for 900 credits instead of the one for 600.

Those three things are going to be my next step in what I add to my bag.

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Thu, May 5 2011 9:22 AM

When I was able, I upgraded from the Starters to the Tour Plus set.  It's pricey, but by far the best clubs for that level.  I saw a dramatic drop in my scores after that.

And yes, that driver is 20-25 yards longer than the Starter.

• TheProfessorX
    41 Posts
    Thu, May 5 2011 9:31 AM

I think I sh

JaLaBar:

When I was able, I upgraded from the Starters to the Tour Plus set.  It's pricey, but by far the best clubs for that level.  I saw a dramatic drop in my scores after that.

I really want to wait until I get 300 more credits for the Ping one but the 20-25 yards is definitely tempting me to jump on the one for 600.

• rutgernohl
    188 Posts
    Thu, May 5 2011 9:36 AM

JaLaBar:

For less credits u will be able to buy the taylermade R11. So why would u even buy the tour plus?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, May 5 2011 9:36 AM

Anything you do will help. What you don't want to do is jump the gun and get something you will grow out of really quick. The advice about the wedges is good but in your situation I think you're right to go after the length off the tee. Just be smart about it.

@rutger-He was talking about the whole Plus set, not the driver.

• 8buster8
    649 Posts
    Thu, May 5 2011 9:54 AM

The tour pro driver @ 245 yds for 250 credits is a steal imo compared to what you are considering.  This is a good "stepping stone" driver I waited way too long to get.  It will let you cut the corner @ BPB #9 from your tees and have some $ left for wedges even.  The meter will take some time to get used to for sure but my slow brain eventually adapted (and I use free balls... always)

• TheProfessorX
    41 Posts
    Thu, May 5 2011 10:13 AM

8buster8:

The tour pro driver @ 245 yds for 250 credits is a steal imo compared to what you are considering.  This is a good "stepping stone" driver I waited way too long to get.  It will let you cut the corner @ BPB #9 from your tees and have some $ left for wedges even.  The meter will take some time to get used to for sure but my slow brain eventually adapted (and I use free balls... always)

Wow.  Thanks for this tip. I think I will consider getting this and then getting some wedges.

RSS