Forums

Help › Forums

Spider Putter Question

Thu, May 19 2011 7:15 AM (26 replies)
  • JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Sat, May 7 2011 12:29 AM

YJ - I actually started playing with pitches, chips, etc.  I was too erratic around the green.  I was reading here where someone said they use nothing but the Satin64 around the green full shot, and I tried it.  I find I can control the end point a lot better with that, and it greatly reduces the reads on the green.  It's played more like a super pitch.  On the uphills I can hit it right at the pin with backspin or no spin and it will usually stick right by the hole, or if I hit it backspin on downhill pins, it rolls softer than a pitch or chip at the cup.  I've chipped in from the rough at the front of BPB #15 by hitting it with backspin 5 yards past the cup and rolling it back down that hill.

I guess it's the same as with putting, whatever works best for you.  I found the length of follow up putts I was attempting when scrambling around the green went down considerably, which helped my putting stats.

As far as the inconsistency of distance, it's not really.  Yes, the clubs don't fly the % of listed length when you squelch down, but they do fly the same consistent length in the same conditions hit with the same strength.  The only challenge was in learning what distances I'd get from what %.  Right now, I feel like anywhere within 40-50 yards (depending on lie), I can hit it stiff with the 64.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, May 7 2011 6:23 AM

JaLaBar:
    Right now, I feel like anywhere within 40-50 yards (depending on lie), I can hit it stiff with the 64.

Sounds like you have that 64w under some pretty good control. I highly encourage you to look at the punch with that same club. AvatarLee hipped me to it and I was amazed at how quickly it became a key shot. I use it from all lies, including 40-50, from as low as 12 yards out of 40-50 to the full 41 off the fairway. Spin does a good job of stopping it and with a little (very little) practice you will see the same. The next time you find yourself 37-38 yards out try hitting the punch about 95% and watch what happens.  ;-)

• StrangeMagic
    1,304 Posts
    Sat, May 7 2011 6:32 AM

YankeeJim:
    I use it from all lies, including 40-50, from as low as 12 yards out of 40-50 to the full 41 off the fairway.

YJ, I agree with your post but have not gone as deep with the 64w punch as you have.

I personally always felt any shot hit with less than 50% power became extremely unreliable...like a crap shoot.

How do you hit a 12 yd 64w punch?

and

How do you compensate for 40-50 rough with the 64w punch?

SM

• dallasga6
    24 Posts
    Sat, May 7 2011 6:45 AM

Rich,

FWIW... at tournament speeds the 1st click is 12.5ft, 2nd click is 26ft & full putt is 33ft on a level green. I assume you can deduct 10% for very fast greens & 20% for fast greens. Hope this helps....

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, May 7 2011 8:01 AM

StrangeMagic:
    How do you hit a 12 yd 64w punch?

70% swing out of 40-50.

StrangeMagic:
    How do you compensate for 40-50 rough with the 64w punch?

Trust that it goes 12 yards.  :-)

I don't use that shot very often, I just know it from having mapped that club in all roughs. The CGs have effectively changed some of the shots. 12 yards out in 40-50 is a CG80w pitch now, for example.

• Hoolahoof
    163 Posts
    Mon, May 9 2011 10:27 AM

RichCash:

I had a regular wgt putter with an increment of 30,60 etc...

I read on the forums that the 30 length had 5 increments of 6 feet to equal 30. When you started to increase power you could see the putter go back every 6 feet until you reached the full 30 feet. 

When i switched to the spider they have increments of 25,50 etc...so i thought the 25 footer would be 5 increments of 5 equaling 25!  That's not the case. On the 50 footer it is 5 increments of 10 to equal 50...

Does anyone know if it is 2 increments of 10 and then 1 increment of 5?

I got so used to putting that way, that I am disappointed in this spider putter. Can anyone tell me any info on this spider putter?

thanks,

I hope i explained it correctly.

Dallas was right.

Green speeds aside..the Spider's 25 foot scale is broken into thirds. First position is 8.3 feet, second position is 16.6 feet, and last and max position is 25 feet. Knowing this you can really dial in your distance inside 25 feet and avoid 3 putts.

• leilou
    19 Posts
    Thu, May 19 2011 7:15 AM

Hi

Had trouble with the spider after getting used to the standard meter length myself.

Try this it may help...

25'----------x 8' 3" for each increment

50'----------x 10'           "  "

100'--------x 12' 5"       "  "

150'--------x 16' 6"       "  "

This is for standard greens....hope it helps

Ade

RSS