US OPEN qualify or quantity?

rated by 0 users
Sun, May 22 2011 1:49 PM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • tigertrox
    7 Posts
    Wed, May 18 2011 11:29 AM

WGT,

I would like to submit that the next big tournament with a qualifying round should NOT be unlimited play!

Honestly I may never see the top 10 of a single play round, but I still believe it diminishes the quality of the tournament if you give unlimited chances to perfect the entry. 

Giving one shot at qualifying will at least level to playing field more.  Even the best players  make mistakes and miss hits at times, and some others get a lucky bounce. The scores would not be so distorted at that point.

The alternative is to follow the old saying, "If at first you don't succeed, try again, and again, and again, and again, and again..." 

...until you reach 55 for one round (Congrats to BolloxInBruges!) and have fully exploited the system as it now stands.

(If you shoot an unbelievable first round, then my hat's off to you)

So, to sum it up...This US OPEN at Congressional is more about quantity of rounds to perfect your score than the quality of your game to qualify.

• TarheelsRule
    5,551 Posts
    Wed, May 18 2011 11:36 AM

I totally agree with you and have expressed this opinion as well.  I think the US Open should be open for practice for a week or two and then you have either a single qualifying round or do it as the PGA does, you have the first two rounds to make the cut and everyone gets into the tournament.  Let the USGA prizes go to those who make the cut rather than play 50 rounds to qualify.

Another alternative is to limit the qualifying round to 5 or 10 or a reasonable number.  That won't keep the same folks from winning but it will let those who can't play 500 rounds in an attempt to qualify have a chance.  When the tournament starts you will quickly see those who played 100 times to qualify as they drop out or card a 75 in the first round while the good players still are at the top.

I realize that WGT is all about plunking down the credits for those balls that are burned up in qualifying but if you opened it up for practice you would still get the burn.

• PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Wed, May 18 2011 11:45 AM

I concur.

I'd say three attempts. Make it interesting as well. If you post a fair score first attempt say 65, then you lose that if you go for a second attempt. Your decision. Once in the second/third attempt you need to match or better your 65 or you are stuck with the 68 that you then post.

Let's test them bollox. Lots of hand shaking over the mouse.

Easy to see what WGT they have the British open very shortly. My betting is they ignore it and let all the top players cruise through qualifying.

• StrangeMagic
    1,304 Posts
    Wed, May 18 2011 12:34 PM

All good points and I tend to agree.

But one dilemma, would be the very large WGT public outcry if players were not allowed to play a much anticipated new course more than 3 times! In essence waiting almost a month for the championship to be completed before the masses could again play the brand new course. Gawd, I can hear the screaming now!

The obvious answer would be 3 rounds to qualify and then keep the brand new course open for normal public play. If WGT were to do this, it would take most of the excitement and anticipation away from the pending championship, however.

Just sayin........

SM

• PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Wed, May 18 2011 1:08 PM

Allow everyone to play 9 on practice rounds.

Or unlimited play after they have had their three qualifying attempts.

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Wed, May 18 2011 1:42 PM

Let em play all they want, then a week before the tournament 5 qualifying rounds with different conditions for each round. The average of the 5 rounds determines where you stand.I also think they should consider a tournament for each tier. :-))

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Wed, May 18 2011 2:10 PM

Just to have my say, I think the current system with unlimited qualifying and single-play final rounds is perfect.

And BTW, Bollox posted a 56 within a couple hours of the course going online.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Wed, May 18 2011 2:33 PM

I'd tend to agree the actual qual rounds should be limited, but you cannot limit practice rounds.

PGA doesn't limit practice rounds before a tournament...maybe open up practice for a week...then so many qual attempts?

But really, the only reason we mere mortals are talking about this is we can't shoot sub 60's our 2nd time through the course! :)

If we really want a chance, we need to petition WGT that the top players only be allowed to carry 2 clubs, and neither can be a putter.

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Sat, May 21 2011 8:43 AM

I agree with Baggese as far as the 2-clubs.  Although I'd let them carry a starter putter....and maybe a 5 or a 6-iron.....lol

As for limiting the qualifying rounds?  Look at Bollox's first 3 Qualifying rounds....62......59.......56.  Limiting qualifying won't affect a player of that calibre at all. 

(Unless of course, said player required 50 starts to post those first 3 scores...but in Bollox's case I can't see that)

Anyway, what it really does...is prevent those who need 50 or 100 tries, and a career-score, from qualifying through simple repetition. 

Kinda like in real life....

I also like the 4 round format, with the cut after 2 rounds that was mentioned.  But maybe you could mirror reality even more, and have regional qualifying before that? 

Possibly a number of 2 or 4-round single-play tourneys, with entry determined by country or state of residence? You could have US regions as well as international regions.  Top X in each region qualify for the 4-round Open.  Or something like that.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Sat, May 21 2011 9:25 AM

Nice idea of a 4-round final, with a cut after 2 rounds.

I say that only as a spectator, as my own chances of qualifying dwindle by the day.

What's an extra couple of rounds after all of the hype and buildup?

As far as the qualifying, limited or unlimited it serves its purpose if the best players do qualify - which apparently they do.

• PAGES
RSS