Help › Forums

US OPEN qualify or quantity?

rated by 0 users
Sun, May 22 2011 1:49 PM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Wesdogg75
    2,431 Posts
    Sat, May 21 2011 10:02 AM

When the US Open does start it will be 2 rounds of 18 holes single play for both and I'm sure the winds will be high and greens will be championship........and I bet the top players will be around 60.......they were last year at Oakmont on a tougher course so the number of times they play it doesn't matter watch the scores in the Open they will be low for the conditions and will be single play for all.

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Sat, May 21 2011 11:51 AM

Jerm65:

I agree with Baggese as far as the 2-clubs.  Although I'd let them carry a starter putter....and maybe a 5 or a 6-iron.....lol

As for limiting the qualifying rounds?  Look at Bollox's first 3 Qualifying rounds....62......59.......56.  Limiting qualifying won't affect a player of that calibre at all. 

(Unless of course, said player required 50 starts to post those first 3 scores...but in Bollox's case I can't see that)

I was restarting until I got off to a decent start after that first 62.  Did post the 56 within a few hours of waking up though so it wasn't an enormous amount of restarts.

I personally like the unlimited qualifier. Gives the people really determined to make it a lot of time to do it.

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Sat, May 21 2011 12:33 PM

BolloxInBruges:
    I personally like the unlimited qualifier. Gives the people really determined to make it a lot of time to do it.

If you want to score well, as bollox mentions you have the opportunity if you keep at it, no ones had more or less of an advantage, i remember last year when i was pretty new and was trying to qualify for st andrews & oakmont, fair enough i only had a rapture (old system ofclub unlocked at every tier ) but i missed out by 1 shot, i was gutted not to qualify, but determined to qualify this time, which i have.  People who miss out this year, will only get better for next year.

On my first go ever at Congress i scored 67, 64, 61 then 58 i think (will check later), but for usga qualifier, if i hadn't scored -2 by the 4th, i would re -start, but its the same for every one.

One thing's for sure, my putting has improved over the last few weeks, i even sunk 2, 25 footers in my qualifying round, and i sink 10-15 footers as easy as i used to sink 5 footers.(most of the time, depending if  i hit ding or not)

But i would like to say,BinB if you ever have spare time, i would deffinately love to have a round with you in the near future, your considered one of the best players , and it would be a privelage to have a game with you.(Wont get a single whine) LOL

• borntobesting
    9,680 Posts
    Sat, May 21 2011 1:49 PM

BolloxInBruges:

Jerm65:

I agree with Baggese as far as the 2-clubs.  Although I'd let them carry a starter putter....and maybe a 5 or a 6-iron.....lol

As for limiting the qualifying rounds?  Look at Bollox's first 3 Qualifying rounds....62......59.......56.  Limiting qualifying won't affect a player of that calibre at all. 

(Unless of course, said player required 50 starts to post those first 3 scores...but in Bollox's case I can't see that)

I was restarting until I got off to a decent start after that first 62.  Did post the 56 within a few hours of waking up though so it wasn't an enormous amount of restarts.

Not only does the unlimited qualifier give people who are really determined to make it a lot of time to do it. It also gives those of us who are not good enough to make it the chance to play it many times that we would not have if the qualifying was limited. It also gives us the opportunity to try some different things that we might not be willing to try if the qualifying was limited. Such as one round I used nothing but punch shots for my approaches. If the qualifying was limited I would not have even thought about trying that. 

• HarryC1967
    16 Posts
    Sat, May 21 2011 7:46 PM

a buddy of mine in michigan said he could give me the program to slow my download to a crawl, so I could hit the meter everytime perfctly, I choose not too cause it would take the fun out of the game, so keep your crazy scores, I will play fair like the rest of the majority on here, see ya in the open 

• Sanco
    1,345 Posts
    Sat, May 21 2011 8:32 PM

I personally don't enter competitions as I am not good enough and therefore does not bother me how it is set up, however I feel for those who'd like a chance at qualifying but are limited to the amounts of times they can play due to their work commitments in order to pay tax to support those who can.

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Sun, May 22 2011 7:50 AM

BolloxInBruges:

Fair enough.  I wasn't trying to imply those were all "single-plays" by the way. I might have to hang up the sticks if they were!  It was more of an educated guess that it probably didn't require a huge number of restarts for you to post those 3 scores.

BolloxInBruges:

Agreed. If for no other reason than getting to watch 55's and 56's being posted to the leaderboard! lol  Well, that and the unlimited play on a brand-new course.  There's always that part...

The original "complaint", or concern was that unlimited qualifying gives an advantage to those people with time available to try and qualify.  And for those just over the cutline, it probably does.  However, that simply mirrors the fact that a PGA pro spends 8 or 10 hours a day on the course, whereas a weekend warrior spends 8 or 10 hours a week.  Hmmm, there's that reality thing again.

And as you point out, that simply means that those people really determined to make it stand a better chance of doing just that.

On that note, I'm really determined to contract a severe case of WGT-itis that requires at least a week off work! *cough*

PS: awesome movie! (I'm assuming that's what the back half of your username refers to?)

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sun, May 22 2011 1:49 PM

I am not sure if it gives an advantage that a week of practice wouldn't give them either. There are those that can practice far more than others during the week and therefore they would have the advantage as well. I recently shot a 60 even with still having 2 bogey's. Either way there is no way you can have an equal playing field and unfortunately the old saying applies here "it is what it is!"

• PAGES
RSS