Forums

Help › Forums

open scoring..Royal St Georges

Tue, Jun 14 2011 2:30 AM (119 replies)
  • suncity28
    1,266 Posts
    Fri, Jun 10 2011 5:31 PM

Putting is the secret to low scores..

The top guys are all over 60% 1 putt percentage.

I am sitting at 69.10% 1 putt average so if you work it out if I play 10 holes I've made around 7x 1 putts  = -7 if I am playing well can be a lot lower.

If I am playing a tournament or RG , & hit a bad shot & looking at 30ft putt I am not trying to roll it close for a tap in par. I would spend 90 sec - 2 mins working the putt out to roll it in.

1 - 10ft can not miss them

11ft - 20ft Are very makeable

30+ find a way to get them in the hole & move to the net hole.

Improve putting & spending time on putting & putting alone will help anyone shot low , but not shot low then bad but be constant with low scores.

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Fri, Jun 10 2011 5:46 PM

RevBigDaddie:

Too low,..but please,...please,...how is it that these new course openers have such low scores? I really would like to know. I've never questioned anyone ability but a (54)

Are there secrets to the game or tidbits about playing someone could help me with? Maybe there's a "Clean" Caddy software out there I'm not aware of and if so,..please send my the web address.

Just saying,..

Rev

Its about know what to hit every time and if you miss you drain the putt.   Its not hard to comprehend, the best drain 20ft like there 10ft.  

It's about being repetitive and learning when things don't go right.   Did you use 24 sets of balls on US open qualifier?  Likely not.  I know I did.  And likely some of the top players have used even more.    So when you are willing to put that kind of time and effort into something, good scores will come.   

Cheers,

b0gey

• borntobesting
    9,682 Posts
    Fri, Jun 10 2011 6:00 PM

suncity28:

Putting is the secret to low scores..

The top guys are all over 60% 1 putt percentage.

I am sitting at 69.10% 1 putt average so if you work it out if I play 10 holes I've made around 7x 1 putts  = -7 if I am playing well can be a lot lower.

If I am playing a tournament or RG , & hit a bad shot & looking at 30ft putt I am not trying to roll it close for a tap in par. I would spend 90 sec - 2 mins working the putt out to roll it in.

1 - 10ft can not miss them

11ft - 20ft Are very makeable

30+ find a way to get them in the hole & move to the net hole.

Improve putting & spending time on putting & putting alone will help anyone shot low , but not shot low then bad but be constant with low scores.

True Sun. I just blew what was probably my best chance to make the cut line for the U.S. Open qualifier by making 3 bogeys due to 3 putts. make those 3 par putts and I would have had a 59. And I also missed 2 or 3 birdie putts from 8 to 10 feet that I should have made.I don't care how well you play from tee to green if you don't putt well your scores will suffer. 

• RevBigDaddie
    21 Posts
    Fri, Jun 10 2011 6:14 PM

Thank you for this great answer!

Rev

• RevBigDaddie
    21 Posts
    Fri, Jun 10 2011 6:18 PM

Did I use 24 sets of balls? Please clarify . Thanks

Rev

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Fri, Jun 10 2011 6:42 PM

RevBigDaddie:

Did I use 24 sets of balls? Please clarify . Thanks

Rev

Did you use 72 balls playing the open????

• RevBigDaddie
    21 Posts
    Fri, Jun 10 2011 6:56 PM

If I knew the answer,..I wouldn't have ask the question. Nevermind.

• RickBarenes
    215 Posts
    Fri, Jun 10 2011 6:57 PM

That is the truth putting My first game 7 am first day of the open I missed 12 birdie putts withinside 8 ft of the hole(Java wasnt flowing good yet lol) missed an eagle but made  birdie ended up even par i think or just didnt post.GOT TO MAKE PUTTS to win

• oneeyedjohn
    9,570 Posts
    Fri, Jun 10 2011 7:17 PM

I wish to applaud your generosity   wildcat18racing6. That is a wonderful gesture.

I know because someone did the same for me last month and it totally transformed my game .

I'm learning evryday here and look forward to playing with you guys who can shoot sub par golf.

Regards and I take back my previous slur Wildcat.

1 eye

PS. I concur wiv everything said about PUTTING. Have just got the Rossa, but the meter is hard to control. If I can't conquer it soon I may gift it to ?????  someone

PPS.  How do you gift someone a club if you have already bought it ?  I tried to gift a driver but ended up mistakenly selling it for 25c and screwing up the process.

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Fri, Jun 10 2011 8:09 PM

RevBigDaddie:

If I knew the answer,..I wouldn't have ask the question. Nevermind.

so did you use 72 balls thus far during the US open qualifying?  My gut says maybe 3.  

It grows tiresome to see the mentality of if I can't do it, it must be impossible.   In reality, most have no clue.   Until then keep your peanut gallery chirps to yourself!

Cheers,

b0gey

RSS