Help › Forums

sub 60 round

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jul 28 2011 2:14 PM (24 replies)
  • JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Mon, Jul 25 2011 2:31 PM

Kalliste,

I was never a non-believer, just a 'when?!?!' guy, but I too had struggled.  It took me several months to shoot my first sub-30 9 hole round, before I finally dropped a 29 on the front side of SA.  But for 18, my best had been 62 twice at BPB.  During the run up to the RSG Open, I shot a 62 several times in the qualifier, but still could never break through.  I topped my best 9 during these rounds, shooting 28 on the front 9 once but falling apart on the back, and threw in a couple of 29 front 9s.  Finally, the last week of qualifying, after a ho-hum 31 on the front that almost induced a restart, I decided to finish out the round and shot an 'OMG' 27 on the back that really should have been a 26.  So there it was, a 58.  Sadly, the cut had dropped to 57, but that round showed me what was possible.  Since then I have shot 60 at Congressional and 60 at SA, but haven't gone below 60 again... yet.

This week, I am upgrading my Irons and Wood.  A couple more weeks, my Driver.  Then we'll see... I imagine in the time after I get used to the new clubs but before I move to Legend, some very low scores could be possible.

Edit:  And it's all about the putting.  A month ago, 1'-5' was almost certain, 5'-10' was iffy, 10'-15' was a total crap shoot, 15'-20' was unlikely, and outside 20' was pure luck if it dropped.  Thirty days later, 1'-5' is automatic, 5'-10' is most likely, 10'-15' a good possibility, 15'-20' even money, and even above 20' I feel comfortable.  I am certain, both from made putts and missing closer, I have shaved 2-3 strokes off my game.

• boozybob1
    89 Posts
    Mon, Jul 25 2011 2:53 PM

JaLaBar, this was very encouraging to me.  So, I will keep trying and I agree with you about putting.  Like the saying goes "Drive for show, but putt for the dough"

• at3517
    1 Posts
    Mon, Jul 25 2011 3:17 PM

anyone who shoots sub-60 is a cheater.

• mrenn29
    380 Posts
    Mon, Jul 25 2011 3:36 PM

at3517:

I'd waste my breath here but 257 ranked rds isnt worth it.Congrats on the sub 60 rd,its an accomplishment in itself.

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Mon, Jul 25 2011 3:39 PM

boozybob1:

JaLaBar, this was very encouraging to me.  So, I will keep trying and I agree with you about putting.  Like the saying goes "Drive for show, but putt for the dough"

I'd like to say I had an epiphany on the greens, and in a way I have, but it wasn't unexpected.  I don't know if you can expect an epiphany.

I always left putts low.  I would tell myself, over and over 'Play enough break', and over and over I would two putt from 8'-20' because I didn't play enough break.  Once in while I'd make one, once in a while I'd overcompensate and play too much, but pretty consistently I'd play too little break.  I don't know what changed or why, but in the week before shooting that 58, I just started playing enough break.  In the 27 back 9, I had 10 putts.  No holed shots from the fairway.  6 birdie putts, one eagle putt (62', my longest ever), 1 missed birdie putt (on 18, to qualify, from 22'), 2 par putts.  I'll take 9 of 10, though to be fair, I was on fire on approaches.  I'd estimate the average length of the birdie putts was 9'.

What stunk was I started birdie-eagle on the front 9, and could only muster one more birdie the next 7 holes, 2 putting 5 of them (the birdie followed a missed 50' eagle putt).  I had been playing the front very well, and it was reasonable to expect a 30 at most starting -3 after two... but nope, a 30 would have qualified me... I shot 31 LOL.

Next year...

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Mon, Jul 25 2011 3:42 PM

mrenn29:

at3517:

I'd waste my breath here but 257 ranked rds isnt worth it.Congrats on the sub 60 rd,its an accomplishment in itself.

LOL, I started to quote this for truth, but then the body of the message changed.  Yes, anyone that can do anything in life that at3517 can not do is cheating.

• ifixpcs
    130 Posts
    Mon, Jul 25 2011 3:47 PM

at3517:

This is gonna be your first post...REALLY?

• Kalliste
    1,414 Posts
    Mon, Jul 25 2011 5:47 PM

Finally did it   -13 at Kiawah for a 59! Happy Days  and thanks for the replies to my previous post.

Kalliste.

• manabouttown11
    573 Posts
    Mon, Jul 25 2011 7:15 PM

I just hit a 29 on the back 9 at Kiawah. Admittedly it was in practice off the gold tees and standard greens, but i am very happy to know IT IS possible. Gives me great confidence as an Amateur that someday i might just might be sort of decent at this game.

Many thanks to all who have posted tips.

• dandaley
    83 Posts
    Mon, Jul 25 2011 9:14 PM

Did not your mother teach you if you have nothing nice to say then say NOTHING?

You Sir are ignorant!  

When you shot a 62 on 11-23-2010 DID YOU CHEAT, most likely not you probably had a friend of yours shoot it for you. (statement un-researched and can not be proven)

Got the idea now?

RSS