Forums

Help › Forums

Putting Tip: Distance Control

Mon, Jan 2 2023 5:14 PM (1,173 replies)
  • woodrowwilson
    22 Posts
    Mon, Jan 31 2011 5:48 PM

CMcCartney727:

Have to ask, does anyone else experience ups and downs as much as I do?  I will have many nights were absolutely nothing goes in, and the next night I make everything!  It's actually pretty frustrating.. Is it me?  Maybe the alcohol kicks in quicker on some nights?  It is all or nothing for me most of the time on the greens...

I am convinced that medium to small amounts of alcohol are key to putting. You have to "see" it, or at the very least, think you do.

Too much drinky can make you neglect details such as wind, or making sure it has the speed to roll 2-3 feet by. It can also widen your focus from a part of the hole to the whole hole making it seem even harder.

I also have my ups and downs, but haven't found any valid (sober) evidence to accuse the game of algorithm foolery.

PS. "all or nothing" makes me think you might be ramming everything home. Is that the case? Except for putts under 4 feet, you will most certainly be better off hitting exactly 2-3 feet by.

It can be frustrating, but let's do our best and have some fun!

• woodrowwilson
    22 Posts
    Mon, Jan 31 2011 5:52 PM

TracyMax:

SHRUDE:

Hey and anyone wanna know the 'secret' on LOFTING

dont aim for the ding, aim for the first bit of blue.

works pretty well on the driving also

Key to driving for me. I miss with the wind for distance, and against for accuracy. If you don't have forgiving clubs, this can mess with your distance something fierce. I hope they come out with irons where it doesn't cost you distance to work the ball.

• CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Mon, Jan 31 2011 8:23 PM

woodrowwilson:

CMcCartney727:

Have to ask, does anyone else experience ups and downs as much as I do?  I will have many nights were absolutely nothing goes in, and the next night I make everything!  It's actually pretty frustrating.. Is it me?  Maybe the alcohol kicks in quicker on some nights?  It is all or nothing for me most of the time on the greens...

I am convinced that medium to small amounts of alcohol are key to putting. You have to "see" it, or at the very least, think you do.

Too much drinky can make you neglect details such as wind, or making sure it has the speed to roll 2-3 feet by. It can also widen your focus from a part of the hole to the whole hole making it seem even harder.

I also have my ups and downs, but haven't found any valid (sober) evidence to accuse the game of algorithm foolery.

PS. "all or nothing" makes me think you might be ramming everything home. Is that the case? Except for putts under 4 feet, you will most certainly be better off hitting exactly 2-3 feet by.

I'm only half-kidding about the alcohol thing ;)  Actually, I do pretty well with the speed of the greens.. everything does stop within a foot or two.. but it is how I 'see' the putts.. some days I see the breaks perfect and everything drops right in the middle, and others I keep burning the edges.. I'm not accusing the game of anything.. obviously it must be me.. just wondering if others experience the same thing.  I do admit I probably overthink it after I lip out a couple, and then it's all over!

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Mon, Jan 31 2011 9:20 PM

CMcCartney727:
    but no one misses more 6-10 foot putts than me, and I'm good for at least 1 or 2 violent lip-outs a round.

Ha wanna bet?

-G

just ask any common man

• fassetta1
    2 Posts
    Wed, Feb 2 2011 12:53 PM

great tips on the putting!!

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Thu, Feb 3 2011 8:37 AM

okay not much for you "ole pros" but got MY FIRST  BIRDIE on #15 at Bethpage!  At least I'm excited, may be a while till I get another--but for now I'm excited!

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Thu, Feb 3 2011 4:57 PM

Hey zagraniczniak----doesn't have anything tp do with putting--------------how do you pronounce you name?????????      :-)

• Longwedge
    885 Posts
    Thu, Feb 3 2011 8:14 PM

CMcCartney727:

woodrowwilson:

CMcCartney727:

I'm only half-kidding about the alcohol thing ;)  Actually, I do pretty well with the speed of the greens.. everything does stop within a foot or two.. but it is how I 'see' the putts.. some days I see the breaks perfect and everything drops right in the middle, and others I keep burning the edges.. I'm not accusing the game of anything.. obviously it must be me.. just wondering if others experience the same thing.  I do admit I probably overthink it after I lip out a couple, and then it's all over!

CMcCartney,

I have the same issue.  I'm good with speed...any speed really.  Very Fast, Tourney...I have speed down and usually stop the ball within 1 foot past the hole.  My problem is the break...I might be the worst at taking a 9 foot putt and leaving it 3 inches right or left of the hole, or burning the edge.  Some days I'm on and everything falls, and then other days I feel like I leave 5 strokes out there.  Frustrating, but I feel like I can overcome it and be more consistent eventually.

Good Golfing

-Long

• VatoWoods
    579 Posts
    Fri, Feb 4 2011 10:52 PM

Great stuff, all the tutorials are great way to start as a new player to learn, still read them from time to time to refresh my memory.

Putting being 43% of any given round, why have we not considered implementing the Putt Blitz format, which I posted as a suggestion (included) some time ago? Anyone reading these suggestions, most of the hot threads are related to putting, distance control, putting green, etc..

Keep up the great work, appreciate the site! (do miss my family though, LOL).

Hope that my fellow golfers agree, and support the Putt Blitz!

Thanks, VatoWoods

Posted in November 2010**

Dear WGT, Wanted to suggest a Putt Blitz format, consisting of strictly putting, if nobody has yet to include one? The recent Blitz game has been a lot of fun to play, is not time consuming, and has strengthened my iron play, with accuracy and consistency! Implementing a Putt Blitz format with 9 holes of challenging putt distances, breaks, elevation, etc..would not only be fun, but also improve another area of our respective games. Thanks, VatoWoods

• resozv
    895 Posts
    Sat, Feb 5 2011 6:41 AM

Yes!! it's finally here. Only 47 box tops from Rasinettes +s & h. The Y___y® putting guide.

RSS