Mon, Jan 2 2023 5:14 PM (1,173 replies)
  • borntobesting
    9,681 Posts
    Mon, Oct 10 2011 4:24 AM

SGTBilko:

Rzbk:

nivlac:

That's what I like to hear! :D

One last thing.  I didnt' make a mention of the 150 foot scale putter because I don't use it.  As of this writing the 150ft putter is believed to be about 10% stronger than it should be, thus it's more of a hamper on your short game than anything else.  If you get stuck with the 150ft scale then I really recommend pulling out the flopper or hitting a chip.  You're better off.

I  don't know why you lined this out but I have a question .

Is it legal and socially acceptable to hit with a club other than a putter while putting??

Thanks

In accordance with the rules under the USGA, there are no prohibitions on the type of club to be used on putting surfaces. You might remember Phil Mickelson pitching from the bottom part of a two-tiered green to the top part during the 2002 Ryder Cup.

Unfortunately, unlike Phil Mickelson, most of us won't be able to take a perfect divot that can easily be replaced. Most of us would dig up a good portion of turf and damage the green. I would say it is not socially acceptable and you might really piss of the greens keepers as well.

I just remembered this. When I was in college I played a round at a private club as a guest of a member. On one hole I was just barely on the edge of a fairly large kidney shaped green with a small bunker between the cup and my ball. I chipped over it. The greens keeper just happened to have been mowing the fairway and saw me. He stopped mowing and kicked me off the course. You may be able to do it by the rules but not in front of the greens keeper.

• flaccus
    516 Posts
    Tue, Oct 11 2011 4:17 PM

borntobesting:
    You may be able to do it by the rules but not in front of the greens keeper.

Calchavecchia did it one day at the Australian Open in Melbourne. Similar circumstances. Big headlines, quite legal. He got to play on!

• concan
    17 Posts
    Thu, Oct 13 2011 3:16 AM

yes sir im horible putter so i went on rented one of those putterstroke teach deals how does that deal work havent been on course since bought it, does it go on your putter or lays on the ground or what

• faithalone
    18 Posts
    Fri, Oct 21 2011 4:53 PM

Thanks so much for the tips on putting, tried your tips and for the first time ever I had two straight birdies. You are one in a million.

• Fubar057
    170 Posts
    Mon, Oct 24 2011 2:23 PM

Sorry , but couldnt fig. out where to post this, hopfully someone can explain this to me.  I know that blue is uphill and red is downhill, but if u have a 20ft putt and it states that u have a 8ft incline (uphill) 28ft total. and the line starts from the putter is blue ,but halfway to the hole the line changes to light blue, My question is do u add more footage than the orginial 8ft and how much more, Same with a downhill putt that goes from red to pink ???

• TotteSwede
    512 Posts
    Thu, Oct 27 2011 12:49 PM

Fubar057:

Sorry , but couldnt fig. out where to post this, hopfully someone can explain this to me.  I know that blue is uphill and red is downhill, but if u have a 20ft putt and it states that u have a 8ft incline (uphill) 28ft total. and the line starts from the putter is blue ,but halfway to the hole the line changes to light blue, My question is do u add more footage than the orginial 8ft and how much more, Same with a downhill putt that goes from red to pink ???

Your uphill putt doesn't become longer or shorter due to the colours (in theory), but it will affect how much and when the putt breaks, if you have a break on it. For instance if most of the incline is early then your ball will travel slower at the end and thus break more there. If most of the incline is at the end, then the ball will break less early due to higher speed for the first half of the putt.

For downhill putts if you have a lot of decline close to cup, it is wise to not overshoot the power of the putt as you can go way past the hole.

You can move the marker between the hole and your ball to see where and how much the incline/decline varies.

• Fubar057
    170 Posts
    Fri, Oct 28 2011 12:35 PM

Thanks for reply.

• JTeezer1
    14 Posts
    Sun, Oct 30 2011 7:30 AM

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Putting

I usually calculate tournament green speeds at 70%, very-fast at 85%, and fast at 90% (if it's a 10' putt and 1" uphill, figure it's 11 feet, multiply that by the 70/85/90% factor and that's how hard you should hit it)

Fast =Distance + or – Elevation x .90 = Putt

VeryFast =Distance + or – Elevation x .85 = Putt

Tournament =Distance + or – Elevation x .70 = Putt

Average =Distance + or – Elevation x 1. = Putt

Slow =Distance + or – Elevation x .1.1 = Putt

Chip Shot

• 1) What is your lie in the rough and how far away is the green. Remember if you are more than 2yds from the green, don't use the chip.
    • 2)What is the elevation difference.
    • 3)What is the break of the green where your shot will first hit the green. The break may be slight near the hole, but remember that the ball rolls for 75% of the shot. Try dragging the aim arrow to where you think the ball will touchdown, and check the break there also.
    • 4)Always practice using 1 type of chip. I always use backspin, very rarely using topspin or no spin, so all distances given are using backspin.

Pitch Shot

The pitch shot gives about 50% air travel before hitting the green. This means less time rolling, and less influence from the break.

• 1) From 30/40 rough add 0 yard
    • 2) From 40/50 rough add 2 yards
    • 3) from 10/20 sand subtract 1 yards
  • docmac1960
    21 Posts
    Sun, Oct 30 2011 9:02 AM

Thx JT  will deff try your formulas.

• JTeezer1
    14 Posts
    Sun, Oct 30 2011 9:11 AM

I seen Putt and wind calculators on ebay.

RSS