Putting Tip: Distance Control

Mon, Jan 2 2023 5:14 PM (1,173 replies)
  • lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Thu, Sep 1 2011 2:07 PM

TeeWade:

YankeeJim:

TeeWade:
    No earthly reason why there can't be an automatic view from behind you to line up your putts

Yes there is. You need the exact picture and if it wasn't taken from that exact GPS location you get the next best view. You'd need a silly number of pictures to cover every scenario. Not likely.

Simple solution is to take pics from around the greens then. Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr make the view pan around. Real Golf doesn'ty have you look at a putt in reverse or from 180 degrees away from the back of your ball. Kinda stupid to putt when your're looking at you avatars face .

I can only hope the yachts have drunk drivers and run smack into the mansions!

your replies have been without considerable thought.  there are limits, both real and artificial to everything.  in this venue, on this game site, it is, i'm sure a dollar investment issue, balanced by a decent result.  if it was to be your way you would be able to "walk" the course.  you are makeing unresonable demands, they make no business sense at all.  my nickel.....go sit on the dock of the bay and watch the drunk captains run thier yachts into thier mansions.

• docktar
    3 Posts
    Sat, Sep 3 2011 10:00 PM

All of that is true except when the game screws up and it putts the ball on it's own while you are still holding the left mouse button down waiting for the swing meter to reach the strike line.

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sun, Sep 4 2011 3:48 AM

docktar:

All of that is true except when the game screws up and it putts the ball on it's own while you are still holding the left mouse button down waiting for the swing meter to reach the strike line.

I have been playing this game a long time and have never seen that, either it is set for easy swing, you need a new mouse or battery if is it wireless. 

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sun, Sep 4 2011 3:57 AM

TheLonewolf01:

Hi,

I got this info from another of our club members, I found it helpful and hope you do to :

Get yourself a roll of masking tape and cut a bit off, the length of the power bar. Cut 1/3 off it length wise just so it's nice and narrow. Now mark lines on the top at 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 length. Then on the bottom mark 1/3 and 2/3 along.

Stick that on your monitor just under the power bar. Your putting especially will massively improve now you can see where e.g. 10 and 20 feet are exactly on a 30 foot bar. 

---

With putting in general, if you're going down hill, add extra bend for curved putts.

Also, as a basic guide add on a foot for each inch up hill and take off a bit more than a foot per inch down hill. You can do roughly the same for wind on long iron shots (1mph to 1 yard).

Or you can send me your email and I will send you this below. Nothing fancy I have one for the Daytona, Redwood and Ghost putter. Absolutely free to anyone that asks. as for your basic guide of adding and subtracting, you are correct in theory but this has to be based upon your level. I can tell you as a legend I quickly learned that theory does not hold water at all. The key is the less you have to raise the meter bar the more likely you are to hit your mark. I personally prefer the early/late method and rarely move the marker.

• TeeWade
    1,216 Posts
    Sun, Sep 4 2011 1:05 PM

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Sun, Sep 4 2011 1:20 PM

You are confusing animated, 3D rendered computer graphics golf with HD photographic golf.

If WGT went back and took hundreds of thousands of new photos so you'd never have an awkward putting angle would you be willing to help pay for it?

Think of your own house as a putting green.  How many photos would you have to take to make sure every angle, every elevation, every length by every degree on the compass, was covered?

• TeeWade
    1,216 Posts
    Sun, Sep 4 2011 2:01 PM

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Sun, Sep 4 2011 2:30 PM

Okay, I'll tell you. 

That's about 2300 additional photos (one for every degree and from 4 different lengths and two additional elevations) per green X number of greens WGT has in this game. 

That times the cost of procuring them times implementing them divided by the number of players wanting this feature which gives you the exact angle on every putt on every green = About $750 per person.  Not credits, but real dollars. 

TeeWade, that's a lot of clubs and balls.  Are you still willing to help pay for it?

And I'm guessing WGT would like this money upfront.

• TeeWade
    1,216 Posts
    Sun, Sep 4 2011 5:21 PM

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sun, Sep 4 2011 7:02 PM

TeeWade:
    Now when can I expect this procurement and implementation of said items above?

After the other 1000's of us write our checks....ohh...1000's minus one, since I won't be included.

Please send to members@wgt.com

RSS