Forums

Help › Forums

Length on chips etc

Thu, Jul 28 2011 7:28 AM (27 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jul 26 2011 6:55 AM

The % of the swing does not directly translate to a % of the yardage. 90% swing with a 21 yard club does not give you 18.9  yards. That 90% swing you used obviously was too hard so hit it less next time. This is where practice will allow you to figure out how hard to swing to get a certain yardage, something Soul called mapping.

• SweetiePie91
    269 Posts
    Tue, Jul 26 2011 9:42 AM

YankeeJim:
    The % of the swing does not directly translate to a % of the yardage. 90% swing with a 21 yard club does not give you 18.9  yards. That 90% swing you used obviously was too hard so hit it less next time.

But I still don't get why a 21 yard wedge will go further than 21 yard when I hit it 90%. the 90% was just an example btw to show that when I hit it with LESS than full power it goes further than it says it should WITH full power.

As someone said earlier, the ball did not bounce in a downslope, this (and many other shots I've made) was on a slight uphill green all the way from where I stood and to the hole. 

YankeeJim:
    This is where practice will allow you to figure out how hard to swing to get a certain yardage, something Soul called mapping.

Why not just tell me how far a chip will go with full power and all standard conditions like all the other clubs do? Instead I have to "map" my chips/pitches? This seems very awkward to me.

Tell me how far the ball will go under normal/standard conditions like with all the other clubs!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jul 26 2011 9:49 AM

SweetiePie91:
    Instead I have to "map" my chips/pitches? This seems very awkward to me.

How do you do it IRL to maintain that 3.5 HDCP?

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, Jul 26 2011 10:18 AM

SweetiePie91:

Why not just tell me how far a chip will go with full power and all standard conditions like all the other clubs do? Instead I have to "map" my chips/pitches? This seems very awkward to me.

Tell me how far the ball will go under normal/standard conditions like with all the other clubs!

The distances are taken from fairway to fairway average, so in theory, if you are on the fairway, hit a 21 yard chip shot,the ball should travel about 21 yards.it's obvious greens are smoother, hence faster than fairways, so ball "usually" will go further, depending on green speed, lie (fringe or type of rough)

Type of clubs and balls you use, will vary the shot quite a bit, as will the spin you put on the ball.

There is no "x power equals y yards"all the time, again, no one has to tell you how far your ball will travel, find a flat green and practice, write some notes down, then you;ll have the information for "From the fringe, 2 inches down hill, 1/4BS with starter ball and chipping wedge goes y yards".

• DaimoPESfan
    2 Posts
    Tue, Jul 26 2011 11:06 AM

All of this is really interesting and all, but I think we really need to see some moar pics from SweetiePie91.

• FuzzyBallz
    179 Posts
    Tue, Jul 26 2011 11:19 AM

SweetiePie91- - I was having a huge problem trying to figure out the chip and/or pitch for the same reason every shot regardless of how similar, was never close. Ball control and aiming point never gave results that could be kept inside a 15 foot circle regardless of tactics I used.

So I gave up on my faith in being able to do so when attempting to hold the green to placement of ball in relation to flag. I got tired of ball going short then long by more then 4 yards, for a shot that had little to no break / uphill 2 feet / 27 yards away. Watch my ball land then die at 22 yards - same shot, same fairway, same green next round because I was trying to learn so I could repeat it / hit it same as I did for the shot that just landed 22 yards to watch ball land with in the same spot then roll 4 yards past the hole for a total of 31 yards, for a difference of all most 30 feet between the two spots.

I took to flopping everything with full back spin when given the chance to do so, by flopping everything I can keep the ball with in 6 yards of the pin not great "but at least it is repeatable" with results very consistent. NOT RECOMMENDED play by all players to do this / but it is what works for me and it is I that is playing.

What works for "Bobby the Boomer" might not work for "Don the Duffer" or "Steve the Shanker".

P.S. SweetiePie91 check your pms sent something to help show and explain what I am doing different that has helped me enjoy the game more.

• SweetiePie91
    269 Posts
    Wed, Jul 27 2011 5:23 AM

YankeeJim:
    How do you do it IRL to maintain that 3.5 HDCP?

If I know that my chip or what it is goes 30 yards I don't want it to go 35-40 when I'm playing it on the course.. LOL Don't you think it takes practice to know the lengths of full shots too?

• SweetiePie91
    269 Posts
    Wed, Jul 27 2011 5:26 AM

MBaggese:
    The distances are taken from fairway to fairway average, so in theory, if you are on the fairway, hit a 21 yard chip shot,the ball should travel about 21 yards.

Thank you! If this is true that was exactly what I needed to hear. I thought chips where measured fairway to green. Hopefully your information will help me in the future :).  

• SweetiePie91
    269 Posts
    Wed, Jul 27 2011 5:27 AM

FuzzyBallz:
    P.S. SweetiePie91 check your pms sent something to help show and explain what I am doing different that has helped me enjoy the game more.

Don't think I've gotten anything, but thanks for the info :)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jul 27 2011 6:06 AM

SweetiePie91:
    Don't you think it takes practice to know the lengths of full shots too?

My point exactly. It works for all shots if you know how they act and you know that by doing it, not trusting a rating or spec.

RSS