Help › Forums

putter pal is not my pal....

Tue, May 22 2012 6:23 PM (55 replies)
  • moonreaderman
    118 Posts
    Mon, May 21 2012 10:33 PM

easternguy:

BolloxinBruges,

You'd be a little more credible if you didn't have a couple of scores in the 60s...bahaha

I just play for fun Botox!

I don't play every day. If you want to be a jerk, go ahead. This is a civil game but you don't have the intelligence to keep it that way. 

• moonreaderman
    118 Posts
    Mon, May 21 2012 10:42 PM

b0geybuster:

moonreaderman:

I have gotten to the point where I expect to hit under par all of the time. I never factored in this wind effect on the green before. These good players could be completely correct but it would be a real kicker if WGT came back saying otherwise. 

On long putts, I mean 30ft +, being perfect is a matter of fractions in your estimate of the way the ball will travel. Blaming it on the wind if you miss can be ruled out if the WGT says otherwise. Then you have to start rethinking. I am not going to change my below par game until WGT says otherwise. 

Another approach would be to listen to what your being told and learn from it. 

Distance is a matter of math, so when the math is proven right over 3000+ rounds, you can determine things by logical reasoning.

Long putts in high winds are affected by putts! 

I am horrible putter in the grand scheme of this game, but you can stick with your 1.82 putts per hole till I go blue in the face telling you about this.

Cheers,

b0gey

Why is everybody trying to be a jerk?

I never said anything negative to anyone about anything. I wanted to know for sure. So far, WGT has not had time to even get back with me on this.

I just played a few holes for fun I was trying to compensate for the wind that was supposed to be there & I kept on screwing up putts by inches where I should have drilled them. I gave it a good shot but so far, the odds are that compensating just a little has made me miss about four birdies that I should have gotten from 7ft away.

Maybe this only works on long putts?

I am still waiting on someone to bring up a forum post by WGT on this or WGT to respond.

In the mean time, keep it civil. As an ex bouncer, I recognize the mentality of the negatives posts. I can only chuckle at the lack of intelligence of anybody that tries to make me look like I am an idiot for contacting WGT to get a ruling on this. You are only making yourselves look like mental dullards. Geez! 

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Tue, May 22 2012 5:12 AM

WGT represented by WGTicon gives a response....Here as pointed out by bollox.

Cheers,

b0gey

• Ihatecheats
    298 Posts
    Tue, May 22 2012 7:07 AM

moonreaderman:

If the S ball has backspin programmed into the ball, thus, it may still have that effect on a green. The programming is in the ball itself......the same with the D ball.

If they can tell me the ball turns off automatically when it is on the green, then there can be no effect on putting.

Maybe the club, the putter, turns this effect off? Who knows. But at some point it has to be turned off.

I think I did notice this effect when I used the Nike ball. The ball shot off my putter a little faster using a Nike ball. I thought about this then. I couldn't stand the Nike ball because it was like using a superball on concrete. I could get used to it but there was nothing I could do about the wild bounces that I had on a couple of holes. This dang ball bounced off a mound on the green like the ball was hitting an asphalt cart path. I have never had any WGT ball do that before.

As I have said before, "I never assume". I sent the query to WGT. Lets let them answer the questions to see what really goes.  

It is you as a player that exerts backspin on the ball. The  dot on the ball at the bottom right of your screen allows you to exert backspin or topspin simply by dragging the spot with your cursor to the top or bottom of the ball to allow the said action that you want.

Not moving the spot on the ball will give neither backspin or topspin. You will notice that this is allowed on the tee, the fairways, bunkers and everywhere else on the course except the green when there is no dot on the ball at all, therefore it is impossible to exert backspin or topspin on the green with a putter.

When you move up a tier or two and the greens get faster than you are used to, the effect on distance, slopes, breaks and wind affect the ball to a much greater effect than you are getting now, so rather than try to explain it to you it will come as an eye opener  that the comments from other posters were only trying to help you.

When you eventually move up a tier or two  you can look back on this thread and realise that it is sometimes better to listen to players who have been there and done that, after all tournament green speed is two speeds faster at least to what you are now playing on now.

Nobody is forcing you to listen to their experience that they are sharing to help you, but just think if you need help with a part of you game in future, will there be as many replies to help you? IMHO.

• moonreaderman
    118 Posts
    Tue, May 22 2012 6:14 PM

(Yes indeed, there is an impact with head and tail winds, especially in the higher winds seen at SA and RSG. At those courses if I have a 15 - 20 mph head- or tail-wind I add or subtract about 5% to total distance. If you have a strong tail wind and a downhill putt, you may want to take off even more!

The best way to see this in action is do some putting on SA #9; go to WGT COMMUNITY/ GOLF COURSES in the top menu bar and navigate to SA #9 and hit play now. Once on green, ignore the pin hit some putts directly into or away from the wind, using 100% of an appropriate putter scale to keep the ball on green. Since the green is Standard speed, you should get close to scale distance with no wind.)

I have fairly good comprehension skills. This explanation is about tail winds speeding up a putt and head winds slowing down a putt.

This explanation does not say anything about effecting a putt to the left or right. So, if this is all that WGT says about programming so far, this issue is still open.

Also, the question of resistance from S balls and more distance on putts with D balls is something this explanation doesn't touch on.

In my mind, this whole discussion is about head, tail, AND cross winds. There is nothing about cross winds in this explanation. These three factors are the factors that would be controlled by the wind. Maybe the wind only controls head and tail winds. I am curious why cross winds were not even mentioned.

I will try this head and tail wind data with my putts...... but so far.... I have only tried this added factor for cross winds and it does not help my putt at all so far. I only try this when I have a birdie try. I have missed a lot of birdies trying to add this cross wind factor in.

It is great that the piece about the wind is found from WGT but my query to them should give more info on this..... but..... WGT has not replied to my query. Maybe this cross wind point is something that they can not answer so quickly because no one has ever asked before.

I will give them another try to see if they will reply.

By the way, I never play practice games. My average is 65.5 and I could care less about some stinkin putt percentage. Like I said, I only play for fun, not stats. 

• moonreaderman
    118 Posts
    Tue, May 22 2012 6:23 PM

MBaggese:

moonreaderman:

If we do put a query into WGT about this, we might as well put in this factor: If you are using an S rated ball, not matter which ball it is, this means spin as in backspin.

Does the S ball backspin have to be compensated for on the green? If you are just missing a putt, is it the backspin of the ball or the wind?......or both?

Other than meter speed, all balls play the same while putting on the green.

It's in the FAQ's as I recall.

Thanks for that info, I just didn't read that about the balls myself. Since I did query the WGT, maybe they will elaborate on that more than the explanation that is out. I do compensate for the D balls like I said, or maybe it is just me. I hate it when I hit the ball too hard and get that roll that lips around the cup and stops 4 inches away.

RSS