Forums

Help › Forums

Gaming PC

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jan 4 2021 8:36 AM (24 replies)
  • Tony08888
    572 Posts
    Mon, Dec 21 2020 10:12 AM

Kind of a gaming PC I guess. That’s what they are calling it.

At any rate I’m looking to get a desktop PC to play this game on instead of a laptop or iPad. I found this inexpensive tower for $189 and was wanting some advice on the components. 

From what I have read on here, it doesn’t take a lot of horsepower to play this game on a PC so I think this might fit the bill.

I do understand some of what a real gaming PC is, so not really looking for a debate here. Just want to know if this is a good fit or should I bump up my exceptions to the $500 range.

Here is what this machine offers: 8 gig of ram, intel core i5 3.2 GHz, Intel GMA 4000 graphics card, 1 TB hard drive, Processor count 4, Windows 10

Thanks for the help,

~ Tony

• Yiannis1970
    3,284 Posts
    Mon, Dec 21 2020 10:48 AM

My only slight objection should be about the GPU, but you should be fine..

• CEverett12
    14,177 Posts
    Mon, Dec 21 2020 11:35 AM

I'm no computer expert , I paid about 850 for my gaming desktop .  If you have a good broadband (cable) internet provider, You should be fine .

• garyk49
    2,327 Posts
    Mon, Dec 21 2020 12:03 PM

Tony08888:

Kind of a gaming PC I guess. That’s what they are calling it.

Here is what this machine offers: 8 gig of ram, intel core i5 3.2 GHz, Intel GMA 4000 graphics card, 1 TB hard drive, Processor count 4, Windows 10

Thanks for the help,

~ Tony

the 4000 is onboard graphics release in 2012, half of the 8 gig of ram is needed for the 4000.  Thinking the i5 may be a 3470 which I think is 3rd generation, they are currently on the 10th. What is the ram speed, ddr2, 3, 4, or 5.  IIRC from reading the 4000 only will support up to dx11, most of the most modern games/gpu's are running 12.  But then again you will pay 140 just for a copy of win10.  Betting that if you lose the motherboard on this machine you are sunk, with trying to get 10 running on anything else.  

I would never call a 189 dollar machine a gaming computer.  Word to the wise.  I run a older emachines on here, dual core with 8gig of ddr2 ram.  On the onboard nvidia 6150se nforce 430, launcher is playable but you have to click early or you will be late.  With the gtx570 gpu in it, it plays great, and that is an older card, soon to be replaced with a gt1030, which is pretty much the same as the onboard in the Rizen 5 series, vega 11.  500 actually might not even be enough, if you want to play much of anything else

• Yiannis1970
    3,284 Posts
    Mon, Dec 21 2020 12:10 PM

I hear you Gary, but the game does not require anything special to play it decently....and remember, not browser involved (bunch of garbage less). Surely, i wouldn't call a 180$ PC a gaming PC but a pacman fan surely would call it that!! :) 

• garyk49
    2,327 Posts
    Mon, Dec 21 2020 1:17 PM

Just trying to warn him, if he expects to play much else with that rig, probably not gonna happen.  Hate to see someone spend 189.00 and then have a MB go bad and it's all over.  I was just pricing out to rebuilt my wifes emachine and with putting a copy of win10 on it, I was in the 600-700 range.  And that is me building.  And that was not for gaming.  Just with everyday use with a GPU, but she decided, if it was going to cost money, don't do anything.  And it all started with a ransomeware attack back in 17,  there was still something somewhere in the machine that showed up on a network scan.(I had gotten rid of it back then)  This was a machine that never got updated from 7 to 7sp1.  It's almost impossible anymore to find anything that works for sp1 let alone just 7.  OS is tied to the MB, you change it on a store copy and you are sunk as far as ever getting it running correct again, without a full copy of the OS.  Now it is a dumb machine for her to do pictures on and not connected to the internet.

Yep it will run it, but the question remains, for how long.

• Tony08888
    572 Posts
    Mon, Dec 21 2020 2:09 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I think I’ll pass on this one. After reading what everyone said, I looked up the specs on the laptop and it is better than this PC.

I think I’m going with plan B. An HP Pavilion Gaming R5 1650.

• AMD Ryzen™ 5 3500 Processor
    • 8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM
    • 256 GB SSD
    • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 SUPER Graphics card.
    • Operating system: Windows 10 Home

It’s a little more than I wanted to spend on a mid-low range gaming PC at $600, but it doesn’t look like a gaming PC so I can slip it right into the den and it looks like a work computer. ;)  Happy wife, happy life.

• Yiannis1970
    3,284 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2020 3:20 AM

garyk49:

It's almost impossible anymore to find anything that works for sp1 let alone just 7.  OS is tied to the MB, you change it on a store copy and you are sunk as far as ever getting it running correct again, without a full copy of the OS.  Now it is a dumb machine for her to do pictures on and not connected to the internet.

Yep it will run it, but the question remains, for how long.

I am still with win7 64 version Gary and everything runs like a charm. I trust my bitdefender, every program runs without any issues. To tell you the truth, i tried for a whole week win10 and literally i threw them out of the window!!! I don't know what kind of programs your wife uses and having problems with 7s but i guess should be new ones more connected to software development (10s) than hardware outdated age.

• Tony08888
    572 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2020 3:59 AM
    Yiannis, are you saying the first tower mentioned is ok? Maybe just change out the GPU?
  • garyk49
    2,327 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2020 4:26 AM

Yiannis1970:

I am still with win7 64 version Gary and everything runs like a charm. I trust my bitdefender, every program runs without any issues. To tell you the truth, i tried for a whole week win10 and literally i threw them out of the window!!! I don't know what kind of programs your wife uses and having problems with 7s but i guess should be new ones more connected to software development (10s) than hardware outdated age.

So am I on this computer, but hers had never been updated to sp1. Can't get anything to work to get that update done. Most any other programs that will run with 7 require to have sp1 installed, can't seem to make that happen. MB can no longer get, even tough to get a MB to still use the cpu, too old(think I bought these in 2009)(very old in computer age)

Emachines loaded win7, couldn't even get the recovery disks to work correctly to change out drive. I was against(still am in some respects)win10.

When my cyberpower built win7 gaming machine crapped out, I had the same decision to make, still had a good I7 cpu, but a dead MB, again os tied to MB. Retail 7 too expensive to buy and this was before end of life, rebuilt a new gaming with win10 home(140 retail), happy so far with the way it plays.

Her programs in question are adobe photo editing, all beyond end of life as far as adobe is concerned, no way to update them, win10 in most cases won't run them.

Tony, it's more money, but think you will be happier with newer machine(laptop not crazy about, but that's just me, I think)

You would need to know what Motherboard on that first machine to know if you can even add a gpu.  Plus the room inside the case.  All newer are PCI-E, you need to have that slot. A lot of older boards had AGP or just PCI(I have some pretty powerful gpus still running around that you could have) nothing runs them anymore.

But yes, that first machine should run WGT ok.  But not much of anything else, beyond basic things.

RSS